Decals for “Briouze” Panther 231

rogerhunt

I’m hoping to build a Normandy Demag Panther A early based on the “Biouze” vehicle of 2.PzD being restored by the Wheatcroft Collection (Fgst.Nr.158134). For reference, I’ve got the Research Squad books detailing the restoration, but I’m looking for some advice on decals. I need to depict the original turret number I02 (which I think is in black numbers and a white outline) overpainted with 231 (in tall white numbers). Does anyone know of any decal sets that might be suitable? I’ve looked at Archer and Star but can’t seem to find a match. I’ve resigned myself to having to hand paint the ink-pot and quill turret emblem. 

Thanks in advance

Rog

Best I can find are from an outfit called HADmodels, but if you want the black with white outlines it would require two sheets of decals - a white outline over top a solid black decal.   The sheets don't include roman numerals either.

Judging from the period photo, the over painted '231' is much taller than the generic decals.  So you would still have to hand paint those.  That is not a bad thing since it does appear the over paint has worn through, something you can't achieve with just over lapping decals.

file.php?id=45529

file.php?id=45649

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Thanks for the info Jack. I’ll check out HADmodels but you’re right, I’ll probably end up having to hand-paint them. I’d better start practicing 😳

Cheers

Rog

Another decal option is to draw up your own and have them printed at this shop located in the Netherlands;

http://www.blackliondecals.nl/customdecals.htm

You need to be familiar with vector drawing, as well as have such a program on a computer.   Corel Draw X5 is what they deal with, but a pdf format should work.

regards,

Jack

2 hours ago, JackG said:

Another decal option is to draw up your own and have them printed at this shop located in the Netherlands;

http://www.blackliondecals.nl/customdecals.htm

You need to be familiar with vector drawing, as well as have such a program on a computer.   Corel Draw X5 is what they deal with, but a pdf format should work.

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack.

I might give this a go, but to be honest, my graphic design skills are probably worse than my hand-painting skills. 

Cheers

Rog

Considering the surface to be painted is textured (zimmerit), paint brush would be easiest.   Decals can pose problems of getting them to settle down over the 'ridges and valleys', but this same feature can create the potential of under spray if using masks.  The latter though would be easier to fix by just touching up with paint brush.

regards,

Jack

Oh, and this Panther is (so far) the only one I have seen with the ammo 'upside down'.

Even queried the Wheatcroft collection about it and they showed me the unrestored ammo bin they used as a pattern.

This still makes me wonder is Ausf.D's would have this as well.

Why would DEMAG have modified this?

31 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Oh, and this Panther is (so far) the only one I have seen with the ammo 'upside down'.

Even queried the Wheatcroft collection about it and they showed me the unrestored ammo bin they used as a pattern.

This still makes me wonder is Ausf.D's would have this as well.

Why would DEMAG have modified this?

You’re not wrong. Bugger, that complicates things. 

1 hour ago, rogerhunt said:

You’re not wrong. Bugger, that complicates things. 

Not really, just a few squares of card needed with correct sized holes.

If you want full magazines get some aftermarket 75mm spent shells.

Also I do 't remember if Takom includes the tow hitch unique to DEMAG A's.

The hitch is on the sprues, just not mentioned in the instructions. (D2, part 13)

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Not really, just a few squares of card needed with correct sized holes.

If you want full magazines get some aftermarket 75mm spent shells.

Also I do 't remember if Takom includes the tow hitch unique to DEMAG A's.

The hitch is on the sprues, just not mentioned in the instructions. (D2, part 13)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I’m working through my first interior kit (Takom’s Jagdpanther G1) at the moment and learning a lot. The Panther A is my next project (unless I get sidetracked by one of the other kits in my stash) and I want to make sure I’ve got all of the pieces of the puzzle in place before I start the project. 

• Like 1