“Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - Completed

Oh dear this one has come around way too quickly!!! :yikes:

Ok this will be part III of a themed build, something I seem to be doing more often now, VF-31 builds, Ukraine builds and IDF builds.

Last year was the F-16I SUFA and A-4N, earlier this year the F-4E Kurnass and now an F-15I Ra’am.

So for this build I’ll be using GWH’s lovely model of this aircraft, a box super full of goodies. 

IMG_5770-L.jpg

IMG_5771-L.jpg

This will be the second GWH model I’ve built, first being the Su-27, they are nice models to build though they do have some slight build issues, though better than most coming from that part of the world.

Gotta love the missiles.

IMG_5774-L.jpg

Surprisingly only 2 bits of AM for her…….though its never say never with me, there’s always room for more AM! :yahoo:

So for now the Quinta Studio Interior set a must!!!

IMG_5999-L.jpg

Plus the BAM Update set for the F-15I, this is just new, but the resin bits for these guys are super nice!!!

IMG_7255-L.jpg

A nice “extra” with this set is the inclusion of masks for the Eagles head on the tail…awesome!!

IMG_7288-L.jpg

and den....more masks, first from New Wave, second set I’ve used from the, top notch masks!!

IMG_7287-L.jpg

...and den...some DM camo masks, not too sure about using these, from memory the demarcation lines between the colour should have a slight soft edge to them.  I think they might be a bit too harsh in this scale, though……they do appear to be quite sharp.  But the colours are very patchy, uneven and in some photos very dirty……this will be lots of fun. :thumbsup:

IMG_7289-L.jpg

..... and no an den!!!! :D

Speaking of which there is really only one scheme choice for this build a 69 Squadron “Hammers” bird, will go nicely with her older F-4E brother.

IMG_5773-L.jpg

IMG_5772-L.jpg

Looking forward to this build, should be able to start her pretty well straight away to.

• Like 11

Ra'am-azing. 😎 This is gonna be fun to follow Rich.

Looks like there's a lot of stencil data in the decals: I like it when manufacturers go all in like that, its a big job putting them on but looks ace when complete.

Neither of us bought AM wheels, are the kit's ok?

On 7/25/2022 at 8:23 PM, Dansk said:

Ra'am-azing. 😎 This is gonna be fun to follow Rich.

Looks like there's a lot of stencil data in the decals: I like it when manufacturers go all in like that, its a big job putting them on but looks ace when complete.

Neither of us bought AM wheels, are the kit's ok?

Yeah the F-15 is nearly as bad as the Phantom with stencilling!!! Hopefully there is some sort of order or logic behind their placement and numbering!! My last few builds have been stencilling nightmares!!

The wheels actually look quite nice and are slightly weighted as well. I'd need replacement ones for a GWH model as the mounts are slotted.

I really don't know if i'll use anymore AM (shock horror!!!), the bang seats look to be nice and the Quinta belts will do them up nicely, look ok, but will decide once I start building them up.

I plan to go flat-out this weekend to get all the sub-assemblies done (painted?????) as I have other projects that need finishing so I need to get this one out of the way..... looking forward to it. :D

• Like 3

What happened to the real @trickyrich?

Models with Loads of resin and the man on armour on his Avatrar? He would not have hesitated from AM wheels and seats.

Should we start a campaign to bring back the real Trickyrich?

• Haha 2

Dam You @trickyrich :D 

I hadn't planned on getting this kit, but seeing the content of the box I think I'll just have to add this one to the stash as well.

The box art show that it's equipped with the R2-D2 antenna, is it also there in the box? :think:

I've already got two Ra'ams build in the display cabinet, and one or two more in the stash. 

But none of them has the R2-D2.

And I, as well as Israel, don't have an F-15 IA, yet. :D 

/Bosse 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Colin W said:

What happened to the real @trickyrich?

Models with Loads of resin and the man on armour on his Avatrar? He would not have hesitated from AM wheels and seats.

Should we start a campaign to bring back the real Trickyrich?

I'm trying to see what it's like on the other side!!  :D 

So far it's boring, no wee lots of pressies in the mail for me, no hiding wee pressies from SHMBO, I'm saving money (which I seem to be spending on model models.....as if I need anymore as well as running out of places to hide said new models from SHMBO!!!!:chair:  ), so come to think of it, this side of the fence is really boring!!!! :tease:

Normal service will be resumed with the P-38 build!!! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Marlin said:

Dam You @trickyrich :D 

I hadn't planned on getting this kit, but seeing the content of the box I think I'll just have to add this one to the stash as well.

The box art show that it's equipped with the R2-D2 antenna, is it also there in the box? :think:

I've already got two Ra'ams build in the display cabinet, and one or two more in the stash. 

But none of them has the R2-D2.

And I, as well as Israel, don't have an F-15 IA, yet. :D 

/Bosse 

Arrr Bosse, you know resistance is futile!!!!  :D It's just a click away and you'll love it plus it'll go nicely with the rest of your collection!

And yes it comes with R2D2, you have 2 scheme choices, either the single Test and Eval. aircraft or A/c 241 which is the only F-15I with R2D2. Of course this is the one I'll be building.

From the looks of the model it'll be the best one out these forsure, the Su-27 I', build is also a GWH model and a really nice build as well.

So guess next comment from you will be that you've just bought one!!!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Arrr Bosse, you know resistance is futile!!!!  :D It's just a click away and you'll love it plus it'll go nicely with the rest of your collection!

And yes it comes with R2D2, you have 2 scheme choices, either the single Test and Eval. aircraft or A/c 241 which is the only F-15I with R2D2. Of course this is the one I'll be building.

From the looks of the model it'll be the best one out these forsure, the Su-27 I', build is also a GWH model and a really nice build as well.

So guess next comment from you will be that you've just bought one!!!  🤣

Well, I'm currently moving my stash to the cottage before we have to evacuate our appartment in September for a total renovation. 

52155191751_9a8d511904_o.jpg20220618_123421 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
52223943051_14336a19ca_o.jpg20220716_141029 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
52239903545_d1ee4c717b_o.jpg20220723_200100 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr

This is only around 75% of the stash.
So I guess I can sneak it in in the stash and then claim that; That one I've had for ages.   :rofl2:

/Bosse

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

now see I could look after some of those for you, see some that I would take "special care of" for you!!!  🤣 

I guess you could....

Thigh should not covet thigh mates stash... :pope: :fight:

/Bosse

• Haha 3

Ok time for an update…..well actually the start of the build. I’m a bit late with this, started it last weekend, but been so busy since, now writing this while “out bush” with work.

Done heaps to her, and even started to paint bits, built up most of the module I could first, as usual not following instructions too much, so the build is a bit all over the place.

The cockpit was built up and all the main surface detail removed for the Quinta upgrade and painted black. Least don’t have to worry about matching cockpit colours!

IMG_7290-L.jpg

Will use the standard seats as they’ll have the Quinta upgrades as well.

U/c gear and wheels assembled and initial paint job. Kit wheels look quite nice, may just use these….unless I have to spend more to get shipping discount, then might upgrade to resin!!!  :D

IMG_7291-L.jpg

The intakes and trunking are built up, will pose the intake in their down position just for something different.

IMG_7295-L.jpg

IMG_7296-L.jpg

There was a wee bit of flash around some of these parts (and on other as well) plus some of the moulding around some of the edges wasn’t 100% either.

Not really happy with the exhaust cans, detail looks sparse, so they have to go, will replace with some nice Reskit ones.

IMG_7298-L.jpg

I don’t want the avionic doors open in the nose (not keen on this look, cause if you want to then you need to detail them properly, and that is a huge job), so closed them up.

IMG_7299-L.jpg

Not the best fit by any means, so for the worse joins I’ve come across, this one will take some work to look right, probably use plastic strip to correct.

IMG_7300-L.jpg

I bought the BAM Models update set for this model, which has the correct IP’s (Quinta have the correct ones in their set), as the kit ones are for the original A/c as delivered. Plus a underside exhaust/vent port (?), and revised antenna location behind the speed brake.

IMG_7293-L.jpg

IMG_7302-L.jpg

Plus to help make Dennis’s day, the R2D2 dome will be fitted, originally only fitted to S/n 241, it is now fitted to all the rest I think….. someone will correct if wrong.

IMG_7301-L.jpg

Decided to do the conformal tanks now too, a little bit tricky as there are no locating devices other than some very fine outlines……very easy to stuff these up!

IMG_7303-L.jpg

So with all this done the lower wing sections were glued to the lower fuselage, joined up pretty nicely, though recommend good clamps for the job.

IMG_7294-L.jpg

The U/c doors are closed when they are on the ground (don’t know why they tell you to have them open, have to cut if you do), so closed they are.

IMG_7292-L.jpg

Looks really cool with the conformal tanks on.

IMG_7304-L.jpg

IMG_7305-L.jpg

Built up the stores, this is the basic loadout they give you…..will play around a bit with other options before I decide on the final one.

IMG_7306-L.jpg

One really cool feature is the canopy, they cover the outside of the main bits with a sheet of plastic (slightly sticky??) to help protect it. Nice!!!  Still have the mould lines to remove, not so nice!

IMG_7307-L.jpg

So far this is going together really nicely and quickly. She’s not as nice as a Tamiya model of course, but easily up there with the best coming out of China at the moment.

…and no she’s not forgotten, just waiting for me to build up the courage to gloss clear coat her. Showed her like this at my last club meet, freaked everyone out! Easily the craziest paint jobs any had seen, a real show winner/stunner if I can get the finish right. Plus the F-15J I really don’t like (finish wise) took out 2nd place at the meet…..unbelievable.  

IMG_7308-L.jpg

• Like 11

• trickyrich changed the title to “Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - procrastinations.....

More done to her as well as quite a bit of procrastinating….I do that a lot when I’m trying to put off something :unsure:  …..

Ok the main fuselage has been closed up as well as the cockpit section, with varying degrees of success.

All the new Quinta bits were added, made a huge difference to how it all looks, really worth the money. Then the whole thing was joined up, the joins weren’t to bad, just a wee bit of touching up was required.

IMG_7370-L.jpg

The main fuselage section was joined up but some of the joins not so good, mostly the tail ones.  The way the 2 sections meet around the elevators was not the best and needed clamping to set right then quite a bit of work after to clean up the join. I will need to use a wee bit of filler, plus a bit of re-scribing as well.

IMG_7367-L.jpg

IMG_7368-L.jpg

The front section is much better and the joins disappear quite easily. Those front pointy bits are quite sharp, I managed to stab myself with the RH one and as a result it is now a bit out of shape!

IMG_7369-L.jpg

She really looks the part now…

IMG_7371-L.jpg

…..and yes new AM bits!!!  :D

IMG_7372-L.jpg

New can ends, much nicer than the kit one, plus new bombs. I have found pictures of #241 with an asymmetrical loadout, which I’m thinking of doing.

GBU-10’s (2000lb) on RH wing and centre pylon, 2 x GBU-12’s RH CFT mounts, and 6 x Mk.82’s on the LH CFT mounts, seems the LH pylon might be empty…or they don’t know what was fitted as that pylon is not show in any photos. I might have a spare Mk.84 to go on that pylon…will see.  :hmmm:

:offtopic:   Ok now off subjects as usual and the source of the procrastination……the gloss clear coat for the Su-27!!    It has been sitting waiting for it for well over a week now. Every time I plan to do it I come up with something else to play with  :think:   ….the latest excuse….

IMG_7358-L.jpg

IMG_7359-L.jpg

….and yes it is the ICM MiG-25PD, soon to be in Ukraine colours. Plus said beastie is sitting in the background staring at me!!!

So late yesterday after running out of excuses (plus I did start another build!!! :whistle:  ) I did the gloss clear coat….and really surprised myself!!

I used a local Gloss Clear Lacquer by SMS thinned back with Gunze Mr. Leveller, and gave 2 good solid coats, more or less one after the other. The finish looked ok, nothing super special.

Next the "special coat", this I was told would do all the work and give me a super smooth glossy finish. You wait about 5 minutes or so for the first coats to dry a wee bit then apply it. For this the same SMS gloss clear, mixed down with lacquer thinners to ~90:10 thinners to clear. The you apply a “wet” coat, you need to go quite heavy with it as the idea is for the heavy thinned mix to slightly soften the earlier coats. Is a wee bit scary as too much and the underlying coat/s could melt/run. Next you have to leave it to cure, it’ll be touch dry in 5-10 minutes.

The final finish looked really good, way better than most of my previous attempts. But for the final finish you need to wait for about 24hrs for it to cure and complete gas off any residual lacquer base, and over that time the surface smooths out even further.

IMG_7366-L.jpg

It’s very hard to see in the photo but the finish is really smooth a glossy, and any rough patches are from the base colour coats, on the underside (which is just a single colour) I have near perfect gloss finish!!  :yahoo:

Am super happy with this method, a little bit more practice and I’ll have the perfect clear finishes. So next you will be the decals and a panel wash.

Plus she may have a new and very interesting stores load too either a pair of Kh-31’s or AGM-88 HARM’s (just test fits for now, may have to make correct pylons for these...plus photo taken before the clear coat too)!  Seems like the Su-27 would be the right culprit for the sudden appearance of some of these missiles in the Ukraine conflict.

IMG_7357-L.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

The main fuselage section was joined up but some of the joins not so good, mostly the tail ones.  The way the 2 sections meet around the elevators was not the best and needed clamping to set right then quite a bit of work after to clean up the join. I will need to use a wee bit of filler, plus a bit of re-scribing as well.

Looking great so far Rich. I Had the same issues on my Mitsubishi F-2 in the Japanese build. Sometimes the manufacturers push their luck when the over design a kit. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, I had better update this else the next update will be she’s finished!!!  :D

Ok lots done on her (plus the other 2 beasts on the work bench), though most of it has been cleaning up joins.

First up the 2 fuselage halves were joined together, it's a straightforward job but it needs to be done with a little care for good joins.

One thing I noticed is that the rear of the front fuselage is a wee bit narrower than the front section of the rear fuselage. So when you join them there is a slight lip between the joins. It may have been my doing (though I don’t think so), So I had to use a wedge to help even it up. 

IMG_7374-L.jpg

Speaking of joins…..I did need some filler at the rear and under the nose to tidy up….though I now have found a far superior method….more later.

IMG_7375-L.jpg

IMG_7376-L.jpg

While I was waiting for the fuselage to dry I finished off the CFT’s and assembled some resin stores.

IMG_7377-L.jpg

IMG_7378-L.jpg

Ok everything is dry now, so to the gaps, nothing really bad just need attention to look right. So rather than filler of stretched sprue (to much in this case) I went with some Mr. Surface 500. In the past I have used this then sanded it back, but was never happy with the results and I would loose detail. This time I decided to try a solvent (like I do with filler and nail polish remover), nail polish remover with a cotton bud did sort of work, but Isopropyl alcohol and a  cotton bud worked a treat. 

IMG_7380-L.jpg

It removes the excess nicely but leaves the stuff in the gap there, then with a wee bit more rubbing you get a join just like a panel line…..awesome.

IMG_7381-L.jpg

Next up the intakes, again not the best fit (I did try) and a tiny gap at the top on both sides. I think it must be because of the way you have to build them up, need to be super careful and accurate I think.

IMG_7382-L.jpg

IMG_7383-L.jpg

Anyway more Mr. Surface in all those gaps, though not sure it’ll fix those gaps in the intakes!! :yikes:

IMG_7384-L.jpg

Ok time for the fins, don’t like how the small antenna spikes fit…..

IMG_7386-L.jpg

………the CFT’s fitted nicely, same with the main wing control surfaces.

IMG_7387-L.jpg

IMG_7388-L.jpg

She’s looking good!

IMG_7385-L.jpg

So the last bit was going over all the joins and correcting with Mr. Surface, spend a few hours on these, but it was worth it, all the joins are sorted, a wee bit of paint confirmed this.

IMG_7389-L.jpg

IMG_7390-L.jpg

IMG_7391-L.jpg

I just have to redo the panel lines on the tails and she’s ready for painting, the last bit was removing the mould lines on the canopy.

IMG_7393-L.jpg

Hopefully will get started on the painting on the weekend…..

……….and it wouldn’t be an update without some “ring-ins” :D

The big beast went through the same process with Mr. Surface, there were some problem areas around the nose/cockpit to fuselage join and rudder joins, but they have all disappeared. The test coat basically ended up as a proper undercoat, she looks amazing and is already for the next step, pre-shading. These aircraft (Ukraine MiG-25PD’s) were really dirty, weathered and worn so I’ll be doing a lot of pre & Post shading a solid grey finish to help give it life….should be lots of fun.

IMG_7394-L.jpg

IMG_7396-L.jpg

IMG_7398-L.jpg

Oh and the Sukhoi and pretty much done, just the stores to do, will release it and the MiG when I finish the F-15.

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to “Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - ready for painting???

Didn’t get a lot done this weekend, yesterday was the club annual auction, sold a few model (made $180) and bought a couple :D  , was a good day but the auction went for over 6 hours!!!

Anyway, today progress, did some final cleaning up and started the per-shading work. Very hard to see in the photos but there are 5 different colours used, looked better in real life……the wiggly lines are bad in any light!!!

The radome & R2D2 are basically the correct colour, FS.36320, but may redo with some AK Real Color, that colour looks much closer to actual. Current colour is Gunze’s C307.

IMG_7412-L.jpg

IMG_7413-L.jpg

Next up the lower colour, AK’s Real Color for FS.36375.

IMG_7416-L.jpg

I didn’t go to crazy and bleed out most of the pre-shading as I wanted it to be quite subtle. The real aircraft are really dirty and stained underneath, so most of this will be done post decaling.

I didn’t get any further as I needed to wash the car, being black the slightest bit of road grime/dirt and she looks terrible!

But I also did some painting on the 25!  Same process as the pre-shading on the Eagle, except there was a  :poop:   load more colours used and even some masking!

Again none of this shows up in the photos of course!!! But she did look impressive!

IMG_7410-L.jpg

IMG_7411-L.jpg

She was then given a good coat of AK’s Real Color MiG-25/31 Grey.

IMG_7414-L.jpg

IMG_7415-L.jpg

Very happy with the finish and look. These aircraft again were very worn and patchy in real life, so again once the decaling is done the fun begins.

I should get pretty much all of the painting done by the end of next weekend……and maybe even a clear gloss coat on!

• Like 5

• trickyrich changed the title to “Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - started painting

Those are 3 big models to be building at the same time. They seem to be coming along well though so I hope the preshading shows through.

The new gloss coat sounds interesting....

• Thanks 1

Ok not quite to the gloss stage but very close!!!

Didn’t quite get as much done as I had hope, had visitors yesterday which didn’t help.

I had planned to use some masks for this scheme, but after careful looking at photos of these aircraft I noticed the demarcation did have a bit of a soft edge to it, so figured using masks would give me a too sharper edge. So I didn’t use them, but sort of did later on. Plus they wanted you to paint her in reverse, lightest colour last!

Anyway the first colour on was Sand, it’s quite a hard colour to paint as it is quite light and with any additional coats, as in touch-ups its starts to change colour! But got a nice solid coat so all was good.

IMG_7417-L.jpg

Next up was the Green, and masking. For the demarcation between the Sand and Green I used BluTac sausages. Because I didn’t want the green to go everywhere else I used the masks for the Brown, this would give me a nice  edge for the Brown later on…….and I forgot photo of this stage!

So the Brown, using the Brown masks I was able to also know exactly where the demarcation for the Sand/Brown was as well........

IMG_7418-L.jpg

.......so lots of sausages later and a splash of paint we had this.

IMG_7419-L.jpg

Nice and patchy with the correct pattern. The paint finish on the actual aircraft is even more patchy, especially the Brown. But this is perfect for me at the moment, more will be done once the decals are done.

The BAM Update set I had also came with mask for the insignias and tail flash. As easy as decals can be, paint these would look soooo much better, so out with the masks…….and what a job that was!!! A few times during the masking process I was going to give up. To get them lined up correctly was a huge pain, there were 2 sets of mask for the tail and insignias. They were super flimsy and kept on sticking together, first mask was for the Sand outline, the second, Gunship Grey was for the details.

With a lot of hesitation the masks were removed……

IMG_7423-L.jpg

IMG_7421-L.jpg

…..not quite perfect but they looks awesome, really worth the effort and stress!!

Next up even more masking for the engine metal panels…

IMG_7422-L.jpg

….happy with the results, am slowly learning how to do these panels.

Even more masking for some touch-up work  and the major painting is complete. Added the undercarriage just to help protect the paint a bit.  Really happy with the finish and look, just what I was after. As mentioned once the decaling is done there will be more work painting wise to weather and fade her. Even though they live in protected bunkers they are really dirty a weather, guess they get lots of use.

IMG_7429-L.jpg

IMG_7432-L.jpg

IMG_7431-L.jpg

Can anyone guess what the wee tank thing is in the background???

IMG_7428-L.jpg

Just playing with the stores load, have one pylon which is empty in the photos (or not shown), bottom in this case. Thinking of adding a GBU/JDAM or maybe just a Mk.84 to even it up a bit??

IMG_7427-L.jpg

Ok, time for the usual “ring-in” update!    Lots done on the MiG-25, painting is finally complete, just need to do a slight touch-up on the Black bit under the nose as there was a slight bit of paint bleed.

IMG_7424-L.jpg

IMG_7426-L.jpg

The really strange thing I found is there was no clear painting guide to the metal engine panels in the ICM/Kitty Hawk/Revell painting guides, if they did have any, they were all completely different, same with the black under the nose. Plus the Ukraine aircraft, the black was painted slightly different as well!

IMG_7425-L.jpg

So this one is now ready for clear coats and decals, again even more weathering will be required after the decals are done.

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to “Ra’am-a Hammer Time” - IDF F-15I Ra’am - the Eagle has landed!
9 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Fantastic painting, especially with the masks for the tail markings and roundels, wow! Are you using AK Real for the Israeli desert camo paint colours too?

yeah, would have loved to have used MRP stuff but I can get them. So it's AK's Real Colors. I have both of their paint sets, early and Modern IDF sets. Really do like this paint a lot, nearly as good as the MRP stuff. 

• Like 2