Bond Bug

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

I wonder if the misspelt manufacturer name is a typo - or ti stop the mighty (long gone) Reliant company coming after them for licensing money...?! :rofl:

That looks like a neat kit though, shame it's not 1/24 it would look great next to the Bond!

Keith

I think on a low volume resin kit from Japan in those years it is a genuin typo. A friend once explained to me why Japanese people sometimes have difficulties with spelling using our characters. There are quite a few decal examples, and although I can't recall the reason now, it was a genuine thing.

The kit is very nice indeed, will go well with Airfix Bond Bug, if they ever get it out again. TVC-15 did only a few kits that I know. I have their Heinkel Kabinenroller and Fuji Cabin, both little gems in 1/24 resin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

IThe kit is very nice indeed, will go well with Airfix Bond Bug, if they ever get it out again. TVC-15 did only a few kits that I know. I have their Heinkel Kabinenroller and Fuji Cabin, both little gems in 1/24 resin.

The Heinkel was my first "car" and I have very fond memories of it but never knew there was a kit ever produced of it, so I was delighted to read this.  I've just had a quick search for this one and located one in Japan.  I would have bought it despite it's 20,000 yen pricetag (about £121.00 sterling) apart from the fact that they will not give any indication of shipping costs until AFTER the order is placed!  NOT a way to do business IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neddy said:

The Heinkel was my first "car" and I have very fond memories of it but never knew there was a kit ever produced of it, so I was delighted to read this.  I've just had a quick search for this one and located one in Japan.  I would have bought it despite it's 20,000 yen pricetag (about £121.00 sterling) apart from the fact that they will not give any indication of shipping costs until AFTER the order is placed!  NOT a way to do business IMHO.

You are lucky to find one, TVC-15 kits are very rare. Check to make sure what version it is, they have issued it both in ordinary resin but also in clear resin, which a friend found after I got mine. The clear version is less appealing due to the material.

I have dealt with a number of smaller Japanese shops/dealers over the years for odd resin kits with great service. If you tell me where you found it (PM is ok too) I may - with some luck - be able to give you hint of the service to expect. No, I won't snap it from under your nose 😉

Edit: I found it. I haven't used that service myself, but I have heard of someone who did quite some time ago, apparently without nasty surprices. Saddly that's all I know.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for checking it out.  As you have seen it's the original, not the clear version.  I am extremely tempted but dare not commit to an open-ended and probably quite substantial carriage charge without knowing even vaguely what the cost would be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

A friend once explained to me why Japanese people sometimes have difficulties with spelling using our characters.

Not as much as a problem as us using theirs.....!! :)

Possibly why the Mitsubishi Starion got its name! My great grandfather on my late dad's side was Japanese, but I know absolutely zero about the language... :fraidnot:

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Not as much as a problem as us using theirs.....!! :)

Possibly why the Mitsubishi Starion got its name! My great grandfather on my late dad's side was Japanese, but I know absolutely zero about the language... :fraidnot:

Keith

Coming from a manufacturer that made a car called the Urban Active Sandal I think anything is possible when it comes to how it got it's name :blink2:

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I visited a car show yesterday and there was two Bond Bugs on display . I took some photos , they may be of use to you 

Hope they are of use to you 

Gary.

That's nice, thanks a lot! I really have to make the white triangles for the mud flaps on my decals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

I really have to make the white triangles for the mud flaps on my decals.

They're vital - they must give the thing so much more protection in a rear end crash!! :)

I wouldn't want to be hit by anything bigger than a push bike in one of those things...!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

They're vital - they must give the thing so much more protection in a rear end crash!! :)

I wouldn't want to be hit by anything bigger than a push bike in one of those things...!! 🤣

Keith

When I first saw  those a few weeks ago I thought they looked like a crazy joke, but I think they were original, or at least very common. Their character has grown on me and the last photos from @Windy37 convinced me that they have to be there.

• Like 2

Test fitting in the 3D CAD. We have a set of Exacton 10x5" alloys and a start on the 165/70x10 rear tyres. Some minor tweaks done to the linkage and the brake drums to make it all meet the needed measurements and it's looking promising.

BB26.jpg

• Like 6

Brusefält delivers, the tyres have been finished and we now have a set of 165/70x10 rear and 145x10 front tyres, with a nice pattern we will have more use for in coming projects. I'm very happy with this. I couldn't resist throwing all the parts together just because I could. It's now time for the first test print. I must also start seriously on the decals.

BB27.jpg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

They weren't all orange, BTW. Green and Purple were limited editions. IIRC they were commercial promotions.

Here, Henry and Sam find a green one...

Well, I never knew that.  I've only seen orange Bugs.

Trevor

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

They weren't all orange, BTW. Green and Purple were limited editions. IIRC they were commercial promotions.

Here, Henry and Sam find a green one.

Surprised they knew what it was.  I was flicking through the other day and Shed and Buried came up.  The voice over described a "beautiful Rolls Royce" while the car on screen was clearly a Daimler...  🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Here, Henry and Sam find a green one...

I've heard about some very few white or lime green ones, but didn't know about any purple.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for the 3D-printed parts, but I haven't felt any need to rush that as I haven't pulled myself together to draw the decals yet. Today I have made a start. First I decided the width of the stripes, then I loaded a cropped image as a background object in AutoCAD and started working on the logo. They seem to come in several versions when it comes to the smaller scripts on restored cars, so I used what I could make up from period photos, albeit of lesser quality, for the details.

BB28.jpg

Turn then came to getting some more stuff done in Photoshop, first for the white printing. The small stuff are in no way exact reproductions, and several different scripts can be seen on cars. They will probably be small enough to not matter too much.

BB29.jpg

The stripes where imported for the colour print, and the red logo for the rear hatch added. This is meant to go on top of one or two white printed background decals applied to the black hatch. I had some plan to use a good photo of the speedometer to make a decal for that, but I don't think it's worth the job. Now it still remains to decide the registration number, and type of plates, and do the tax disc.

BB30.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, DD_Crash said:

Crazy thing and an interesting story. I've seen the occasional photo of it in my research.

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

If it weren't for that Bug kits are so rare and expensive that would be a fun one to build

We really need an Airfix reissue!

• Like 3