1/72nd scale Hasegawa F15C Eagle, Israeli Air Force late 1980's Finished

Mr T

This is my entry for this group build. It will be an Israeli F15C from the Hasegawa kit that I bought about 1988-9. The kit decal sheet is for USAF aircraft, but I have an old Cutting Edge decal, which also details the airframe differences and an equally old Microscale decal sheet for the stencils, which on the Israeli aircraft were largely unchanged with just a few in Hebrew. As was typical for Hasegawa kits of the period, there are no weapons, and so these have been separately sourced as shown. The Pythons will need new pylons, which I think are going to be scratch built. There is a Dream model etch set that will tart up the cockpit and ejector seat quite nicely. Been on my to-do list for a while, and now seems a good time. 

52235879680_a1b59bcaf2_c_d.jpg

52235392511_1932cb4b91_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Not forgotten the GB, but progress has been very slow due to finishing off other models ahead of the F15 from earlier GBs and the heat has made painting,  except at about 3 o'clock in the morning.  Our house is a bit like  a storage heater,  it takes a while to heat up from the outside in,  but for the same reason,  it takes time to cool down once it has warmed up.  Not usually a problem until you get an extended spell of hot weather.

Started on the cockpit and worked out how to build the revised launch rails for the Python,  and so more substantial process soon when something solid to photograph. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

Not forgotten the GB, but progress has been very slow due to finishing off other models ahead of the F15 from earlier GBs and the heat has made painting,  except at about 3 o'clock in the morning.  Our house is a bit like  a storage heater,  it takes a while to heat up from the outside in,  but for the same reason,  it takes time to cool down once it has warmed up.  Not usually a problem until you get an extended spell of hot weather.

Started on the cockpit and worked out how to build the revised launch rails for the Python,  and so more substantial process soon when something solid to photograph. 

Thats ok Im in the same situation myself. Ive got so many on the go Im in danger of not actually building a kit. 

Now that I only one Pre existing GB to finish, and that is well on its way, I can give time to the F15. I have started doing odds and ends like painting undercarriage legs etc. The first bit of actual assembly have been the drop tanks, the wings and the intakes. The kit is designed with a separate front fuselage, which means that the intakes can be added, and the real fuselage section built whilst working on the cockpit. The first stages of the Python3 missile racks are also shown.

52296837655_fe769cc226_c_d.jpg

• Like 4

I have built the Hasegawa kit before, the fit was a little on the fiddly side as I remember. I really didn't care for the intake design too much,  but it looks like you are on the right track. Getting the forward fuselage connected without a step will be your next challenge after getting the cockpit sorted out as well. My advice is test fit, test fit shim where necessary, remember to keep nose level. I will be following this.

JB

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your very helpful comments.  Yes the intakes are quit fiddly and despite my best efforts when I added the lower fuselage,  I could not get a level surface with the intake parts.  The whole area around the intake is quiet flexible and looking at the fit before I stuck them together, there seemed to be a bit of a warp.  I have test fitted the forward fuselage,  and I cannot for the life of me understand why Hasegawa did not make a more positive joint. It all seems to rely on butt joints that are going to be a challenge to clean up. 

That's what I have done. As I have built a fair number of vacforms and short run kits over the years, not an issue for me, but might be for less experienced modellers.

Anyway, forward and rest of the fuselage are ready to be joined with tabs firmly set. Interior is finished, and ejector seat detailed and painted up. The Dream Model PE for the ejector seat was nice, but I am not sure the stuff for the instrument panel etc. was worth it. One of the pylons for the Python 3 AAM has been built and looks OK to me. My original plan to do four has been changed after I came across a photo that shoes my intended build subject with four Sparrows, two AIM9L Sidewinders and two Python 3s. The Resikit missiles are fiddly, with some very small PE parts to be bent.

52312369046_6ec44d0476_c_d.jpg

52312679968_033084c69e_c_d.jpg

The canopy will be closed on this model, which is why the equipment bay is not painted.

• Like 5

Fuselage and wings together and odd bits done. There will now be a short intermission* as MrsT and I are going away for the next week. Currently sat in Departure bit of T2 at Manchester Airport. 

*While awaiting our return, why not visit our foyer where a 'tasty' selection of snacks, drinks and ice creams are available. Anyone remember Kia-Ora orange drinks, Walls ice cream tubs with the wooden spoons, and popcorn that was probably leftover packaging? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my holidays in a sunny and very hot Northern Italy. Mrs T even managed to find an aircraft museum near where we stayed at the end of the holiday. It was next door to Milan Malpensa airport and had been the Caproni works at one time. Some interesting stuff that I had never seen before, although photography was a non-starter. There was a massive collection of models, a mix of display, scratchbuilt and kits.

Back to the F15. The photos show progress to just before we went away. Since I have got back, some slow work done to finish painting the missiles, adding the canopy and sorting the exhausts out. Still, it is coming together with a view to paint on early next week

52360237068_257f444470_c_d.jpg

52360236888_36126cba78_c_d.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

More progress and nearly ready to start on the decals. The airframe has been painted in the compass Grey scheme, with the metal areas on the rear fuselage. The greys were from Xtracrylix and the metal areas various shades from Vallejo, brush applied. I have an old Microscale sheet for F15 stencils. My, there are a lot of them and not all may be used, it depends on how bored Io get

52383079658_676f0135a3_c_d.jpg

52383079743_c16b976c31_c_d.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Back from our long weekend and a marathon decalling exercise, the F15C is now having its last bits and pieces added. The Aircraft is marked as '840' and named 'Commando' It has six kill marks, this was later reduced to three and a half. The old Microscale sheet performed well, although the placement instructions did not bear a totally direct match with what was provided on the decal sheet.  I was impressed by the cutting Edge sheet from 1995, as the decals went on better than some from more modern sheets I have used. There are a lot of stencils on an F15!

F15C 10

52415887423_147ea85c92_c_d.jpg

• Like 5

This will be the last update before the F15 appears in the gallery. All the remaining external parts have been added, and after the photo was taken, it received the final varnish coat. Once this has been left to harden for a day or two, I will remove the masking and do any last bits and pieces that might be necessary. My plan is to have this in the gallery by Friday.

52436679892_bd17fcfb71_c_d.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, I have aways thought the F15 suits Israeli markings. It seems to have taken ages to get this far. I think it is a combination of other builds to finish, holidays, and the decalling taking forever. At least the scratch built pylons for the Pythons have worked in keeping the missiles away from the drop tanks. 

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

markings. It seems to have taken ages to get this far.

They’re complicated beasts, F-15s! I’m feeling the same, hopefully I don’t run out time to get all the stencilling done before the end of the GB!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

They’re complicated beasts, F-15s! I’m feeling the same, hopefully I don’t run out time to get all the stencilling done before the end of the GB!

Yes I know the feeling but its all about fun and enjoying the hobby. If that will make it more stressful please remember it is not a requirement to finish. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes I know the feeling but its all about fun and enjoying the hobby. If that will make it more stressful please remember it is not a requirement to finish. 

Sound advice Dennis, thank you!

• Like 1

• Mr T changed the title to 1/72nd scale Hasegawa F15C Eagle, Israeli Air Force late 1980's Finished