Canberras from when I was a kid… I want one

Back in the summer of 1979 we went on holiday to Cornwall and stayed near RAF St Mawgan. I have a memory of seeing lots of Canberras with yellow and black hatched paint schemes on the underside.

Anyone know what type they were and which 1/72 kit would make the best basis for doing one?

2 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Thats a 100 sqn Canberra.  I recognise the tail markings.  We used them for ground to Air firing when I was on Rapier  back in the 80s. The Canberra would fly towards us towing a Rushton "Smoke pot" on a long  cable ( I think it was about a mile but maybe wrong ) 

As the Canberra flew over our position we we were free to engage the target. 

7 sqns badge was some stars I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I was thinking more of the yellow and black markings, but thanks for letting me know what they were used for.

The yellow and black markings were for visibility in identification  as a target tug. RAF aircraft used in this role have had them since the late 1930s and certainly  into the 1980s. 

12 hours ago, cherisy said:

Thats a 100 sqn Canberra.  I recognise the tail markings. 

Indeed so. 

12 hours ago, cherisy said:

7 sqns badge was some stars I believe.

Not just any old stars, it was the Plough iirc.

I think that you require a B2 kit ( I stand to be corrected) as the basis and then add the winch and other stuff. See links.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMP72018?result-token=9HyY6

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/ac-302-rushton-winch-and-towed-target-set

The TT18s of RAF St Mawgan moved to RAF Wyton in early 1982 to become part of a larger 100 Sqn, which had moved there from RAF Marham moving into where 13 Sqns had been situated on the base.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, Harry_the_Spider said:

Back in the summer of 1979 we went on holiday to Cornwall and stayed near RAF St Mawgan.

I was on holiday with the folks at Trewan Hall, St Columb Major in 1976 and 1979, and had a pleasant time spotting the Canberras and Nimrods. In some dark corner of the flat I should have a grossly underexposed slide of some stripy Canberra TT18s flying past from the International Air Day. 4th August, 1976 - nearly 46 years ago! Eek.

They were a regular sight around Cornwall, my Neighbour worked on them when he was with Airwork and took me to work (I was a schoolboy) a couple of times when he did overtime on a Sunday.

Unfortunately most of my old photos have been lost over the years but I've been able to salvage some.  

Many of the Canberras on 7 Sqn wore the 'City of Truro' crest during their last couple of years at St Mawgan. 

WJ639 was the only one with a rear view mirror. 

7814745256_60788e1447_c.jpg

7809413260_6fc8bf4be8_c.jpg

7806680322_b4f5f081ed_c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1