Fw190D-9, 'Blue 18'

Hi all, 

This is the excellent Hobbyboss 1/48 D-9 kit, finished as 'Blue 18' of I./EKG(J), based at Pilsen towards the end of the war. EKG(J) was a training unit, tasked with converting ex-bomber pilots to single seaters.  There have been many representations and profiles of this a/c as having red numbers, although the evidence now points to them being blue.  I would probably have pressed on with red markings, had it not been for some very helpful discussion with @SafetyDad, @MDriskill and @tempestfan a few weeks ago.  

Painted with the usual mix of Vallejo and Mig acrylics, and using Montex masks for everything except the octane triangles and the smaller stencils.  Blue 18 seems to have been quite an old D-9 with the early canopy, which came from an Italeri A-8 kit.  Interestingly, I had plenty of Eduard 'standard' canopies but these were all way too long in the tail.  Whether the Hobbyboss dimensions are undersize, or the Eduard dimensions are oversize, I couldn't say.

Anyway, hope you like the pics  :) 

GSt0t5j.jpg

ZAM2fc4.jpg

DHfEFEP.jpg

TkcJx10.jpg

3BXESJY.jpg

bDRopO2.jpg

JU9CyKU.jpg

x8iKbSr.jpg

hauJjmb.jpg

OFTX89K.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok - here's some (hopefully) improved pics, taking into account some of the suggestions down-thread.. :) 

0lTqjDi.jpg

ZQK8euT.jpg

NG1iqbn.jpg

UfKQQFV.jpg

73mdY2B.jpg

f23MP2m.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werdna said:

hope you like the pics

The pics let the build down...  

GSt0t5j.jpg

This would be great on a natural/neutral base, but the blue felt(?)   really jars visually.

Suggestions.  Get a grass matt, or some kind of natural base,  even a sheet of board with painted browny, with some dirt and grass flock scatter,  I have a faded and stained baize topped folding card table I found, which does a reasonable job of grass, doesn't have to be clever, just not distracting,  the other is stand further back, and then crop.  

the one above would work really well if the base was 'natural'  and taken a bit further back, and then cropped.  

Also means you can get a lower camera angle.     This my just be me, but when i first got a real camera as an adult,  one of the first things I took some pics of was the only model I had completed since my teens...    I'm not joking,  I just took said model into garden, was able to get a low angle, focused and used the light meter.  Camera was a Nikkormat.   

example, scanned photo

Ki-8419951.jpg

Obviously on a closer look, you can see the dandelion leaves... but that not what you loo for...

from http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/11/troy-smiths-tamiya-148th-hayate.html  which has a few more.

or this, which I rather like, 
49927192631_dd29d579b6_b.jpg

Real high tech.....grotty old dumped faded baize card table, on top of storage box (to get low angle) some diffuse natural light,  £5 posted off ebay basic point and shoot digital  camera, combined with a lucky gust of wind ..... the prop spins freely on a brassrod and tube...

Just trying to show how simple and basic the above image is.

It could be framed better,  more here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073488-spitfire-pr-xix-airfix-72nd-as-i-thought-it-would-be-easy/page/2/#elControls_3698616_menu

I really enjoy trying to get some decent shots, it's not hard work,  I aim for a first glance not obviously a model effect.   If I'm delusional, no-one here has been cruel enough to point it out... and there are far better photographers and backgrounds on here,  loo up the work of @russ c and @CplPunishment  who has posted guide on how he does photography here https://www.vexillummilitaris.co.uk/?page_id=1299

The model is excellent, you can take good photos,  but  a few little tweaks in presentation would really set your work off,  which is why I'm posting.  

If my pics get in the way, please say and I'll edit out.  

Again,  great model, :goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Troy Smith I completely agree.  Comments much appreciated.  If I'm honest, I dread finishing a build, because it means I then have to take pics of it.  Well, ok - I don't actually have to, but there wouldn't be much point being on here if I didn't... ;) 

I do have a 'grass' base, but I've not used it for ages.  I'll dig it out and put up a couple more later - probably without the old blue bed sheet.. ;) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

Now that's a well-mixed yellow fuselage band!

:selfie:

SD

After our discussions, I went for the 'weak custard' effect... ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jackroadkill said:

Susan-bloomin'-perb, Werdna.  Up to (and maybe even exceeding) your usual high standards.  How you knock them out so quick I'll never know.

Thanks Jack :)   I know I've mentioned it before, but the HB kit is actually a really simple build, great fit with next to no filling or remedial work needed.  A couple of evenings work and the kit can be built and ready for paint.  If it was the Eduard kit, after a couple of evenings I'd still be swearing at the wing root gun covers.. ;) 

• Like 1

Some more pics added to the original post.  The blue bed sheet has gone back into the 'garage rags' pile.. ;) 

@Troy Smith better base (I had this all the time, dunno why I didn't use it), different camera phone setting, taken at further distance and then cropped for close-up...

Nice built!

Perfect done.

Do you have an idea about the starting procedure? For the ground crew?

They had to turn the flywheel on top of the forward cowling! Two men, the pilot seated already.

Happy modelling 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, dov said:

Nice built!

Perfect done.

Do you have an idea about the starting procedure? For the ground crew?

They had to turn the flywheel on top of the forward cowling! Two men, the pilot seated already.

Happy modelling 

Thanks dov.  I have seen FHM's D-13 started using the flywheel (on YT), but I assume they also used the ground starter cart as well...

4 hours ago, Werdna said:

better base (I had this all the time, dunno why I didn't use it), different camera phone setting, taken at further distance and then cropped for close-up...

MUCH better

73mdY2B.jpg

turned into B/W and look like one of those planes found when the war ended and had not moved for a couple of weeks and  the grass was growing....

If the grass mat is not fixed to the base, might be worth rumpling it up and then smoothing out, just to give a little natural waviness to the ground, or get some scissors and snip into the matting to make it as little less even...  I'm wittering again,   glad the suggestions /critique were OK

6 hours ago, Werdna said:

If I'm honest, I dread finishing a build, because it means I then have to take pics of it.  Well, ok - I don't actually have to, but there wouldn't be much point being on here if I didn't...

Well, you don't have too, we get folks who never do an WIP or RFI posts,   though a build like the above would be a shame not to share.  

I happen to really enjoy trying to get some reasonable photos,  as they are good to show to folks who are not interested in modelling and the subjects,  so a photo of a model that does not scream 'model'  is an interesting thing to show them.

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1