Avro Vulcan BMk2 (Airfix 1/72nd new tool)

Hello Tom,

This is a very nice reproduction of this flying ray, bravo.👍
The deployed scale gives an idea of the size, however this model must be very small compared to the others you have!  :giggle:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

This was a double-take.  First I saw "Vulcan," and then I saw who built it--so I just had to look.  Most handsome results, sir, and you finished this in record time!  Next time something a little more difficult, pleeeeese, like Mach 2's Comet IV.  Thanks! Alex

• Thanks 1

G'day Tom,

Congratulations! That is a truly outstanding build and, I hasten to add, one of the best paint jobs I've ever seen and I've hung around a lot of real aircraft and hundreds of finished models. It's stunning. With the right backdrop and photographer you could pass your model off as the real thing. The only thing, I think might give it away is that overly thick 'out of the box' crew access ladder. Apart from that it's perfect.

I've heard a couple of former Vulcan skippers say that the underside of their Vulcans were not as white as Airfix has them in their paint call out sheet. You've got the closest I've seen to the right 'belly colour'.

Your excellent work makes me want to open my Vulcan box and start building right now. But I won't kid myself that I'll do as well as you did.

Besides I've just started my attempt at a Shackleton. And I see you've done or just started a scratch Shackleton, can't wait to see that build.

Thanks, mate, you've inspired me.

Cheers, 

Bill Halliwell

raafbloke

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 7:16 PM, Snafu35 said:

Hello Tom,

This is a very nice reproduction of this flying ray, bravo.👍
The deployed scale gives an idea of the size, however this model must be very small compared to the others you have!  :giggle:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Many thanks - yes it a little smaller than my usual projects but has made a really refreshing change, not to mention taking up as much shelf space!

On 7/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

Superb. How did you do the masking? It looks very clean

Thank you - the masking was done with Tamiya 2mm “bendy tape” with the remainder filled in with normal Tamiya tape. I sprayed the green first as it was an easier task masking that then the grey. When the paint had hardened, I gave it a gentle polish with some super fine micromesh to remove any paint build up along the masked edges. 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:19 AM, kev67 said:

That is a fantastic model of the Vulcan Tom as always, all you need to do now is the Valiant and Victor

They are on my ‘to do’ list, Kev!

Lovely model of XM575. Well constructed and painted. 575 is one of my sort of local Vulcans.

20220616_134434

On 24/07/2022 at 14:50, tomprobert said:

Two type of jet pipes are provided in the kit, and I had no idea which were fitted to this aircraft so went with the same as the one currently preserved at Duxford as they seemed of the same vintage.

I'm afraid you used the wrong ones. XM575 has Olympus 301 engines, which require the shorter jetpipes. XJ824 at Duxford is a relatively early Vulcan B2 (early enough that the initial order was for a B1 and later changed to B2), whereas XM575 is a mid production B2 built to carry Blue Steel (ordered for skybolt, later changed for Blue Steel when that was cancelled), and as such has Olympus 301s. I think changing them should be possible, if it bothers you. I wouldn't recommend going down the rabbit hole of Vulcan details unless you want to drive yourself crazy; other than the jetpipes you got most of the major ones right.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 12:14 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Lovely model of XM575. Well constructed and painted. 575 is one of my sort of local Vulcans.

I'm afraid you used the wrong ones. XM575 has Olympus 301 engines, which require the shorter jetpipes. XJ824 at Duxford is a relatively early Vulcan B2 (early enough that the initial order was for a B1 and later changed to B2), whereas XM575 is a mid production B2 built to carry Blue Steel (ordered for skybolt, later changed for Blue Steel when that was cancelled), and as such has Olympus 301s. I think changing them should be possible, if it bothers you. I wouldn't recommend going down the rabbit hole of Vulcan details unless you want to drive yourself crazy; other than the jetpipes you got most of the major ones right.

Thanks for that info, Adam - sod’s law dictated that I was bound to select the wrong jet pipes. As the core is firmly glued to the outer pipes themselves, changing them won’t be possible but I can live with it. It seems the Vulcan is a bit of a minefield when it comes to specific airframes and their differences!

All the best,

Tom