Airfix 2023

10 hours ago, jenko said:

The irony here is that Frog used to be owned by Rovex who are now Hornby....... what goes around comes around. Hey ho.

Dick 

With Hornby just over a few fields away.

Thought this might be interesting from a history point of view.

https://uk.corgi.co.uk/community/blog-and-news/die-cast-diaries/hornby-homecoming

The black and white picture is enlightening ...Rovex also made Triang. 

Dick

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Revell owns that one though.

No, they didn't actually buy the FROG kits they issued in the 1990s. They bought them in from DFI in Donetsk. Considering what's going on in that area, I can't see any of the FROG moulds held by DFI getting back into use.

The only FROG tools that Revell actually owned were the WWII Axis aircraft that the Soviets refused to buy.

Things I'd love them to do but don't think they will:

1/72 Viscount, Andover and new tool F-27. Kneeling 1.72 Andover with a full interior would be very cool.

1/144 Boeing 737 and 727 new tools - we know they aren't going to do any airliners but we don't have a decent kit of either of them

1/72 Varsity, Lincoln (I know lots of people want one but it just seems too much of a niche subject), York, Hastings

1/48 Master III, Balliol, Scimitar. Texan II would be nice but they don't seem to be interested in many modern subjects.

Things I'd like to see and think they might possibly do:

1/48 Jaguar, Gannet, Venom, Harrier, Vampire T.11: There's been a new tool British Cold War aircraft most years for the last decade or so, and all these would fit the bill. They've done some trainers as well so the Vampire T.11 wouldn't be out of step.

New variants of the Vampire, Vulcan, Mosquito

A 1/48 trainer: Harvard seems like a very obvious choice to me

A 1/72 multi-engine WWII aircraft, either British designed or used by the RAF: There's been something along these lines most years in the Hornby era, either a new tool or a new variant. If it's new tool, how about a B-24 or Halifax?  New variant, I can actually see them doing the Manchester given the commonality with the Lancaster, or how about a Wellington X?

Something British, or American and used by the RAF/FAA, from WWII in 1/48: Harvard might cover this. But a Lysander or Gladiator would be nice. If it's American, how about an Avenger?

Something to fill gaps in the 1/72 postwar British range: Javelin, Whirlwind helicopter (I know they're doing the vintage kit this year, a later version would be nice. And there's an Xtradecal sheet in Hannants future releases with three options for HAR.9s on it, do they know something we don't?)

And the turboprop Swordfish of course.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, zebra said:

If it's new tool, how about a B-24 or Halifax?

Mk.II Series 1 with proper engine nacelles would be nice. Also offers room for different subvariants - both tail variants, BP nose turret, smooth perspex nose, Coastal Command.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:05 PM, zebra said:

1/48 Jaguar, Gannet, Venom, Harrier, Vampire T.11: There's been a new tool British Cold War aircraft most years for the last decade or so, and all these would fit the bill. They've done some trainers as well so the Vampire T.11 wouldn't be out of step.

New variants of the Vampire, Vulcan, Mosquito

A 1/48 trainer: Harvard seems like a very obvious choice to me

The Jet Provost and Percival Piston Provost fit both of these categories. A Strikemaster in 1/48 would be nice too, though it’s a a substantially different bird than the JP

12 hours ago, Robert said:

I would not be surprised to see the Westland Whirlwind fighter from WW2, probably 1/72.

Regards

Robert

I know there’s a group in the UK working on a static replica so I’d imagine there is enough info around for Airfix to do this. I’d like to see it in 1/72 and 1/48. Although their classic kit isn’t too bad. It’s definitely worth a Vintage Classics release.

15 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Mk.II Series 1 with proper engine nacelles would be nice. Also offers room for different subvariants - both tail variants, BP nose turret, smooth perspex nose, Coastal Command.

I think a new Halifax from Airfix is inevitable, it’s just a question of when. Apparently Corgi chooses its aircraft subjects separately from Airfix or we could predict a new Halifax and Stirling based on these both appearing in the Corgi range in 1/72.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zebra said:

A 1/72 multi-engine WWII aircraft, either British designed or used by the RAF: There's been something along these lines most years in the Hornby era, either a new tool or a new variant. If it's new tool, how about a B-24 or Halifax?  New variant, I can actually see them doing the Manchester given the commonality with the Lancaster, or how about a Wellington X?

I think you could add the Douglas A-20 Boston/Havoc, the B-26 Marauder, and the A/B-26 Invader to this list, although the latter was not used by the RAF. There’s almost certain to be a new Hampden in the next few years too.

• Like 2

I think a case could be made for the deHavilland Hornet/Sea Hornet in 1/72 and/or 1/48.

The Bristol Brigand entered service and saw combat in the Malayan Emergency and served in the RAF from 1945-58. Then add in the Brigand’s siblings, the Buckingham and Buckmaster.

A Warwick in 1/72 would be excellent.

• Like 2

On 20/08/2022 at 01:05, zebra said:

1/48 Jaguar, Gannet, Venom, Harrier, Vampire T.11

A 1/48 Vampire T.11 would be superb.  Sign me up!

22 hours ago, Robert said:

I would not be surprised to see the Westland Whirlwind fighter from WW2, probably 1/72.

That would be cool, too.

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There’s almost certain to be a new Hampden in the next few years too.

Again, I'd like to build one of those.

Since I only work in 1:72, I would have to say why not some accurate new moulds to replace some of those old worn out, inaccurate ones that no-one else (mainstream) does well?

Particularly:

Fairey Battle

Sopwith Pup

Roland C.II

RE8

AVRO 504

Hurricane MK I both rag wing and metal wing

AVRO Anson

Brewster Buffalo

and throw in some early WWII French types too, to make it really interesting!

Ian

• Like 2

On 21/08/2022 at 16:13, Brandy said:

Since I only work in 1:72, I would have to say why not some accurate new moulds to replace some of those old worn out, inaccurate ones that no-one else (mainstream) does well?

Particularly:

Fairey Battle

Sopwith Pup

Roland C.II

RE8

AVRO 504

Hurricane MK I both rag wing and metal wing

AVRO Anson

Brewster Buffalo

and throw in some early WWII French types too, to make it really interesting!

Ian

Aren't Hurricanes already well served by the Arma Hobby kit and also Airfix's own recent tooling?

Definitely a 504 though - 1914 RNAS bomber version please!

• Like 2

Grob Tutor, as some days on Flight Radar it’s the most numerous RAF aircraft flying…

Only slightly tongue in cheek, it would be nice to have modern kits of the current Air Force, as well as the recently out of service.

Edited by Teuchter
Spell checker didn’t like Grob!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Grob Tutor, as some days on Flight Radar it’s the most numerous RAF aircraft flying…

Only slightly tongue in cheek, it would be nice to have modern kits of the current Air Force, as well as the recently out of service.

Usually see these flying around at Cranwell most weekends while I'm at the gliding club. None up today though, more space in the sky for gliders :)

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 12:15 AM, RichG said:

I was watching a YouTube creators tour that Airfix hosted recently. In their presentation Airfix illustrated the different factors that influence selection of a particular subject and using the 1/48 Hawker Hunter as an example, Airfix cited: 1) Lack of competition / market gaps; 2) British subject; 3) Iconic; 4) Export potential; 5) Airshow regular; 6) Readily available for research.  With a question mark aound (market?) "enthusiasm". Also emphasised was the importance of other kits around the subject (i.e. creating a "collection") as part of a release schedule rather than a one-off with no where to go with it (e.g 1/72 Swift as an example). Growing a range was important, as were previous sales performance / making money (Spifire anyone...?). I guess nothing particularly new here but interesting nonetheless to hear it from Airfix direct.    

Going out on a limb here, but I think the new tool announcements will be limited to 2~3 new kits as in previous years.

But I will re-state my previous prediction of a new tool 1/72 B24 Liberator as their tent pole release for 2023... Going via the above criteria:

1. Lack of competition / market gaps-Hasegawa tooled a D in 2007 but kits are thin on the ground and pricey!

2. British subject-not quite but in use by the RAF and also a large number of other Air forces world wide.

3. Iconic-self explanatory

4. Export potential-see #2

5. Airshow regular-at least 2 are still airworthy

6. Readily available for research-lots of surviving examples for research.

7. Market enthusiasm/part of an existing range-fits nicely between Airfix's B-25 and their B-17 kits...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, RussellE said:

1. Lack of competition / market gaps-Hasegawa tooled a D in 2007 but kits are thin on the ground and pricey!

The D is not currently available but you can still get the Hasegawa B-24J. In Japan it sells for about $36 or £31.

1 hour ago, RussellE said:

Going out on a limb here, but I think the new tool announcements will be limited to 2~3 new kits as in previous years.

They have been announcing more than 2 or 3 in recent years - there were 7 kits announced in 2020 (1/72 Spitfire Vc standard, Spitfire Vc starter, Hawk starter, Sherman Firefly, Tiger, 1/48 Sabre F.4, 1/35 Cromwell), 5 in 2021 (1/72 Mosquito XVI, Tempest, 1/48 Chipmunk, Vampire, 1/35 Austin K2) and 7 in 2022 (1/72 Meteor F.8, 1/48 Buccaneer, Anson, 1/43 Chiron, Huayra, E-Type, 1/24 Spitfire).

• Like 1

I think I've seen it on this thread only once  which is a surprising omission. But I  would have thought it obvious. The F4U Corsair in 1/72 or 1/48. The rationale is simple, it's an iconic fighter and it saw extensive service with the  FAA and the US Navy. Yes sure Tamiya sets the  standard but they would  be more  expensive. Revell's 1/72 version doesn't  know whether it's a 1A, 1D or -4. The old Airfix kit is long  overdue for replacement.

Then there's the Hellcat, an Avenger, a new P47. A metal wing Hurricane in 1/72 and probably a P38.

All of the above are pretty  standard in most manufacturers ranges. All need  updating in the Airfix range.

I  think one or more of the above is all  but inevitable at some point. 

As for kits I'd like to see but probably won't.

Lysander.

Miles Magister in1/48. 

F9F Panther

T6/Harvard

1/24 F4U Corsair. (But then again I  never saw the Hellcat coming).

If I  was to predict the most likely subjects to  be kitted. I'd go P47 and, full disclosure, I'm biased, an F4U-1D/Mk IV Corsair. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Airfix releases recently have at least to me been 50% obvious and predictable and 50% delightfully random. 

That said, I wonder if we'll finally see a 1/350 QE class? I want one. You want one. BAE staff want one. I'd imagine it would sell hotcakes, maybe with an updated reissue Merlin, new tool Wildcat, Chinook and Apache? I can dream alright 😁

A 1/72 Hornet would be a logical choice to go with the Mozzie and could easily be retooled for other options. Winkle's Sea Hornet maybe? 

Airfix are overdue a new Jag, again infinite reboxing and mark options and would complete the Cold War RAF line-up. All we'd need after that is a new GR.3 and GR.5. 

My totally reasonable wishlist:

1/350 QE Class with complete air wing (and optional broken starboard shaft)

1/72 Hornet Mk III

1/72 Jaguar GR.1B

1/48 Merlin HM2 or HC4 

Some are more likely than others but all hopefully inevitable

This is always my favourite thread of the year - totally pointless, wild guesses and wishlists :) But it reminds me of how I used to feel as a kid in a model shop looking at the stack of Airfix kits :D

I have a feeling we're due a 1/72 Hunter - I know Revell already produces one, but it seems bang in the middle of Airfix's market. A Sea Vixen in 72nd would seem an obvious choice too.

A bit of wishlisting from me is a 1/48 Westland Wasp.

My realistic guess is a 1/48 Hawker Fury (biplane).

1/72
Hawker Hunter

DeHavilland Sea Vixen

1/48

Hawker Fury (biplane)
Westland Wasp

And I agree with the popular comments, Lysander, Battle, Albemarle and Hampden.

• Like 5