Takon 1/35 Chieftain Mk5, Berlin Brigade.

Evening All.

As part of my catch up with RFIs, here's what took up far too much of my modelling time and energy between August and December 2020.  Even then, it sat on my shelf looking all shiny and new for another couple of months before I got around to giving it a light dusting.

Now I'm no expert on armour, but I can at least follow painting instructions ok(ish).  The problem started when I read somewhere that Takom got the colour pattern wrong, and that sent me down the rabbit hole of trying to find photos of the correct scheme........and trying to figure out the differences between a Mk10 and a Mk5.  :wacko: It drove me nuts and was possibly the catalyst for my mojo sneaking quietly out the back door.

Anyway, here it is.  I keep it on a shelf at work. I'm building more armour these days but they still take second place behind aircraft so I try and choose a variety of schemes for visual interest.  This one pretty much chose itself. 

I like it now.

Photos taken using my phone and a desk lamp for illumination on a workbench at work. I tried to use filters to get the colouring accurate though.

I write too much.

I hope you like it.

Cheers

Gaz

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I restricted weathering to a light dusting around the lower surfaces, and some high traffic areas on the upper surfaces.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's where it lives behind my desk at work. Years ago, one of the guys found the Union Jack tea towel behind in a rag bin.

spacer.png

Edited by kiwitrogg
Just realised that I spelt Brigade wrong. Duh.
  • Like 44

I like that a lot, a lovely restrained finish, beautiful.

Research always takes hours of my time as well particularly cross checking when using the internet - there’s some funny things out there!

Nick

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:16 PM, Nick Belbin said:

I like that a lot, a lovely restrained finish, beautiful.

Research always takes hours of my time as well particularly cross checking when using the internet - there’s some funny things out there!

Nick

Thanks Nick.

Yeah this time I went a bit OTT, it turned into a bit of an obsession to be honest.  It took the joy out of it, which kind of defeats the object of a hobby aye.  It was a good reality check in the end and proved a good time to rethink my priorities.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, Troffa said:

That's a cracker- I love that scheme and you've done a great job on your model.  Looks brilliant!

Thanks Troffa  🙂

22 hours ago, Yg Models said:

nice camo,

i have a 1/72 ver from Takom waiting to paint😆

Yeah, that's going to be a bit fiddly.  Good luck 👍

19 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Nicely done👍 On the weathering side a bit more would not have been too much after all it is a chieftain 😀

Thanks ivan-o.

I could have put in a diorama.........but you wouldn't see any of the back end for the engine smoke :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

That's a great model, and well done for making a really good job of the urban cammo scheme. If you don't mind one small bit of criticism. It's very very clean. Even a new one would have a little bit of dust here and there. Maybe a light wash to get into the nooks and crannies.

John.

• Like 1

Get my vote just for having the cojones to tackle masking it.

Have to agree with previous post, it does look a little "dazzling". As you stated, the back ends got covered in crud just from the exhaust smoke and everything else got dusty and grimy. Tankies usually have better things to do than clean a vehicle.

Regards

Pete 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's a great model, and well done for making a really good job of the urban cammo scheme. If you don't mind one small bit of criticism. It's very very clean. Even a new one would have a little bit of dust here and there. Maybe a light wash to get into the nooks and crannies.

John.

15 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

Get my vote just for having the cojones to tackle masking it.

Have to agree with previous post, it does look a little "dazzling". As you stated, the back ends got covered in crud just from the exhaust smoke and everything else got dusty and grimy. Tankies usually have better things to do than clean a vehicle.

Regards

Pete 

Thanks Fellas. 

Honestly, it's actually dirtier in real life than it looks in the pictures.  But yeah, I think you're right; I'll bring it home and give it a bit more of an in-use look, particularly around the derriere.  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Hi Gaz, 

Excellent work with the camo, for me it would be difficult... Very much in agreement with some colleagues, a little weathering would make the model more interesting, and the details would stand out better...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

Very nice, I do like a Chieftain.  Doubt I'd have the patience to do a Berlin scheme but I can certainly appreciate yours, rather like the contrast between the NATO green and the rest of the paintwork. 

Great work

Darryl 

• Like 1

Fantastic paintjob - I never realised the engine deck was left as is with this scheme.

Congrats on producing a very striking model indeed. 👏

Ian

• Like 1

That's one of the most eye-catching armour schemes I've ever seen and you've carried it off to perfection!

I get what others are saying about looking very clean but personally I feel the overall look makes the most of the striking camo.

Either way it's a great model.

• Thanks 1

I believe that the Berlin Chieftains were kept as clean as possible; along with their lack of markings and identical camo pattern, it was a further step towards make each one anonymous, which made the Soviet observers jobs that little bit more difficult. 

• Like 2

• kiwitrogg changed the title to Takon 1/35 Chieftain Mk5, Berlin Brigade.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...