Bond Bug

This was not planned at all. Not at all. In fact I didn't know of its existence a few weeks ago. As I finished the Moynet LM 75 just about a month ago I was already toying with a small pile of boxes to start another project. It just wasn't clear which one of them it would be.

BB0.jpg

Then I packed a pile of finished models a few days later and went to the GGG show in Borensberg, Sweden. And from there I returned home with this new little box of 1/24 scale resin from Air Trax of Finland. What a nice surprice! And nothing like what I thought I would start next...

BB1.jpg

BB2.jpg

They call it a conversion kit as other parts are needed to complete it, and the small text at the side of the box mentions a Tamiya Mini as a recommended donor. We'll see about that.

BB3.jpg

Here is what's in the box. The parts look pretty good and well cast with almost no air bubbles, much better than expected. There is a clear sheet for the windows, under protective film, and set of decals that do look like short run printing, but still is a nice touch as many might struggle with the  needed decals otherwise. The only parts I can see needed from a Tamiya Mini are three tyres. There is also a need for some detail parts for the interior and exterior and parts to complete the front and rear suspension. There are two sets of rear wheels provided to cover both the standard steel wheels with hub caps (that I didn't know was ever fitted) and the more commonly seen aluminium wheels, that were either Exacton or Dunlop D1, depending on assembly date (which I didn't know before starting this project). However the kit wheels are not an exact match for either, even if they look close. Both types of steering wheels fitted to the cars depending on version are also supplied. There is even an engine for those who like that sort of detail. This will be a joy.

BB4.jpg

My plan is to develop my own set of 3D-printed parts to complete the model, where my good friend Johan Brusefält will most likely do the tyres and rear wheels, as he is a master with vast experience and well established methods for that. He would have to anyway as I wasn't the only one who bought a kit. I will also draw and print my own decal sheet as I think I can improve there.

This is one of those very rare occasions when a new kit never makes a round into my stash. I have already made a fair bit of work, but not come round to starting a WIP-thread. Right now I'm a bit stuck in progress, so maybe it's time to sort out what's been done so far. Here are the three main parts after some quick cleaning and minor filling.

BB5.jpg

They fit together very well and it looks very much like the real thing I think. That moulded in wiper will have to go though.

BB6.jpg

The few parts supplied for the interior were quickly cleaned up and the steering wheel got a new column that is long enough. Pedals and fluid containers where scratched using some scrap box parts as an aid. Here it's test fitted with tape and blue tac. I forgot to place the engine cover for photo.

BB7.jpg

It didn't take long to clean up the rest of the parts. All in all it was a positive experience.

BB8.jpg

Here are the clear moulded resin parts, head lights, front indicators and rear lights.

BB9.jpg

To be able to continue my work without the correct tyres and wheels I went into my 1/1 scale work shop and turned myself three dummy tyres from an acrylic rod I found in my material supply.

BB10.jpg

I fitted the front suspension with thin metal axles so I could vary the ride height as I measure and develop the rest of the suspension parts in my 3D CAD.

BB11.jpg

To get the frame to fit at the correct level/angle I had to glue some thin sheet styrene pieces to the rear locating points.

BB12.jpg

Then I placed the body and frame on my usual set of "ground clearance set up plastic sheets" to try to figure out what I'm supposed to do next. Yes, the cars did have a ridiculous amount of air between the wheels and the rear arches.

BB13.jpg

BB14.jpg

BB15.jpg

Work has gone a bit further, more in the next post.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Wow! A Bond Bug!  Very different to your previous projects.  Not seen one on the road in the UK for a very long time, but they do occasionally appear at classic car shows.  I shall follow with a great deal of interest.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Interesting. The stance looks about right to me. It was a clever design at the time, but there wasn't much crash protection.

Then there was the interesting cornering. A mate in the RAF around 1979 had one with a centralised warning panel from an Aircraft fitted!

On you tube, search Wheeler Dealers Bond Bug, and you may see more detail on their rebuild.

I know I built the Airfix kit when it came out, so this will be one to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine had one of these and when we filled up with fuel someone would always shout out what’s that?! A lump of cheese? Is that a new release as I thought Air Track had disappeared? A quite interesting model this one.Chris 

• Thanks 1

UK number plates changed from silver/white on black, to black on reflective white(front) and yellow) rear in around 1971. You seem to have black front plates! I think the Bug had a self adhesive front plate, you could get these in white.

• Thanks 1

This is great looking project, remember when the 1:1 was released but not seen one for years now.

Stay safe             Roger

• Thanks 1

Well I have absolutely zero interest in the real car whatsoever, but as it's a @Bengalensis build I'll be watching with interest - great work so far!

5 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

UK number plates changed from silver/white on black, to black on reflective white(front) and yellow) rear in around 1971.

From memory of my time working in DVLA it was 1/1/1973

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Wow! A Bond Bug!  Very different to your previous projects.  Not seen one on the road in the UK for a very long time, but they do occasionally appear at classic car shows.  I shall follow with a great deal of interest.

Trevor

Sometimes things out of the plan happens. I do like these odd weird three wheels cars and have a few odd kits in the stash. This was a must do.

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Interesting. The stance looks about right to me. It was a clever design at the time, but there wasn't much crash protection.

Then there was the interesting cornering. A mate in the RAF around 1979 had one with a centralised warning panel from an Aircraft fitted!

On you tube, search Wheeler Dealers Bond Bug, and you may see more detail on their rebuild.

I know I built the Airfix kit when it came out, so this will be one to watch.

Thanks a lot Pete. Yes, the cornering... I still hope Airfix will reissue their old kit, it would be most welcome.

12 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Really interesting project again and not so typical. I can't remember when I saw real one last time. 

Thanks Vesa, always good to have you in. I can't recall when I saw a real one either, maybe on some big car meeting 30 years ago now.

12 hours ago, Kitkent said:

A friend of mine had one of these and when we filled up with fuel someone would always shout out what’s that?! A lump of cheese? Is that a new release as I thought Air Track had disappeared? A quite interesting model this one.Chris 

Haha, a cheese lump indeed 🙂 Yes, it's a new release. The Air Trax guys are still active and had a few other new kits on their table, a Volvo 262C and some other I can't recall now.

11 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Its not the Howmet, but I'm in!

Malc.

Good to have you on Malc, one day there will also be the Howmet 😎

5 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

UK number plates changed from silver/white on black, to black on reflective white(front) and yellow) rear in around 1971. You seem to have black front plates! I think the Bug had a self adhesive front plate, you could get these in white.

I woun't be using those decals, but I had a feeling the registration plates are fishy, also when it comes to the number itself. I'm going to start a separate thread on this topic here very soon to learn more in general before I draw my new decals.

17 minutes ago, Hamden said:

This is great looking project, remember when the 1:1 was released but not seen one for years now.

Stay safe             Roger

Thanks a lot Roger! I was a kid when they were released but have vague memories from some car magazine. And the Airfix and Corgi models of course!

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Well I have absolutely zero interest in the real car whatsoever, but as it's a @Bengalensis build I'll be watching with interest - great work so far!

From memory of my time working in DVLA it was 1/1/1973

Keith

Thank you very much Keith, you're most kind! I will open a separate thread very soon to learn more about UK registrations to get it right.

Here we have the frame with front suspension arm and wheels rigged up so I could take all necessary measurements and sit down in my work office in the next room to start creating parts.

BB16.jpg

I first made 3D dummy models of the rear frame and rear axle, and then I created the brake drums, suspension linkages and springs with shock absorbers. While the parts will probably not be a perfect fit they will be close enough to work without too many modifications when printed. I may also need to give the brake drums a second look when the 3D-wheels are finished.

BB17.jpg

With some more work I also had a front spring/shock, steering arms, wiper, mirrors, fuel cap, gear lever and hand brake. They could probably all be improved but they will do the job well enough for my needs I think. When the wheels and tyres are done this lot will be printed. When my build is done and eventual adjustments are made a 3D-part set will be made available.

BB18.jpg

The supplied rear axle is a little bit too narrow for my need, so it was cut apart and rebuilt with a piece of grey sprue for the axle tubes. The brake shields are still separate so I can slide the rear suspension on when it's done.

BB19.jpg

Next it was time to look at the engine. Not much will be seen and I don't plan an open display of the model, but I still thought I would do a little work. Generator, fan and fan belt with pulleys, starter motor and distributor was added. Some adjustments were needed to the frame and radiator to make it all fit, but not much.

BB20.jpg

BB21.jpg

Fitting windows well to a resin kit like this can be a challenge. In this case they will all have to be fitted from inside. I used the Dremel to thin down all edges from behind to get the glass in good level. This is a little scary work and requires care and a steady hand. To reach up into the area of the rear screen was not easy.

BB22.jpg

I did a little damage in one place, but it was easy to fix with a little filler.

BB23.jpg

The windows have been cut with a very narrow overlap on the inside. This is also a job that needs some patience and care, but it's not difficult. At least as long as there is spare material so one can make a new piece.

BB24.jpg

Bases for the license plates have also been cut from thin sheet styrene. Here is the test fitting of the rear plate.

BB25.jpg

This is where I am today. There will be a small rest until wheels/tyres and 3D-printing is done. Although I still have the decals to draw and print, so I'm not entirely out of work...

• Like 20

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cool a Bond Bug, will tag along. I can imagine driving these would be a bit scary.  The do look quite awesome.

Great start and some interesting work you are doing.

Chris

There is a chap who turns up at local (to me) car shows with a high-powered Bond Bug.  I'm not sure what's done to it but it sounds like a big motorbike engine.

The Bug I'd quite like is one of the four-wheel ones that were (I think) a continuation run (to use the modern term) but with an adapted Mini front sub frame.

If I had the time, money and talent I'd quite like one of those and possibly see if I could adapt the canopy to have a removable roof panel and maybe even a removable rear window, so you get more wind in your hair (not that I have much hair...).

• Like 3

Nice little project Jörgen. I saw your post when you showed it after buying it at the show, I'd never seen it before either. Your extra parts should improve it a lot!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cool a Bond Bug, will tag along. I can imagine driving these would be a bit scary.  The do look quite awesome.

Great start and some interesting work you are doing.

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris, you're most welcome. I guess the driving experience is primitive but interesting and entertaining...

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

There is a chap who turns up at local (to me) car shows with a high-powered Bond Bug.  I'm not sure what's done to it but it sounds like a big motorbike engine.

The Bug I'd quite like is one of the four-wheel ones that were (I think) a continuation run (to use the modern term) but with an adapted Mini front sub frame.

If I had the time, money and talent I'd quite like one of those and possibly see if I could adapt the canopy to have a removable roof panel and maybe even a removable rear window, so you get more wind in your hair (not that I have much hair...).

Turbo charged Hayabusa maybee? There's a lot on Youtube about that one. Seems pretty crazy, but no doubt lots of fun. I think I would be happy with one fitted with a well built but still driveable newer 850 engine.

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Nice little project Jörgen. I saw your post when you showed it after buying it at the show, I'd never seen it before either. Your extra parts should improve it a lot!

Thanks a lot Jeroen. It was a surprice find, but they had just finished it as I understand. It needs to be completed one way or another so I hope the parts will do the job. As I "have" to print I could just as well have the lot printed.

• Like 3

Looks as though this is going to be abother excellent model coming off your workbench. Have to say that I really love the subject matter too - it's certainly something out of the ordinary. As for handling, my understanding of these is that the handling is brilliant in them, provided you only turn right😄

5 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Like Joergen I too would tend twoards suspecting a Hayabusa in there. I've seen a Robin done that way so I would expect the Bond Bug would be a very similar project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I say a WOW too! We had a members club meeting around here at the end of last year. One of my favourite cars in it's day, very cool and quirky. I relation to their other cars the van in particular, I was on my way to work one very windy morning about 40 years ago when I saw a van version in two halves. He had come across a railway bridge parapet, still holding his steering hard over due to the crosswind, as he went through the high wall the car shot across the road. The body came off and on the otherside of the parapet the two halves were on the grass at the side of the road!  

One big question where can we get one and how much are they please?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Spiny said:

Looks as though this is going to be abother excellent model coming off your workbench. Have to say that I really love the subject matter too - it's certainly something out of the ordinary. As for handling, my understanding of these is that the handling is brilliant in them, provided you only turn right😄

Thank you very much, I hope it will work out all the way.

Yes, it feels like there must be a difference left/right if your alone in the car. Interesting concept...

2 hours ago, PatW said:

I say a WOW too! We had a members club meeting around here at the end of last year. One of my favourite cars in it's day, very cool and quirky. I relation to their other cars the van in particular, I was on my way to work one very windy morning about 40 years ago when I saw a van version in two halves. He had come across a railway bridge parapet, still holding his steering hard over due to the crosswind, as he went through the high wall the car shot across the road. The body came off and on the otherside of the parapet the two halves were on the grass at the side of the road!  

Thanks a lot! It's a cool car indeed, I wouldn't mind one in the collection actually.

Those vans though must be on the other end from cool... Having said that I do have a 1/32 scale resin kit waiting... 😎

2 hours ago, Six97s said:

Horrible car, but I'm interested to see what you do with the model.  :)

It can only get better in 1/24 then 😎

1 hour ago, John_W said:

I thought this thread was going to be the "Vintage" Airfix kit. Lovely to see a modern kit in a larger scale. Watching with interest.

It was a nice surprice they released this. Still hoping for an Airfix reissue.

1 hour ago, Noel Smith said:

Maybe Del Boy Trotter's Reliant Regal Van might be next. LOL

Who knows 😎

RR1.jpg

• Like 8

I wonder if the misspelt manufacturer name is a typo - or ti stop the mighty (long gone) Reliant company coming after them for licensing money...?! :rofl:

That looks like a neat kit though, shame it's not 1/24 it would look great next to the Bond!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1