Airfix 1/72nd scale Bristol F.2b Fighter, RCMP/RCAF on skis, from 'Death Hunt'...

John Masters

This is a place holder...I have the old Airfix 1/72nd scale kit and I have some red paint and I am pretty sure I can rig up a Browning on top of the wing.  For now, here's a taste...

37563760322_2b5082a86a_h_d.jpg

37247047562_873ab4be0b_c_d.jpg

What's there not to like?  Let's check the boxes...

BrisFit--√

Macho film - √

Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson and Carl Weathers - √

Takes place in the Yukon (that's in Canada) - √

RCAF biplane- √ 

The Mods said I could do it - √

I'll get some more images up later...

--John

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK...as promised...this was a long time on coming.  I wanted to build it for the most recent Film/TV GB, but never got 'round to it.  

Here's the box top...a venerable Airfix kit, this one circa 1987...

52319709780_36e492e175_z_d.jpg

The sprue look it too...All pieces present an accounted for.  I searched through the spares boxes, bags and so forth and I was sure I had some skis, but they were all too late (1930s), and Finnish in design.  Not suitable for this aircraft.  A simple scratch build will suffice.

52318466737_25216a8c78_z_d.jpg

Some cleanup will have to take place first.  Lots of knobbly flash and gate blobs.  Heavily moulded ribs...Then, of course, I drill.  Twin bay biplane...double flying wires...I've done it before.  I'll do it again.

Here are some better images of the F.2b reproduction used in the film.  

52319717344_0744cf7f67_c_d.jpg

52319734855_e581e34ae3_c_d.jpg

And the funny looking Browning...

52318491927_c1b970d3af_c_d.jpg

Cheerio!

--John

• Like 8

That lower wing! :zombie:  Going to take a bit of work to get rid of the lumps.

I have one of these in the stash, but the whole wing arrangement has kept it firmly in the “one day I’ll summon the courage” section.

AW

• Like 1

22 hours ago, zebra said:

And that's a very funny looking Browning!

Hollywood Browning...

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

That lower wing! :zombie:  Going to take a bit of work to get rid of the lumps.

I was able to sand down a lot of it.  I'm not sure if it will be noticeable once the paint is on.  Pictures are forthcoming...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andwil said:

get rid of the lumps.

Lumps are right!  I was able to sand them down easily enough and, in the process, reduced some of the heavy rib detail too.  You can still see the 'lump marks' but from the side they are gone.  I think the paint will cover them up...

52327283278_c7f0494f35_z_d.jpg

I'll go back and sand some more, them prime them.  That'll show what I still need to do.  

--John

• Like 4

The wings are sanded and primed in white.  I'll give the ribs some darker tan tone and mask them before the CDL.  The film aircraft seems pretty clean so I won't be weathering this too much.

52329907149_1f676d5dbd_z_d.jpg

I assembled the fuselage.  In the film, I think the rear-gunner position is covered.  I'll have a look at the stills.  I would like to rework the manifold/exhaust area but I may settle for just a new exhaust pipe from plastic rod.

52328650717_03286660d7_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

19 hours ago, John Masters said:

I'll get back to this today.  I've had a tough week with family issues in America.

Very sorry to hear this John. I know how hard dealing with family issues can be when the family is on another continent. Hope everything's ok.

19 hours ago, zebra said:

I know how hard dealing with family issues can be when the family is on another continent. Hope everything's ok.

Thank you @zebra.  It's tough going and time will tell.  

Meanwhile, I did a little work on this very old mould of this aircraft.  I think once it is all done, painted, rigged and with skis, the mould won't matter.

I made a little seat with plastic card and attached the radiator.  It'll need some cleaning up and a bit of PPP.  Also the stabilizers are red, like the fuselage, so that's ok.  I'll prime it all in white and mask off the rudder for a future paint job.  I also sanded down the struts that connect the lower wing to the fuselage.  They were more like tusks...

52348285098_f3c6309697_c_d.jpg

52348037061_f2452efb4a_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

On 9/11/2022 at 6:10 PM, 81-er said:

I hope everything pans out for the best with the family issues too

Thank you James.  Time will tell.  Rough and rocky roads ahead.  

Onward...I think of Dan San-Abbott with great fondness every time I contemplate 'CDL' or 'PC10'....he was a wealth of knowledge. I have his excellent 'Schlactflieger!' book.  When I left the Aerodrome back in...well, I guess I never did, but they changed their format and did away with their modelling section because of...Hmmm...yes...I guess one might say "outside controversy."

This CDL is my own concoction.  And, no, you cannot have the recipe. 😉

52357464468_9754bbd4ed_o_d.jpg

I'll fill in a few small gaps on the fuselage, mask the underside of the stabilizers, give it a bit of primer and make it red tonight.

--John

• Like 5

The red is on.  It looks a bit bright so I'll go over it with some weathering and tone it down.  It's also sitting beneath a work lamp, so...

The tail is masked for the white and blue stripes and the blank space for the registration.

52358042824_9edc440fa4_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

I mixed red with black.  Looks much better.  I also painted the nose section.  In the photos it is a very dark grey, so I used that.

52373365791_fc7286980c_c_d.jpg

I also gave the 'leather' areas some brown leather colour.  This included the seat.

52373784535_ab7b5a7446_c_d.jpg

I think I will finish up the tricolour on the rudder today and begin drilling holes for the rigging.  I will skip the double flying wires.  Maybe.  They do look good when they are there, though...I will also fashion the correct exhaust pipes form plastic rod, as shown in the photo.

One note...The propeller seems to be missing so I will have to find a suitable replacement.  If you follow the link to the The Rhinebeck Aerodrome they show their Brisfit.  Read the last paragraph.  Interesting.  It also shows this one has a two-bladed prop.  I'll go with that as I am pretty sure I don't have a four-bladed number in the spares box.

https://oldrhinebeck.org/bristol-f-2b-brisfit/

--John

• Like 3