Bond Bug

Yes I agree the wheels look like the original Cosmic Alloys that were on various cars in the day.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

More of your very neat work Jörgen, great update! I love how you can make a model of such a mundane car look so interesting!

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith! As long as I have some sort of interest/passion for a subject it's fairly easy to build a descent model, if I don't have that I can hardly work up interest to build at all.

18 hours ago, Marco F. said:

Hello  Jörgen,  a real beauty is on it's way,  I love your WIPs and the results. The  Bond Bug was always an interesting thing for me,  strange and cool. 

Marco F 

Many thanks Marco, I'm very happy you like my builds! The car is cool indeed, way cooler than it's technical spec shows.

16 hours ago, Spiny said:

Got to say that those wheels are really looking the part now.

3 hours ago, PatW said:

Yes I agree the wheels look like the original Cosmic Alloys that were on various cars in the day.

Thank you both very much. I'm really happy with the outcome of the wheels. Then again, my friend Brusefält makes really good 3D-models of wheels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PatW said:

They are actually Dunlop D1 wheels, not Cosmics.

Trevor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klubman01 said:

They are actually Dunlop D1 wheels, not Cosmics.

Trevor

Actually they are Exacton wheels, that was fitted before the Dunlop D1 wheels (I think Exacton went out of business shortly after the Bond Bug indtrocuction, hence the change to Dunlop D1's later). They are very similar, but not copies. 😎

I'll admit I didn't knew about them before I researched this build...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Actually they are Exacton wheels, that was fitted before the Dunlop D1 wheels (I think Exacton went out of business shortly after the Bond Bug indtrocuction, hence the change to Dunlop D1's later). They are very similar, but not copies. 😎

I'll admit I didn't knew about them before I researched this build...

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the better info.

Trevor

• Like 1

7 hours ago, klubman01 said:

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the better info.

Trevor

It took me some time to discover and I think it was Brusefält the pointed it out to me in the first place, that the wheels we were exchanging photos of weren't exactly the same on all photos. The confusion wasn't made easier by one Bug owner who had placed Dunlop centre caps on Exacton wheels... 🙂

• Like 4

A few minutes of spraying later.

BB65.jpg

And after a lot longer time of nervous unmasking the result is this.

BB66.jpg

BB67.jpg

A fine panel line wash will fix the not perfect short edges of the rear hatch.

BB68.jpg

All is not well though. This is nasty and something that hasn't happened before. A little bit of the clear coat separated from the corner of the roof. I reckon I can fill this with thin clear and a paint brush, sand it lightly and polish it out to a descent repair. At least that's the plan.

BB69.jpg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I reckon I can fill this with thin clear and a paint brush, sand it lightly and polish it out to a descent repair. At least that's the plan.

That's the sort of thing I'd try. Before making a total mess and sanding it all back down and respraying! 

Good luck with it :)

Keith

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's the sort of thing I'd try. Before making a total mess and sanding it all back down and respraying! 

Good luck with it :)

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith!

I have built up the clear during the day and it looks well blended together at the edges. It will be left for a few days before trying to finish it. The worst that could happen would be to mask the black doors and give it a second coat of clear. Hopefully not nessecary.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Going back to the wheels, here are two photos I have messed with in contrast a little to show the difference between the two types of rear alloy wheels.

Exacton_Dunlop.jpg

Apart from the cut-outs between the spokes, they are remarkably similar.  Well, you learn something new every day.

Trevor

• Like 1

4 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Apart from the cut-outs between the spokes, they are remarkably similar.  Well, you learn something new every day.

Trevor

They sure are. Imagine our confusion when in among the pictures we were looking at had one picture with the Exacton wheel fitted with a Dunlop centre cap...

• Haha 1

A little decal work later it looks like this, starting to make some sense I think.

BB73.jpg

BB74.jpg

So much for "waiting a few days"... The clear coat repair felt very solid. It was sanded down with 1200 and 2000 paper and finished off with a 4000 pad for polishing.

BB75.jpg

This is after polishing with Meguiar's 105 and 205. It remains a slight wave and a little darker colour.

BB76.jpg

Never mind, it's not too bad and life is too short, this will do even if it's not invisible. More foil work and detail painting next.

BB77.jpg

• Like 10

This Bond Bug was at a local classic car show yesterday.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

These are definitely Dunlop D1 wheels.  I checked with the owner.

spacer.png

Hope they are not too late to be of use.

Trevor

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Never mind, it's not too bad and life is too short, this will do even if it's not invisible.

That is looking really rather lovely (never thought I'd say that about a Bond Bug! 🤣

Good save on the clear coat - neat work!

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klubman01 said:

This Bond Bug was at a local classic car show yesterday.

These are definitely Dunlop D1 wheels.  I checked with the owner.

Hope they are not too late to be of use.

Trevor

Nice! It seems to be well cared for, good to see! Those are indeed Dunlop D1's. Once I learned the differences between the two the easiest way to identify has been the shape of the "spokes", as the vent holes are often obscured in photos.

53 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That is looking really rather lovely (never thought I'd say that about a Bond Bug! 🤣

Good save on the clear coat - neat work!

Keith

Thanks Keith! You never know, soon you might have a Bond Bug on your shopping list 😎

• Haha 1

Despite the wine I had a fairly early morning and first I finished off painting the details on the top section.

BB79.jpg

BB80.jpg

Then I started to fit some smaller parts in the interior. I cut floor mats from 1200 grit sand paper.

BB81.jpg

The rear window was fitted from inside and glued with Kristal Klear in three sessions. With that done the black rear shelf could be glued from underneath.

BB82.jpg

With the thing turned around the rear floor section with the fuel tank was then glued.

BB83.jpg

There wasn't much point in waiting then, so with four small drops of epoxy at the locating pins I made earlier the frame was glued.

BB84.jpg

Then the last ignition wire could be connected to the coil.

BB85.jpg

Back upside down and I have made a start on what will hopefully become the exhaust system.

BB86.jpg

• Like 14