Smashed And Broken

Folks, 

I found a really striking image on Instagram some time ago and decided to for my first proper modelling diorama and my second AFV build to give it ago, and I loved it , it really pushed me in terms of skills and techniques I attempted.  

Below is the image taken by Alexey Furman from a drone on the Uhor River in Ukraine back in May

spacer.png

The next images are my diorama, things I learned, using resin is sticky , the bubbles are a pain and seal the bottom of the base otherwise it sticks to the surface you have it on, in this case a bedside cabinet, (queue a few gentle taps with a hammer and a hope the missus doesnt notice lol)   I learned how to make my own flock and my own trees, I used plaster for the first time to make a base and I discovered that a bench saw makes a mess of acrylic,

On the other hand I really enjoyed creating a story or at least trying to tell a story, I added the Russian flag the stretcher and the body armour and first aid kit. It wasn't in the original image but I wanted to convey a sense of not only the material cost of war but the human cost as well.

The kit was a Revell 1/72 T-80 kit, with a HO scale rusted engine block, with the rest being scratch built from plastic rods and card, the base was a photoframe from Asda, the trees were just made from home made flock and twigs picked up on my dog walk. I did start to use Vallejos still water but used a clear resin from Amazon to finish it. The oil stains were done with Hobbycrafts blue and purple acrylic watered down until I got the effect I was hoping for.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Any hints or tips are really welcome, so I can improve on my next diorama 😀

• Like 32

Very good, detailed work, my friend. If you said it was 1/35th, I would have believed you. You are as braver fella than I, when it comes to the dioramas. 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

This looks fantastic especially for a first!! Great job on the resin and tank itself (resin being really hard to get to know). Hope you get away with the beside cabinet!!!

The photo is a great choice and your dio does it real justice.

Paul. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

This looks fantastic especially for a first!! Great job on the resin and tank itself (resin being really hard to get to know). Hope you get away with the beside cabinet!!!

The photo is a great choice and your dio does it real justice.

Paul. 

Cheers mate, really appreciate that 😀 

One of the things that made it hard was, it was easy in as much as I could hide a mistake, ie , "Ooops Ive cut through the wrong part , ach it doesnt matter its destroyed", but on the other hand it was hard as I had to not get too careless and I had to learn whats in Russian tanks in terms of parts and stuff then think through how they would have been ruined in a fire/explosion.  

So thanks one and all for the kind comments 😀

I seem to have an attraction to destroyed or old ruined things, am considering doing a wee vignette of the abandoned T54 tank turret emplacements on Sakhalin Island and maybe a wrecked sunken zero in Truk lagoon in the future. 

1 minute ago, Mark Cassidy said:

One of the things that made it hard was, it was easy in as much as I could hide a mistake, ie , "Ooops Ive cut through the wrong part , ach it doesnt matter its destroyed", but on the other hand it was hard as I had to not get too careless and I had to learn whats in Russian tanks in terms of parts and stuff then think through how they would have been ruined in a fire/explosion.  

I seem to have an attraction to destroyed or old ruined things, am considering doing a wee vignette of the abandoned T54 tank turret emplacements on Sakhalin Island and maybe a wrecked sunken zero in Truk lagoon in the future. 

If that’s the case… then you need the entrophy group build which is on here!!! We love all things wrecked, rusted and rotting!!! 

Bertie McBoat face is the skipper. This may suit.

• Like 2

On 01/08/2022 at 14:10, Muchmirth said:

If that’s the case… then you need the entrophy group build which is on here!!! We love all things wrecked, rusted and rotting!!! 

Bertie McBoat face is the skipper. This may suit.

Bertie it looks a really intresting sub group. Not sure my skills are up to some of the really good stuff u see on that thread mate.

How do group builds work? 

15 hours ago, Mark Cassidy said:

Bertie it looks a really intresting sub group. Not sure my skills are up to some of the really good stuff u see on that thread mate.

How do group builds work? 

It’s for all levels of skill, so don’t be afraid to join. Bertie might not see your message on here, just if you message him direct or on the gb tread he’ll pick it up… this group build won’t be through the bunfight stage at the mo but should be next year, as very popular and enough people signed up. Basically it’s a bunch of modeller of all types, afv, plane, dio etc starting a group build project together at the same time around a specific subject, in this case the subject is quite loose, which is a good thing. If you sign up, it’ll start at a set time and end at a set time (usually around four months). All modellers usually start a wip thread which shows their progress and then other modeller come along and offer advice and encouragement. Once made you post your finished item in the gallery were everyone can take a peek at your creation. group builds usually appeal to a certain type of modelling e.g a group build around spitfires or a certain type of boat etc etc. if your interested in say spitfires then a lot of modellers clubbing together on their collective projects is the jist we’re people can learn a lot from other modellers etc. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Muchmirth said:

Bertie might not see your message on here,

Bertie did eventually! This diorama nails the reference photo absolutely. Your skills are waaaay better than you think they are! I love this!! 

On 8/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, Mark Cassidy said:

Yes yes you really must join the Entropists, you have so much to teach us. There's no competition, it's a co-operative group seeking to explore an idea and have some fun. We are all welcoming and really nice people and will only be sad if you don't come to the party. Just make a post on the GB chat thread that Muchmirth linked too and I'll add you to the list. Please feel free to post a couple of photos of this diorama there as an inspiration piece. I hope to see you there soon.

As Muchmirth said, a post there will be notified to me and if you ever want a particular member to be notified that you are mentioning him just put an @  and start typing his name, a drop down list of members appears, select the one you want and they get a notification saying that they have been mentioned. For example, @Mark Cassidy

p.s.Thanks @Muchmirth for answering the questions for me.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2022 at 13:17, Muchmirth said:

It’s for all levels of skill, so don’t be afraid to join. Bertie might not see your message on here, just if you message him direct or on the gb tread he’ll pick it up… this group build won’t be through the bunfight stage at the mo but should be next year, as very popular and enough people signed up. Basically it’s a bunch of modeller of all types, afv, plane, dio etc starting a group build project together at the same time around a specific subject, in this case the subject is quite loose, which is a good thing. If you sign up, it’ll start at a set time and end at a set time (usually around four months). All modellers usually start a wip thread which shows their progress and then other modeller come along and offer advice and encouragement. Once made you post your finished item in the gallery were everyone can take a peek at your creation. group builds usually appeal to a certain type of modelling e.g a group build around spitfires or a certain type of boat etc etc. if your interested in say spitfires then a lot of modellers clubbing together on their collective projects is the jist we’re people can learn a lot from other modellers etc. 

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Bertie did eventually! This diorama nails the reference photo absolutely. Your skills are waaaay better than you think they are! I love this!! 

Yes yes you really must join the Entropists, you have so much to teach us. There's no competition, it's a co-operative group seeking to explore an idea and have some fun. We are all welcoming and really nice people and will only be sad if you don't come to the party. Just make a post on the GB chat thread that Muchmirth linked too and I'll add you to the list. Please feel free to post a couple of photos of this diorama there as an inspiration piece. I hope to see you there soon.

As Muchmirth said, a post there will be notified to me and if you ever want a particular member to be notified that you are mentioning him just put an @  and start typing his name, a drop down list of members appears, select the one you want and they get a notification saying that they have been mentioned. For example, @Mark Cassidy

p.s.Thanks @Muchmirth for answering the questions for me.

Gents 

Thank you, much mirth apologies for the delay in replying I somehow managed to completely miss your post back at the start of August. I appreciate you explaining how it works ,cheers

Bertie mate I stuck a post on the entropy thread you posted , signing me up for the group build , looking forward to seeing how this goes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...