B.S.A. Gold Star, 1/12 Gunze Sangyo

Hi Dennis,

Nice photo and thanks!

That's some cool dude. Brings back some good memories of the old bike. It was quite distinctive with the deeply valanced mudguards, the rectangular oil tank and the round face of the gearbox end which made it look like the engine was unit construction when it wasn't. Mine was renowned for its weak crank pin and sure enough, it broke, funnily enough, trying to keep up with my mate's Honda Dream 250. It was completely cured with an Alpha conversion but not before I had to push it home (over 5 miles). I could do it then!

Dave

1 hour ago, Fastcat said:

Hi Dennis,

Nice photo and thanks!

That's some cool dude. Brings back some good memories of the old bike. It was quite distinctive with the deeply valanced mudguards, the rectangular oil tank and the round face of the gearbox end which made it look like the engine was unit construction when it wasn't. Mine was renowned for its weak crank pin and sure enough, it broke, funnily enough, trying to keep up with my mate's Honda Dream 250. It was completely cured with an Alpha conversion but not before I had to push it home (over 5 miles). I could do it then!

Dave

I also had to do some pushing I also had a 500 Matchless with a 350 AJS engine that broke down and I had to push it home, but I also was young and could do it then.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you Jylhami,

The Italeri bike is virtually the same as the old Protar kit but it makes a nice model. It needs a bit of work but it's worth it. One thing - it doesn't make a '50s bike of Geoff Duke like the current box says. It makes a more recent '60s bike by which time, Duke had long gone. Norton changed their race bikes often and keeping track of the modifications isn't easy.

Dave

Beautiful model Dave and not from an easy kit. You've clearly put a lot of effort in to this one. I don't often visit this section of the forum due to a lack of bikes featuring but glad to see your one.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Col.

No, there aren't many bikes and even fewer classic bikes. Such a pity that there aren't more classic bike kits available.

The kit did have me pulling out what remains of my hair at the time. I never could see why some of its construction was the way they chose to do it but in the end, it makes a nice model and if Gunze hadn't kitted it, we'd probably still have been waiting.

Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this thread a bit late. Not many motor bike kits from the sixties. Protar did a few I think, and I would like to get hold of their Greaves.

I think Airfix did a BMW R69 and an Ariel Arrow in 1/12th scale way back.

I can remember this Gunze BSA kit when it was released and wish that I had bought one at the time.

A very nicely built and detailed bike model.

• Like 1