“Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - Completed

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

it's AK's Real Colors. I have both of their paint sets, early and Modern IDF sets. Really do like this paint a lot

Nice, they quickly became my go to as well. If the ‘I feel deserted’ GB gets up I hope to do an F-16I Sufa, so will definitely pick up their modern IDF set when the time comes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Nice, they quickly became my go to as well. If the ‘I feel deserted’ GB gets up I hope to do an F-16I Sufa, so will definitely pick up their modern IDF set when the time comes.

+1, i'm drifting from tamiya to ak real everytime i buy these days.

tamiyas downside is the limited amount of colours available. 

great work all round rich. jeez that MiG is huge!!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 4:33 AM, Dansk said:

+1, i'm drifting from tamiya to ak real everytime i buy these days.

tamiyas downside is the limited amount of colours available. 

great work all round rich. jeez that MiG is huge!!

don't quite get rid of all the tamiya stuff quite yet!

You mix it with good quality Acrylic lacquer thinner and it's the perfect undercoat for lacquers. Using lacquer thinner over the standard alcohol based stuff seems to make the finish surface a bit smooth and quite a bit tougher I've found. But the AK Real Colour, valve for money/bang for bucks is the clear winning of all the Lacquer based paints, plus it is nice you can get to thin it how you want. 

The MiG is big but I didn't realize just how big the Su-27 and family is, they're huge!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow it has been a while since I updated this build…….guess I’d better before I finish her!!  :D

Some really good progress and some not so!! :whistle:

Well the decals are done….and would say they are the worse part of the model!! They are super thick and very flat plus no matter how glossy the surface they still will “sliver” at the slightest hint. For such a nice model why lumber it with horrible decals. I should have bought some AM ones….oh well, too late now!

The had painted the national insignias but ended up using decals as the masks for the painted ones weren’t that good.

IMG_7444-L.jpg

IMG_7443-L.jpg

She's has her final Flat clear coat plus initial weathering and staining started as well.

IMG_7442-L.jpg

Ok the cans for this model weren’t actually for this model….I ordered the wrong set, anyway I decided to use them rather than waste them, great plan but……..after finally fitting them in plce I noticed they weren’t sitting in far enough….bugga!!

The only way to fit them properly now was to grind the kit parts out to fit them……….and of course......

....... I slipped and not watching what I was doing and a chunk out of the tail….double bugga!!!  :doh:   So patch up time, so first some filler…..

IMG_7437-L.jpg

….a wee bit of sanding…

IMG_7438-L.jpg

….some sausages and masking later….

IMG_7439-L.jpg

….those rotten cans still don’t fit 100%, best leave well enough alone!!

IMG_7436-L.jpg

IMG_7446-L.jpg

So things that shoot down other things are complete and attached to their pylons.

IMG_7441-L.jpg

Still not 100% on the final stores load, with the “bomb” loadout the LH pylon is empty (actual loadout from photos), but would like to fill the spare pylon, so may goes with this.

IMG_7440-L.jpg

She has a bit of wear-n-tear look to her, still have a bit more to do before it’s done. Plus I have to finish the bang seats and cockpit as well, next update and she’s done!

IMG_7445-L.jpg

Ok the “photo bombers” time.......  :D

….the Su-27, nothing done on her :whistle:....... except I now have photos of the HARM load, so have to make the adaptor pylon.

The beast, national markings are on, just 4 billon stencils to go on and I thought the F-4 was bad…..plus of course they are the “Where’s Wally let try and find them” type!

IMG_7449-L.jpg

IMG_7450-L.jpg

IMG_7448-L.jpg

Finally a sneak peak at the next MAJOR build!!  :wicked:   Once the P-38 is done I’ll be starting on this!!

IMG_7460-L.jpg

And yes I now have 2!!!!  I’m be building the 2nd edition one in a grey scheme, I still have to makeup masks for the “Splinter version”, I can’t wait for this build, it’ll be epic!!! Plus there will be a full WIP for this build as well.

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to “Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - final update!!

You are just a bit cracked aren't you ? The two of those must have been a months mortgage or car note ? But of course You know you will need to tag a bunch of us. Im sure we’d love to see them get built. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Wow Rich, this WIP has everything, even BDR!

Seriously though, great recovery, a lesser modeller mad have given the kit a test flight after that slip-up

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

…and she’s done….well was completed last week but am only just getting round to this post. :whistle:

As to what was done, the same old story when it comes to finishing up, all those final wee bits seem to take forever, especially the stores.

I did decide of a final load-out for her, heavy strike with precision stores with a few “iron” bombs to liven up the party.

IMG_7539-L.jpg

Did I like the build, yes it was a nice build once you got over those couple of problem areas. The worse part of the model/kit is the decals, they are super thick super and super  :poop:  !!! Don’t waste your time with them buy some proper AM ones.

Anyway a nice addition to the growing IDF collection.

(insert family photo when I remember to!!! :D)

As usual there’s photos in the gallery and RFI section, plus for those interested the Su-27 is also done, photos will be in the RFI section, super please with that build.

Thanks for following.

IMG_7482-XL.jpg

IMG_7484-XL.jpg

IMG_7486-XL.jpg

IMG_7488-XL.jpg

IMG_7490-XL.jpg

IMG_7493-XL.jpg

IMG_7497-XL.jpg

IMG_7501-XL.jpg

IMG_7503-XL.jpg

IMG_7506-XL.jpg

IMG_7507-XL.jpg

IMG_7538-XL.jpg

IMG_7540-XL.jpg

:wicked:

IMG_7509-XL.jpg

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to “Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - Completed

What a cracking result Rich, she looks fantastic.

Just read through your thread from the start and am really impressed with your build and the quality of the kit and she will make a fine addition to your IDF collection. Will you be adding some Mirages to it?

The Su-27 looks fantastic too, a fitting tribute to brave people.

Very well done mate.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

What a cracking result Rich, she looks fantastic.

Just read through your thread from the start and am really impressed with your build and the quality of the kit and she will make a fine addition to your IDF collection. Will you be adding some Mirages to it?

The Su-27 looks fantastic too, a fitting tribute to brave people.

Very well done mate.

🇺🇦

thanks

you know I had actually forgotten about the Mirage, will have to get some now! :D  But  I do though have a couple of Kfir's in the stash so a C2 & C7 will be on the way sometime...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful work on both aircraft Rich, thank you for joining us here in the group build. 

You've done a great job Dennis  :thumbsup:  , I really enjoyed it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Brilliant work as usual Rich, with the flanker too 👌💪 awesome mate

Rich can I ask you - that circular display base is great, did you make it

(or is it another AM purchase :))

Thanks.

Hmmm no one would sell a stand like this, it's my Frankenstein one!  :D 

The top is a base from Zoukie-Mura, the underneath bit is a crusty old "lazy susan" that came with my spray booth and is covered in paint/thinners and bits of paper that stuck to the plastic when I tried to wipe off said paint or thinners. Its a cool setup as I just change to top base and the "last susan" makes it easy to position.

If you want I can sell it to you....only $100!!!   :thumbsup: