Question as to color of tan/green camouflage on Royal Hellenic PZL-24's post 1940

28ZComeback

Hello all, 

I am researching the color schemes of Greek PZL-24's post 1940, and cannot determine the exact shades of green and tan utilized by the RHAF.  Some sources show a type of middle stone, others a RAF earth brown. I know that the PZL-24s were delivered in an overall silver scheme, in 1938, and were painted by the Greeks as war approached in 1940. I don't know this as a fact but I presume the Greeks "borrowed" paint from the RAF.  In fact, some sources show a RAF dark green, a RAF tan and then a type of RAF dark brown on the upper-wings, in small squiggles. Can anyone clarify the exact shades of tan involved, and perhaps a color swatch online or other resource? Thank you very much. 

I've never seen definite statements, but the Greeks could have obtained paint from a number of different sources, predominantly perhaps British or French companies without necessarily being official RAF or L'Armee de l'Air standard colours.  There was no RAF "tan", the official shades used were Dark Earth, Light Earth and Middle Stone.  The last however would not have been available in 1940, at least in significant quantities.  Dark Earth seems to have faded fairly dramatically in tropical/sub-tropical climes, so after a period of service could perhaps be mistaken for its Light equivalent.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Mr. Boak!  My impression is that paint was in such short supply that the dark earth was "thinned down" in the field and as you pointed out, appeared to be a "tan".