Airfix 2023

6 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

As far as vintage classics go, I’d love to see the Rotodyne and Cessna O-2 reissued. I know the Cessna is a bit of a challenge, but I’d rather that than no kit at all.

I think the rotodyne moulds were dug up out of storage so this is likely

My prediction is that over 90% of the possible new moulds named in this thread will not be announced for 2023.

On recent announcements l would guess two new 1:48 aircraft, one series 2 or 3 series 1:72 and one larger 1:72 kit, plus a few reissues.

Plus one 1:35 vehicle and if the sales of the Sherman and Tiger were god then a couple more tanks done as basic and full featured in 1:72.No new cars this year.

Lastly 4 to 7 vintage classics.

Edited to add: I also expect to see a larger than usual number off removals from the catalogue as the warehouse inventory is reduced.

• Like 2

Same as usual for me, all 1/72

Lightning F1/3, I guess a tub would be too much to ask

Javelin

Canberra

Sea Vixen

and I guess a new Jag and Hunter family wouldn’t go amiss

Last granted wish was the Bucc

SD

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looks to me like the Manchester, Lincoln, Sea Vixen and Javelin are the top 1/72 wishes

I could not agree more. These would all be brilliant choices!

Regards,

Jason

There was a post in the Armour Chat section that referred to possible 1/35 developments by Airfix, content of the said post has since been deleted by @Das Abteilung, still it got me thinking of what Airfix could concentrate on in 1/35?

Well why not stick to the 'smaller' British softskins and do a staff car or two, a new Tilly (i.e. not the Austin), Bedford OX/OY, re-pop the Austin K2 as an AFS fire tender.

or look at the vehicles of the 60's/70's, the Ferret, as mentioned, a Bedford MK/MJ or even the 'RL' as mentioned by @Bullbasket above all sound good to my ears.

or why not switch scales, add an overlap with Aircraft modellers & these then become possible in 1/48th

On 25/07/2022 at 22:15, dogsbody said:

I'd like to see the re-release of all the RAF ground vehicles, but in new 1/72 scale.

1. RAF Emergency Set

2. RAF Refueling Set

3. RAF Recovery Set

Add to this any other British vehicle they originally released in 1/76 scale.

Chris

Edited by Circloy
contents of post linked to has been deleted by Das Abteilung
  • Thanks 1

I was watching a YouTube creators tour that Airfix hosted recently. In their presentation Airfix illustrated the different factors that influence selection of a particular subject and using the 1/48 Hawker Hunter as an example, Airfix cited: 1) Lack of competition / market gaps; 2) British subject; 3) Iconic; 4) Export potential; 5) Airshow regular; 6) Readily available for research.  With a question mark aound (market?) "enthusiasm". Also emphasised was the importance of other kits around the subject (i.e. creating a "collection") as part of a release schedule rather than a one-off with no where to go with it (e.g 1/72 Swift as an example). Growing a range was important, as were previous sales performance / making money (Spifire anyone...?). I guess nothing particularly new here but interesting nonetheless to hear it from Airfix direct.    

I think a couple of the following kit subjects could be on the Airfix to do list:

1/72

Jaguar GR.1/3

Boeing B-29 / Washington

Canberra B.2

1/48

Phantom FG.1

Jet Provost T.5

Douglas Boston / Havoc

Lysander

Personally, as others have said, I'd love to see 1/72 versions of the Sea Vixen FAW.2 & Javelin FAW.9 (does the 1/72 Meteor point to a new Airfix trend?). A 1/72 HP Hastings would be fantastic as would some more 1/72 UK helicopters - Wessex, Whirlwind and Belvedere to accompany the Sea King which must be feeling lonely😀  

Rich

• Like 5

I was talking to a chappie at Airfix a couple of days ago and he told me that their special announcement at Telford would be the long awaited 1/24th scale TSR2 with full in service weapons load and cockpits.

At least I think he said he worked for Airfix but he was also wearing a white coat and giving away some very nice pills.

Graham 

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, GrahamS said:

I was talking to a chappie at Airfix a couple of days ago and he told me that their special announcement at Telford would be the long awaited 1/24th scale TSR2 with full in service weapons load and cockpits.

At least I think he said he worked for Airfix but he was also wearing a white coat and giving away some very nice pills.

Graham 

Interesting antenna on his head and a green tinge around his gills?  That would be @Martianmatey. Don't try on the hat with wires sticking out of it he offers, well not unless you want to be one of his harem...

• Haha 4

My predictions:

Starter sets

1/72 Bf 109G-6

1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (metal wings)

1/72 Harrier GR.1

1/72 F-35B

1/43 Aston Martin DB-5

1/43 Lamborghini Murcielago

1/43 Mustang Shelby GT500

Regular kits

1/72 DH Sea Venom FAW.21

1/72 Republic P-47D Razorback

1/72 Douglas A-20A/B Havoc/Boston

1/48 Fairey Gannet

1/48 Bristol Bulldog

1/72 Centurion Mk.VIII

1/72 Panzer IV

1/72 StuG III

1/35 Churchill

1/35 Comet I

Edit to add Vintage Classics

1/600 Queen Elizabeth

1/600 Canberra

1/600 Scharnhorst

1/600 HMS Manxman

1/72 F2H-1/2 Banshee

1/72 HH-53

1/72 F-117A Nighthawk

1/72 B-1B Lancer

1/72 Lockheed U-2C/D

1/48 McDonnell-Douglas AH-64A Apache

1/32 Morris Marina

1/32 Bond Bug

1/32 1904 Mercedes

1/12 Napoleon 

1/12 Queen Victoria

1/12 Richard the Lionheart

1/72 Borging B-17E/Fortress II

1/72 Borging B-17F late/Fortress IIa

1/72 Borging B-29/Washington 

1/72 Mosquito B Mk.XVI with 633 Squadron markings and a piece of Norwegian (Scottish) rock, Vesuvius sir, Vesuvius!

1/72 Short Belfast (fat chance!)

1/72 Douglas DC-7C Seven Seas

1/24 Ford Capri Mk.1 both left and right hand drive. 2000cc and 2800cc

1/24 FW-190A, a companion to the Spitfire Mk.IX

1/24 Jawa sand crawler (you can hide your stash in it)

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How about a nice Churchill MkI/II in 35th scale?? Well we can all dream can't we! 😁

On a serious note, i am quite keen to see how or if they will extend their own 35th scale armour range 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, lasermonkey said:

As far as vintage classics go, I’d love to see the Rotodyne and Cessna O-2 reissued. I know the Cessna is a bit of a challenge, but I’d rather that than no kit at all.

+1   vote for Cessna O-2

Since we're voting, I'll add a few that I could see Airfix adding, rather than just listing what I want to see. Luckily, there's some crossover! All 1/72, as I have no interest in other scales.

Javelin. There really aren't any great kits and I strongly believe that a 1/72 kit would sell better than the 1/48 one on cost alone, which would tempt  those who "just want a Javelin" and don't care about scales. I know Airfix can be frustratingly dogmatic at times, but there is a market for the Javelin and with careful planning, all the variants (bar the T.3) could be made, meaning repeat sales. I've said it before, but I wouldn't buy a single 1/48 Javelin (or any other kit for that matter) but I would buy several 1/72 ones.

Jaguar GR.1/3. Again, no great kit in the scale and an aeroplane that seems to be popular, especially with the Gulf War association.

Canberra (bomber canopy versions). No great kits in the scale, with the available ones being massively overpriced for what you get. A very popular aeroplane with plenty of colour scheme options.

I've already mentioned the Lysander, but another popular aeroplane with no decent kit in 1/72. As there are several in museums and on the warbird scene, with a large variety of possible colour schemes, it's one I am positive would be a good seller. Airfix have already kitted it twice.

F-5E. I know the Wolfpack kit is due soon, but we don't know how good it is and it's bound to be expensive here. Another aeroplane with lots of colour schemes and therefore multiple purchase potential. I need at least five.

F-84F. Used in lots of air forces and already kitted by Airfix long ago.

F-86A. Apart from the old Matchbox kit, has anyone done the A series in 1/72?

Lightning F.1/2/3. Just get over your stubborn dogma and embrace the extra sales you'd get from adding just a few parts to an already decent kit. As it happens, I only needed a two or three F.6s (which I already have), no F.2As and a whole load of the earlier versions. Judging by how much the now unavailable Sword kits go for on eBay, I'd say there was a market.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

F-84F. Used in lots of air forces and already kitted by Airfix long ago.

F-86A. Apart from the old Matchbox kit, has anyone done the A series in 1/72?

Yes on the Thunderstreak and no one that Im aware of did an “A” outside of Matchbox late model corsairs the -4/4B/5/7/AU-1 all need a good tooling in 1/72. The Italeri kits try to do too much and they suffer because of it. 

After looking at your latest list @trickydicky210 you may add the following to votes. I vote based on my actually buying the item if released.

72 Lincoln 

72 Hastings

72 P-47

72 Boston 

72 Harvard

72 Stirling

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 4

On 7/30/2022 at 3:15 PM, RichG said:

I was watching a YouTube creators tour that Airfix hosted recently. In their presentation Airfix illustrated the different factors that influence selection of a particular subject and using the 1/48 Hawker Hunter as an example, Airfix cited: 1) Lack of competition / market gaps; 2) British subject; 3) Iconic; 4) Export potential; 5) Airshow regular; 6) Readily available for research.  With a question mark aound (market?) "enthusiasm". Also emphasised was the importance of other kits around the subject (i.e. creating a "collection") as part of a release schedule rather than a one-off with no where to go with it (e.g 1/72 Swift as an example). Growing a range was important, as were previous sales performance / making money (Spifire anyone...?). I guess nothing particularly new here but interesting nonetheless to hear it from Airfix direct.    

I think a couple of the following kit subjects could be on the Airfix to do list:

1/72

Jaguar GR.1/3

Boeing B-29 / Washington

Canberra B.2

1/48

Phantom FG.1

Jet Provost T.5

Douglas Boston / Havoc

Lysander

Personally, as others have said, I'd love to see 1/72 versions of the Sea Vixen FAW.2 & Javelin FAW.9 (does the 1/72 Meteor point to a new Airfix trend?). A 1/72 HP Hastings would be fantastic as would some more 1/72 UK helicopters - Wessex, Whirlwind and Belvedere to accompany the Sea King which must be feeling lonely😀  

Rich

Further to that it was also mentioned about concentrating on starter sets for the next year over everything else so there maybe less new/re-issues than many are hoping........ 

The reality will be :-

Wrong scale 

Wrong subject

Totally unbuildable

They've not looked at a real aircraft / tank

Far too expensive

Oh no not another Spitfire

The list goes on

Dick 

From the land of Hornby just down the road from me.

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, jenko said:

The reality will be :-

Wrong scale 

Wrong subject

Totally unbuildable

They've not looked at a real aircraft / tank

Far too expensive

Oh no not another Spitfire

The list goes on

Dick 

From the land of Hornby just down the road from me.

But everyone will agree that the marking options are excellent 

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2