1/72 F 5 A Freedom Fighter Italeri/Esci Royal Norwegian Air Force 336 Skv Flying Jokers

TEMPESTMK5

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That is looking good Patrice.
You are going for a Norwegian scheme?  I'm pretty sure their grey/silver aircraft swapped panels, the colours are inconsistent, even on the one airframe.
This seems typical: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Norway-Air-Force/Northrop-F-5A-Freedom-Fighter/1811352

Good evening Robert

Thank you for the link , I will do more painting on some panels for a better operationnal effect ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice painting Patrice, she's looking very smart.

🇺🇦

Good morning Craig

Thank you for your comment

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I will represent an aircraft used by the 336 Skv Royal Jordanian Air Force , the N° 207 on the picture below

Jordanian...?

Unfortunately the old ESCI kit decals are not very good for the Norwegian markings. And the new Italeri reissue is not very much better.

Norwegian F-5s were never bare metal. They were initially in Northrop's silver paint. Humbrol 11 silver would be too light and shiny though.

Nils

Edited by Vingtor

22 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Jordanian...?

Unfortunately the old ESCI kit decals are not very good for the Norwegian markings. And the new Italeri reissue is not very much better.

Norwegian F-5s were never bare metal. They were initially in Northrop's silver paint. Humbrol 11 silver would be too light and shiny though.

Nils

Good monring Vingtor

Sorry for my mistake wich is corrected now ..

Could you tell me what is wrong with the Esci decals for the Norwegian markings ?

Best regards 

Patrice

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Could you tell me what is wrong with the Esci decals for the Norwegian markings ?

Well...

• Roundels are inaccurate and off center. The pennant should touch the blue ring in all 3 "corners".
  • The squadron marking has the red lightning on top pf the swallow. It should be the other way round.
  • The Joker card has incorrect proportions (is too wide relative to the height).
  • The tail digit '2' has wrong shape.
  • The stencils have white background. Should be silver.

A photo of 207 can be found here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Norway-Air-Force/Northrop-F-5A-Freedom-Fighter/1811352/L

Nils

1 hour ago, Vingtor said:

Well...

• Roundels are inaccurate and off center. The pennant should touch the blue ring in all 3 "corners".
  • The squadron marking has the red lightning on top pf the swallow. It should be the other way round.
  • The Joker card has incorrect proportions (is too wide relative to the height).
  • The tail digit '2' has wrong shape.
  • The stencils have white background. Should be silver.

A photo of 207 can be found here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Norway-Air-Force/Northrop-F-5A-Freedom-Fighter/1811352/L

Nils

Thank you very much .. I guess I will have to find another subject as I wanted to build an F 5A in NMF or simply live with the inaccuraties of the decals ...

It seems that you work with the Vingtor company wich produced this decals sheet https://www.scalemates.com/kits/vingtor-decals-72-009-northrop-f-5-freedom-fighter--191394 but I guess that it is no more available ?

Best Regards

Patrice  

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Hang on Patrice, I think I have an old Modeldecal sheet which has this aircraft on it. If I can find it I will post it over to you mate.

🇺🇦

Good afternoon Craig

If you can find the Modeldecal sheet it would be perfect but if not don't worry too much because I have a plan B with an Usaaf aircraft 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/ff/c4/9bffc442f01c1164b45b194427737f7b.jpg

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Craig

If you can find the Modeldecal sheet it would be perfect but if not don't worry too much because I have a plan B with an Usaaf aircraft 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/ff/c4/9bffc442f01c1164b45b194427737f7b.jpg

Best Regards

Patrice

Give me a few hours to have a look mate and I will get back to you.

I do like your other choice though, very smart.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

The Modeldecal sheet is quite accurate.

The Vingtor Decals sheet was sold out many years ago. I will probably do a new F-5 sheet, but I don't know when.

Nils

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vingtor said:

The Modeldecal sheet is quite accurate.

The Vingtor Decals sheet was sold out many years ago. I will probably do a new F-5 sheet, but I don't know when.

Nils

Good afternoon Nils

Thank you I will try to find the Modeldecla sheet ...

I think that a new F 5 Sheet would be a great idea ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I think that a new F 5 Sheet would be a great idea ..

These decals are now advancing on my todo list... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

These decals are now advancing on my todo list... 🙂

Excellent news, with the Italeri/ESCI kit re-released the timing should work to your advantage.

Whilst you are at it could we have some in 1/48 too, and preferably featuring the green camo which was tried for while.

🇺🇦

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent news, with the Italeri/ESCI kit re-released the timing should work to your advantage.

Whilst you are at it could we have some in 1/48 too, and preferably featuring the green camo which was tried for while.

🇺🇦

That is my plan. Both scales, and including the green ones. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bonjour Patrice,

the curse of incorrect decals!!! That is when a photo becomes compulsory, as we far too often take decals for granted.

I am sure we all have been mislaid at least once in our modelling life.

A Norwegian F-5 is a brilliant decision.

Great show.

JR

2 hours ago, jean said:

Bonjour Patrice,

the curse of incorrect decals!!! That is when a photo becomes compulsory, as we far too often take decals for granted.

I am sure we all have been mislaid at least once in our modelling life.

A Norwegian F-5 is a brilliant decision.

Great show.

JR

Bonjour Good afternoon Jean

Yes I should have checked my references before starting this build but thanks to Craig AKA Modellling minion who has sent me the decals from a Modeldecal sheet I should be able finish this Norwegian F 5 with the correct markings ..Until these decals arrive in Normandy I will put this build aside and I will start another build in another gb

See you soon for the rest of this build ..

Best Regards .

Patrice

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, modelling minion said:

You can put me down for one of the 1/48 sheets.👍

I do not have a backorder system. However I will reactivate the facebook page for publishing news etc.

Nils

• Like 2

Good morning

Craig AKA Modelling minion sent me the decals of the Model decalsheet  ,( thank you again Craig for your help ) and  I will try to place them tomorrow on my kit ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 2