Airfix 1/72nd scale Bristol F.2b Fighter, RCMP/RCAF on skis, from 'Death Hunt'...

John Masters

This is such a cool project, John.

A great movie, too.

It's loosely based on a real man-hunt, in which Capt. Brown, of 'Red Baron' fame, flew a machine to assist the trackers. No idea what it was, probably not a Bristol single-seat conversion, but still....

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 9:49 PM, Old Man said:

It's loosely based on a real man-hunt, in which Capt. Brown, of 'Red Baron' fame, flew a machine to assist the trackers. No idea what it was, probably not a Bristol single-seat conversion, but still....

Fascinating.  I didn't know that.  I wonder what kind of aircraft he used?  That would be a fun historical build.

Rigging holes are drilled. Now I begin model assembly.

52379859436_9c17f1db06_z_d.jpg

Exhaust pipes are fashioned from plastic rod...

52380172364_236f11c7d0_z_d.jpg

Two of them.  I'll prime them, paint them and attach them.

52380278815_3ee47d6b90_z_d.jpg

The prop is from the spares.  Since this aircraft was a reproduction to begin with and had a Ranger engine, I think a two-bladed prop is ok.  The Rhinebeck aircraft is a two bladed job...the Aeroclub wheels are for the Nieuport in the Revell GB...

52380093843_2b0609b228_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Looking good John.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:49 AM, Old Man said:

Extremely loosely if the wiki article is correct! Wiki also says the pilot was 'Wop' May flying a Bellanca (I have a feeling it might be covered by one of Dora Wings' kits). It also says the true identity of the fugitive is still unknown, and he was known as 'The Mad Trapper of Rat River' which I think would have been a much better name for the film.

• Haha 1

The struts are given the 'wooden treatment'.  Today I will varnish them with clear yellow.

52392484955_1a4ec55715_z_d.jpg

Looking at the kit decals I was unhappy who them due to off-register printing and age, which brings with it a host of issues.  I have decided to use some of the roundels from the Xtradecal sheet I have of post-WW1 roundels.  This would also fit with the timeline of the movie and/or the actual event, which took place in 1931.  

52392484930_f2ca88e608_z_d.jpg

I have to apply the fuselage decals first so I can lay the exhaust pipes over them.  These roundels may not be perfect, but they work for me and, oddly, match the colours with which I have painted the rudder.

52392366694_50008b13df_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

The struts are looking good, John :) I think you've made the right choice with the decals as well, and extremely fortuitus that they match the rudder

James

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

It's nice to see a Brisfit in fancy colours, John 

Thanks!  It's certainly a change of pace.  I think I like the post-war Brisfits better anyway--silver or pale tan, etc...It's a handsome aircraft to begin with, imho.

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

I think you've made the right choice with the decals as well

Me too.  Thank you.

• Like 1

The exhaust pipes needed to remeasured, re-bent and fitted...

52395581632_d76d2cf7fd_z_d.jpg

I'll clean up the glue marks and touch up the paint later, but for now they look ok.  Flipside is the same.

52396383769_d9ec8d8fde_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

Top wing on.  I glue the cabanes first and then fit in the interplane struts.  That way if one is too long or too short I can adjust with some trimming or scratch built pieces.

52406887641_0843846bfd_c_d.jpg

Undercarriage is primed and fitted onto the aircraft.  It looks a bit wonky now, but it won't be when it's done.

52406887916_d5a6721e38_c_d.jpg

52407180729_fdf2ee590a_c_d.jpg

Prop is all done.  This is usually the final piece to be attached.

52407400563_5e686f725c_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

On 10/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, 81-er said:

Nice work there, John, especially that prop. It really does look like you carved it out of wood!

Thank you James. The struts got the same treatment.   I forgot who showed me how to do this--on The Aerodrome site way back when, probably Steve Lawson....a light tan primer, then swipe on some reddish 'wood' with an ear bud, then when it is completely dry, add the Clear Yellow for varnish. Of course, there are better examples on this forum and elsewhere, but I am ok with mine.  Laminated props are really difficult so I usually skip it.  At 1/72nd scale it can be overlooked, imho. A bristly hairy brush can be used to create wood grain.  Looks really nice, especially on those Albatros fuselages.  

Interplane struts.  All 8 popped in their CA dabbed positions without any fuss.  I'll have to reestablish some of the rigging holes, but that's par for the course with me.

52415961965_005e98c615_c_d.jpg

One side...

52416029263_e36206182e_c_d.jpg

And the other...

52415004357_533b189236_c_d.jpg

Next: skis, rigging, roundels, machine gun...clean up the paint...done.

I really have to step on the gas with this one now.  Because of work I am unable to do a lot of modelling beginning next Friday, so Thursday is my target date to wrap this up.  Then I'll be off island after the weekend until the 22nd.  Nothing serious, just stuff to do on the mainland.  I will be stopping into the LHS in Athens (https://www.fasmamodels.gr).  They are holding a Mig-25 for me...😄

--John

• Like 6

On 10/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, 81-er said:

Thanks for that tip on wood painting as well, much appreciated :)

You're welcome James.  Gotta pass it on, as they say.  I really have to work hard on this today.  

• Like 1

I figure I have about another 24 hours to wrap this up, which means all the rigging must be done tonight.  Tomorrow will be for decals, touch-ups...oh yes.... the skis...ok...I'll give myself 48 hours.  

Rigging.  Once I start it actually goes pretty quickly.  I've done this so many times on 1/72nd that there really is a pattern, a routine, a flow.  The hole drilling is actually the most difficult and time consuming.  But before rigging I go around to the holes with a tiny drill and open up any that may have been clogged by CA during strut attachment.  Then I can begin.

Not really sure of the thickness of this.  Pretty thin.  

52423727763_4430c89f11_z_d.jpg

I cut a stretch, then run it through a black permanent marker.  I'll do this twice, depending on how many lengths I will need.  Since I am foregoing the double flying wires, that means less.

52423207826_fb0af4cb80_z_d.jpg

I break out the jig, CA, pointy glue thingy and hemostats...away I go.

52423498714_594aed7e01_z_d.jpg

52423727738_a6825b9c5f_z_d.jpg

An hour later...I'll let the glue set for a bit then trim the ends with a fresh, curved hobby knife.  Then I'll stretch some sprue for the 'X' wires in the struts, the landing gear rigging and the support wires coming for the wing to the nose.

52423664950_5a70951cca_z_d.jpg

So far so good.  It really looks kind of messy, but it always cleans up well.  

Another couple of hours and I'll have the rigging finished and cleaned up and, I hope, the skis built and on the aircraft.  Crossed fingers.

--John

• Like 7