Airfix 2023

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

Looks like we might see a Hurricane but what scale?

Link to Rumour

Without wanting to rain on anybody's parade does a rumour not need some substance beyond a single wild speculation? I'm not trying to be mean spirited, just the pedant in me flinches at the ease with which one comment is so quickly accepted as substantive without skepticism.

Edit: My apologies, I didn't click the link, assuming it was the same link posted earlier on the 'Telford rumours' thread, announcing Duxford's 'unsung hero Hurricane exhibition', not the Airfix specific event. I agree that's less tenuous!

Edited by Ngantek

25 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Without wanting to rain on anybody's parade does a rumour not need some substance beyond a single wild speculation? I'm not trying to be mean spirited, just the pedant in me flinches at the ease with which one comment is so quickly accepted as substantive without skepticism.

Email announcing the event was titled “Brace Yourself” clearly substantive evidence it’s actually a 1/24 Hawker Fury…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 28/10/2022 at 00:16, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m amazed how much resentment there is towards Spitfires.

I would assume if members on here owned their own model manufacturing businesses and the top three kit sellers were all Spitfires, they may look at things slightly differently? 

Cheers.. Dave 

I don’t think it’s resentment Dave, I suspect it is more frustration.

I get the Iconic status, but it is a single type with many variants....some with civvy colour schemes and some in 1:32 belonging to a certain heavy metal group.

My lot actually started military flying and have had some iconic types....but they just don’t sell.

Surely you have to wonder when small companies in the Ukraine are bringing out Beavers, PC6, Miles Messengers, and yet Airfix....  Another Spitfire (usually more expensive and less well produced than some Easter European companies). Haven’t seen an Auster in decades, Westland types? Other than a few notable examples (ok the Lynx and possibly Seaking HC4) nowt. Plenty of DFCs awarded to helicopter crews but...

Yea I know, Spitfires sell and so they should but how about the rest?

Incidentally I am resolve to building just one Spitfire. It’s not anti, there are just so many other quirky iconic aircraft that served.

• Like 1

I have just picked up Airfix's 1:48 Blenheim I.

Looking at the layout I reckon that they could produce a Blenheim IV without too much expense - I would have thought that it should sell well?

• 3 weeks later...

Just idle speculation , but the Airfix decal designer posted on FB that he was given some cakes with Bristol Fighter motifs by the wife of the Airfix Head designer. 

And the Airfix team visited 
Aerospace Bristol back in August….

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Received my copy of Airfix Model world this morning, this is the December published but dated January 2023 issue (confusing I know...) On the back inner page is always the next issue date, which is usually during the first week of the month. January publication seems to have been pushed back to the second week, on street sale date now 12th jan. So it would seem that the 2023 catalogue announcement must be w/c 09/01/2023!

On 26/11/2022 at 00:29, Dave Fleming said:

Just idle speculation , but the Airfix decal designer posted on FB that he was given some cakes with Bristol Fighter motifs by the wife of the Airfix Head designer. 

They also visited the HAAF at Middle Wallop.

Chipmunk in 1:48....check but in the most obscure scheme the Army ever had it in FFS

Scout....nope

Sioux....nope.... and the Italeri offering isn’t perfect

Beaver....resurrection of the 70s model as a classic....rude to Army aviation. Deserves better.

Auster AOP9...... fat chance

Taylorcraft Auster Mk 1.....even less chance

Saro Skeeter....nope

Gazelle.....nobody had got that right yet but still nope

Apache AH1 

Ha

Ha

they visit a lot of places but Spitfires sell. 

• Confused 1

1:72 Buccaneer but with Martel missiles/data pod scaled down from 1:48 kit and/or Sea Eagle missiles from 1:72 SHAR kit would be good please :) could get a late period Ark Royal or '80s RAF schemes from that.

I'm hoping for another new tool Cold War jet in 1:72, probably a Jaguar. Would love a new Tornado F.3 though, or even a GR.1 (Revell one has some issues) especially with JP233 or the double ejector racks so it can have 8 thousand pounders, or even a WE177.

A Black Buck reboxing of the Vulcan with the "dash ten" pod off the Buccaneer would also be on my wishlist.

• Like 1

My take is any of the following in 1/72nd scale:

Mig 21 

Battle

F4B US Navy Vietnam

FW 190D

Ki 46 Dinah

Dv Albatross

Bristol Fighter

Hampden

In 1/48

Me109G

Spitfire IXc

F-86 reissue USAF Korean War decals

Hurricane MK II

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:36 AM, andyretro said:

1:72 Buccaneer but with Martel missiles/data pod scaled down from 1:48 kit and/or Sea Eagle missiles from 1:72 SHAR kit would be good please :) could get a late period Ark Royal or '80s RAF schemes from that.

A Black Buck reboxing of the Vulcan with the "dash ten" pod off the Buccaneer would also be on my wishlist.

Plus 1 for the Buccaneer with a Martel fit. I feel the need for some Vangelis while I work.

I feel Airfix dropped the ball not getting a Black Buck out this year to meet the 40th anniversary of its use, but we can be patient.

• Like 2

1/72  DH Mosquito NF.30  Revamp of the B.XVI with fighter canopy and bull-nose. Markings for Branse Burbridge 85 Squadron and 157 Squadron.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, wellsprop said:

We WILL see a new 1/48 tools of the Westland Lysander and/or Hawker Fury.

There, I've picked my hill, I'm not moving 🤪

And if they don't comply, will you charge dowhill fast and FURYous?

Because if you do, I'll happily join in!

On 26/11/2022 at 01:29, Dave Fleming said:

I missed that post that they'd visited aerospace Bristol! 

I wonder what it ACTUALLY means though, I t would seem to me that it would be sensible for Airfix to hire a scanner and scan anything and everything. Albeit, it is clear they have done specific visits for certain things. 

I'm not sure we'll see Airfix branch out into WWI, but I may be wrong (personally, I don't think it would be such a strong seller).

On a side note, I highly recommend Aerospace Bristol, it's more than just an aircraft museum, it looks at the industry itself and the wider impact the industry has had on Bristol - as an aerospace graduate of a Bristol university and an aerospace engineer in the South West, I really appreciate the museum :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 19:59, Steve Coombs said:

Plus 1 for the Buccaneer with a Martel fit. I feel the need for some Vangelis while I work.

I feel Airfix dropped the ball not getting a Black Buck out this year to meet the 40th anniversary of its use, but we can be patient.

Just get a Vulcan, add refuelling probe, add correct reg, add one bomb....repeat.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:59 PM, wellsprop said:

I missed that post that they'd visited aerospace Bristol! 

I wonder what it ACTUALLY means though

Well OBVIOUSLY we're getting a 1/48 Bristol Brabazon. 

/runs off cackling

• Haha 5