Airfix 2023

On 9/12/2022 at 9:33 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

1/72 DH Mosquito TT35? again parts are there

To be strictly correct, the bomb bay aft fairing and the bomb doors are appropriate for the TT but this appears to have been based on a misunderstanding of what version the aircraft that was scanned represented. The kit doesn’t include any of target towing gear, although I doubt it would be too difficult to scratchbuild.

My guess is we’ll get a B.X with the non bulged bomb bay and that’s probably it. It would not be too difficult to convert the current kit to a PR.34; the hardest part will be sourcing a canopy, unless you also want to scratchbuild all the camera bay internals as well.

• Like 1

Every year since Airfix took on the red box mantle, with top notch art work and a new direction

Aircraft

1/72 Hampden

1/72 Manchester

1/72 Halifax

1/48 Westland Wasp crica 1980s

1/48 Phantom FGR to match up with the Buccaneer 

1/48 Gannet (Just because)

Armour

1/35 Sherman Firefly

1/35 Vickers Light Tank

1/35 Matilda I

1/35 Centurion circa Korean War

Aircraft

1/24 Sopwith Camel (Dream on)

1/24 F4-U Corsair 

1/350 WW II British Submarines U, S or T Class

1/350 Leander Class Frigate with all fits available Gun, Exocet, Sea Wolf, Ikara and Exocet TA. Not broadbeam (That would require a new hull and upper deck.) 

1/350 HMS Cavalier/WW2 Destroyer

Not asking for much in the next 3 years.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2022 at 6:27 PM, chuckb1 said:

1/350 WW II British Submarines U, S or T Class

1/350 Leander Class Frigate with all fits available Gun, Exocet, Sea Wolf, Ikara and Exocet TA. Not broadbeam (That would require a new hull and upper deck.) 

The good news is that the S and T class submarines are already available from Starling Models and the Leander is available from Atlantic Models. Both I'd suggest are better and more complete kits than anything Airfix is currently capable of producing. :)

• Like 2

A better priced Firefly would certainly be appreciated - the only ones I can find are in a much higher price bracket to Airfix's other 1:35 armour.  However unless they can do it for a similar price to their current Sherman & Cromwell kits (£35ish), I reckon it is unlikely to be worth them bothering with due to the competition.

Jamie, agree on the Leander, and already have the Atlantic one.  Not cheap, but looks VERY nice (& has good reviews too), and soon to be Apollo F70, when she was flagship of the 2nd Frigate Squadron in the late '70s.

Still hoping though for a 1:350 or 1:700 Ark Royal IV, in '70s fit-out.

• Like 1

Sorry to interrupt all of this wingy thing talk, but here's a novel suggestion that would possibly light up a few AFV modellers. How about a new, state of the art, 1/35th scale model of an IDF M50. All we have at the moment is the rather long in the tooth offering from Dragon.

OK, back to wingy things.:giggle:

John.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Said it before, and I'll say it again

Grob Tutor & Viking, markings for the various AEF's / VGS. Discounted 'bundles' to Air Cadet Sqns. Get the youngsters interested

Wouldn't mind a Phenom too though.....

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 1

According to the Sprue Talk video today, Airfix have scanned every aircraft at the RAF Museum Cosford. Whether they intend to make kits of all of them is another matter...

(Apparently it was partly at the request of the museum so they could create a 3D model of the museum to check if changes of layout would work).

Edited by Richard Humm

59 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

(Apparently it was partly at the request of the museum so they could create a 3D model of the museum to check if changes of layout would work).

One hopes that includes the airframes in storage on the other side of the airfield (and RAF Stafford).

23 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

According to the Sprue Talk video today, Airfix have scanned every aircraft at the RAF Museum Cosford. Whether they intend to make kits of all of them is another matter...

Should see some interesting kits then, how about the Hunting H126? 😊

Also mentioned on the latest Sprue talk was no (or rather - no intention) of a major Airfix announcement at this years Telford event, which I found a little surprising. Perhaps they don’t have a ‘big ticket’ item they deem suitable for a typical Big Bang unveiling for next year? 

My take on all this chatter is a large concentration of Starter Sets will be coming our way.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

I've just listed all the kit options for 1/48 front line, post war, British military aircraft (because I'm fun like that), I'm going to see if I can use this to apply some logic to what Airfix may produce... This, of course, all comes with the caveat that I really haven't got a clue 😅 (and yes, I have intentionally excluded all the big stuff, they simply won't be kitted in 48th by Airfix i.e. Vulcan)

Aircraft highlighted in bold are produced by Airfix.

Those that have another manufacturer by them, indicates the kit is already produced, the colour denotes availability; easily available (i.e. Hannants), can be found (i.e. Kingkit, Ebay), hard to find and/or extremely expensive.

RAF

• F-35B - Italeri
  • Typhoon - Revell
  • Tornado - Revell
  • Harrier Gr7/9 - Hobby2000
  • Jaguar - Kittyhawk and Airfix
  • Buccaneer - Airfix (ok RN boxing only, but that presumably will change)
  • Harrier Gr1/3 - Kinetic
  • Phantom - Hasegawa (FG2 version is easy to get hold of, FG1 not so much)
  • Lightning - Airfix
  • Javelin - Airfix
  • Hunter - Airfix
  • Swift
  • Sabre - Airfix
  • Venom - MikroMir (soon available) and Classic Airframes
  • Venom NF - Classic Airframes
  • Vampire - Airfix
  • Canberra - Airfix
  • Meteor NF - Sword
  • Meteor F8 - Airfix
  • Meteor F3 - Tamiya

This leaves the Supermarine Swift as the only totally unserved aircraft type - however, given that the Airfix 72nd Sword didn't sell well, I don't see this being a reality.

Kitting the Jaguar Gr 1/3 would leave Airfix as the only contender and without competiton. Having previously been kitted by Airfix, there is recedent for it to be re-kitted (Lightning, Buccaneer).

In addition the Venom (single and twin seat) and possibly the Phantom could be options. The Phantom has the benefit of being both RAF and RN (with minor differences). Whereas the Venom is a truly classic British aircraft (this seems to be Airfix's main market).

Fleet Air Arm

• F-35B - Italeri (admittedly the FAA don't yet operate the F-35)
  • Harrier Gr7/9 - Hobby2000
  • Harrier FA2 - Kinetic
  • Harrier FRS1 - Kinetic
  • Buccaneer - Airfix
  • Phantom - Hasegawa
  • Sea Vixen - Airfix
  • Scimitar - Dynavector / Scratchaeronautics (DBMK are producing a kit)
  • Sea Venom - Classic Airframes (you'll need to remortgage for this and that's before you've even found one!)
  • Sea Hawk - Trumpeter
  • Attacker - Trumpeter

Once again, the Phantom and (Sea) Venom turn up. The other is the Scimitar, however, I'm not sure this would be a great seller (being an obscure FAA jet).

Fleet Air Arm Props (Post War)

• Gannet AS - Classic Airframes (another extremely expensive and rare Classic Airframes kit)
  • Gannet AEW
  • Wyvern - Trumpeter
  • Firebrand - Clear prop models are supposedly making one
  • Skyraider - Italeri 
  • Sea Fury - Airfix
  • Sea Hornet - Trumpeter
  • Firefly V - Special Hobby
  • Seafire 47 - Airfix
  • Seafire XVII - Airfix
  • Seafire XV - Special Hobby

Fairey Gannet! :D

I struggle to see the Firebrand being likely. The Skyraider kit is old and hard to get hold of, but again, I struggle to see Airfix covering this.

The other option I can imagine Airfix covering is (albeit, I reckon it'd be more likely in the original kit's scale!)

1241646-17841-83-720.jpg

And finally;

Helicopters

• Merlin - Airfix
  • Wildcat
  • Lynx - Airfix
  • Chinook - Italeri
  • Puma
  • Gazelle - AMP
  • Wessex - Italeri
  • Sea King - Hasegawa
  • Belvedere
  • Scout
  • Wasp
  • Whirlwind - MikroMir have planned to produce one
  • Sycamore - AMP
  • Dragonfly - AMP
  • Sioux - Italeri

Now, I know helicopters aren't popular, but the Scout/Wasp boxing would seem the obvious. In addition, the Sea King and Puma would be other possible options.

In summary, I would suggest the logical post-war British aircraft for Airfix to cover would be;

• Jaguar
  • Phantom FG1/FG2 (albeit I think this is unlikely as Revell (Hasegawa) offers the FG2)
  • Venom (including NF and Sea Venom) (MikroMir are due to release a single seater, but I presume this will be limited run)
  • Gannet
  • Sea King (Hasegawa are re-releasing their SH-3H, but this is a long way off a Westland Sea King)
  • Wasp/Scout
  • Puma

Personally, I'd really like to see the Gannet and Wasp :)

• Like 5

On 10/2/2022 at 8:38 PM, Richard Humm said:

ooh... Airfix Bristol 188 ?  

• Like 1

I tried typing Google into Google, it retaliated by suggesting that the next 1:72 Airfix kit would be a 1:72 model of the 1:1 scale version of the 1:72 scale Spitfire built by James May.....   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, IanHx said:

I tried typing Google into Google, it retaliated by suggesting that the next 1:72 Airfix kit would be a 1:72 model of the 1:1 scale version of the 1:72 scale Spitfire built by James May.....   :)

Lets hope they upgrade that to 1:48 scale!! 

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, wellsprop said:

Those that have another manufacturer by them, indicates the kit is already produced, the colour denotes availability; easily available (i.e. Hannants), can be found (i.e. Kingkit, Ebay), hard to find and/or extremely expensive.

:goodjob:

I like your logic but I am not sure I fully agree with your assessment of the availability of an RAF Jaguar GR.1/3 in 1/48 scale. I would have categorised that hard to find and/or extremely expensive.  The Kitty Hawk Jag GR.1 is very hard to find and unlikely to be re-released anytime soon (I understood Kitty Hawk Models had shut down and not producing any more models) probably easier to find the old Airfix kit. The situation with the Jag in 1/72 is similarly pretty poor. So logic would probably suggest adding the Jaguar GR.1 / GR.3 to your list. The 1/48 Phantom FGR.2 on the other hand is still relatively easily available in a recent Revell boxing of the original Hasegawa kit (£29.90 at Amazon) - FG.1 version less so.

Rich

Edited by RichG

@RichG I stand corrected, you're quite right, the Jaguar Gr1 and 3 are practically impossible to get hold of - in fact, the old Airfix kit is easier to find.

Somehow I missed the Revell FG2 boxing on Amazon!

I have amended my conclusions accordingly - placing the Jaguar Gr 1/3 as an obvious choice. From what I gather, it has popular support too, many people on Britmodeller have mentioned the Jaguar as a "want".

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

@RichG I stand corrected, you're quite right, the Jaguar Gr1 and 3 are practically impossible to get hold of - in fact, the old Airfix kit is easier to find.

Somehow I missed the Revell FG2 boxing on Amazon!

I have amended my conclusions accordingly - placing the Jaguar Gr 1/3 as an obvious choice. From what I gather, it has popular support too, many people on Britmodeller have mentioned the Jaguar as a "want".

There are 3 aircraft that needed to be redone.  Buccaneer, Jaguar Spey Phantom.

My betting is that Airfix will do the Jaguar and Phantom over the next couple of years. 

I think the term "cash cow" comes to mind.  And of course there will  be something totally left field............................. 1/48 Beaufighter .....Gannet.

Dick

43 minutes ago, jenko said:

Spey Phantom.

Gannet.

But....but, I just spent 6 months and lots of money updating the Hasegawa Phantom....  

And I'm doing likewise with the CA Gannet....

Agreed though!

• Like 1

On 04/10/2022 at 14:24, wellsprop said:

I've just listed all the kit options for 1/48 front line, post war, British military aircraft (because I'm fun like that), I'm going to see if I can use this to apply some logic to what Airfix may produce...

I honestly don't think we'll see a 1/48 post war British jet next year, we just got the Bucc this year. Year after maybe

43 minutes ago, jenko said:

. . . 

I think the term "cash cow" comes to mind.  And of course there will  be something totally left field............................. 1/48 Beaufighter .....Gannet.

They did have some of the artwork done a while back. This is from a real box. not edited or 'photoshopped'

Beaufighter%20box%2C%2001-M.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I honestly don't think we'll see a 1/48 post war British jet next year, we just got the Bucc this year. Year after maybe

I'm inclined to agree - I have to admit, I only specifically chose 48th, postwar, British jets becuase the list is relatively easy to cover and it's where my current interests lie.

Sticking with 48th (why, because it's the only scale I care about - sorry!), I think if we may see;

Fairey Gannet

Westland Wasp

Fairey Battle

Bristol Bulldog

Hawker Fury

I'm also looking forward to being totally wrong - although I correctly guessed the Chipmunk and Buccaneer. The modelling gods rewarded me with the former for my 200+ hours of CAD and 3D printing my own Chipmunk and, for the latter, buying the old kit and lots of expensive resin upgrades!

If the modelling gods stay true, we will definitely see a Hawker Fury and Gannet (for the same reasons listed above, respectively).