Fitting Motorcycle Cables

PatW

I'm part way through a 1/9 scale bike. The cables are supplied, cut the appropriate length and pushed onto pegs at each end.  EG: The brakes: small peg at the Brake Lever end and a small peg at the brake caliper end, but the tubing is just too small to fit on, how do they fit please? 

Hi Pat,

you could try warming the tube with hot water then pressing them on.

If this doesn't work then again, warm them in hot water then open the end of the tube using a cocktail stick.

Finally you could remove the "pegs", drill out a hole and then insert a wire pin of a suitable size  to the hole and glue the tube to this.

Keith.

Thank you Mpfiend. Yes I've tried your first option so may have to try your second idea (who someone else on another website has suggested) If I was starting I would choose that, unfortunately I am nearing the end of the build. 

I don't know how old your kit is, but I have found that the tubing supplied bets 'rigid' and non-pliant after a number of years and no amount of warming will make them pliable.

I have taken to using silicone rubber tubing of the correct diameter instead.

AFAIK, this stuff remains more flexible for longer than the (usually) vinyl tubing supplied.

In my opinion, it looks more rubber like as well.

I have bought small-ish lengths (about 5 or 10 metre) from Hilltop Products, and found their service to be very good.

Cheers,

Alan.

Hi Pat

I use small black shrink wrap tube

Cut that to a short length and glue it to the peg with a spot of CA, push the cable inside and shrink it on to hold it.

Ian