Cutty Sark 1:130...upon the wind and waves

Hello everyone,

I was impressed by the job on the Cutty Sark by JJ2016, so decided to present my work so far on the same build.

I got the model in December, an Airfix Vintage classics kit, scale1:130, mould tools and pack illustration made in 1967 (even before I was born !!)

Cutty%20Sark%20Kit.jpg

Sad to say that there has been a lot of flashing on this  kit, so cleaning and parts preparation took a while, and I faced some accidents throughout the process (broken parts) which were fixed by gluing the parts again, some need to be scratchbuild.

Some months have passed, so right now the situation is like this

Cutty%20Sark%201.jpg  Cutty%20Sark%202.jpg

Cutty%20Sark%203.jpg  Cutty%20Sark%204.jpg

Cutty%20Sark%205.jpg

currently struggling with rigging and shroud making

Cutty%20Sark%205.jpg

I decided to make holes with a needle on the rigging tensioners, pass the rissing through it and keeping it in place by making a knot.  Hope I will manage to keep the riggings tensioned later on.

Cutty%20Sark%206.jpg  Cutty%20Sark%207.jpg

Then one day, as I was listening music, the Waterboys song "Upon the wind and waves" came up, so I though I make a small base and have the Cutty Sark sailing...

Cutty%20Sark%208.jpg  Cutty%20Sark%209.jpg  Cutty%20Sark%2011.jpg

so it is going to look like this......

Cutty%20Sark%2012.jpg    Cutty%20Sark%2013.jpg

Well, that is the current status.

Still a long way to go, but hope the result will be nice.

If anyone has an idea on splashing waves making, please advise!

Cutty%20Sark%2014.jpg    Cutty%20Sark%2015.jpg

Thanks and Be Well!

Igkor

PS Transferred this from Ready For Inspection forum, where I posted by mistake.

Edited by IGKOR
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I can’t help with the waves, sorry. But that does look a very neat and tidy build.

Jon

Τhank you, Jon.

It has a long way to go to finish.

Be Well!

Igkor

36 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Igkor, she was a beautiful ship and you're doing a great model of her. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. Regards, Jeff.

Τhank you , Jeff.

Hope it will come out to be a nice model.

Bd Well!

Igkor

• Like 1

@IGKOR, good luck with this build. I have lost count how many times I have done it and really enjoyed it each time!

Thank you too for increasing the size of the photographs, they were a little small when I saw the post in RFI, they really show what a great job you are doing.

All the best,

Ray

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

@IGKOR, good luck with this build. I have lost count how many times I have done it and really enjoyed it each time!

Thank you too for increasing the size of the photographs, they were a little small when I saw the post in RFI, they really show what a great job you are doing.

All the best,

Ray

Τhank you, Ray, especially for pointing out the photos size issue.

Its encouraging that you have enjoyed every build you did!

Be Well!

Igkor

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2022 at 19:14, Bertie McBoatface said:

That seascape is so simple and yet so very effective. Cape Horn weather!

Thanks Bertie!

Guess its the entering the Cape Horn weather!

Although not in any contact with the sea, there is just a lake in my hometown, I think Cape Horn is a bit wilder....

Be Well

Igkor

• Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 09:25, IGKOR said:

If anyone has an idea on splashing waves making, please advise!

Adding vallejo transparent water texture to cotton wool works well. You can also smear it on some plastic (clear polypropylene) binder inserts, the bubbly kind impart some texture, with and wihout some strands of wool impregnated into it, to give the effect of water run-off. The latter can also be used to build up waves.

There are lots of videos on youtube that show off some decent methods, but the above has worked for me. I'd recommend a trial or a few before adding to your excellent build.

David

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

managed to take one more step ahead with this build by making the shrouds.

Cutty%20Sark%2016.jpg

To get this result I used the special tool provided with the kit, followed the instructions

Cutty%20Sark%2026.jpg Cutty%20Sark%2027.jpg

glued the horizontal and vertical threads at  the intersection point with liquid glue for plastics (the one used to glue the plastic parts of the kit), let it dry for 1 day, then passed the end of the threas through the tensioners holes, made a small knob and cut off the remaining part

Cutty%20Sark%2017.jpg  Cutty%20Sark%2019.jpg Cutty%20Sark%2020.jpg

The result was really nice, as the glue stabilized the threads and provided hardness on th shrouds, which actually can stand in place on their own!

Cutty%20Sark%2022.jpg Cutty%20Sark%2023.jpg Cutty%20Sark%2024.jpg

Next step is cutting off the shrouds in the correct length to attach them on the masts.

Thanks and Be back soon!

Be Well!

Igkor 

• Like 5

@IGKOR, They look as though you have done them very well indeed. Thanks for the hint about the glue you used. I tried using liquid poly on my Endeavour's shrouds and ratlines but it did not work, probably because I did not use enough (I was putting the glue where the joins were rather than all-over) and did not give it a day before seeing whether it had worked or not. I will practice a bit more.

Ray

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray S said:

@IGKOR, They look as though you have done them very well indeed. Thanks for the hint about the glue you used. I tried using liquid poly on my Endeavour's shrouds and ratlines but it did not work, probably because I did not use enough (I was putting the glue where the joins were rather than all-over) and did not give it a day before seeing whether it had worked or not. I will practice a bit more.

Ray

For my Cog build, I put PVA on my fingers and pulled the rigging thread through them. The thread stayed flexible but also had a bit of rigidity, also I read that it helps repel dust.

Jon

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Faraway said:

For my Cog build, I put PVA on my fingers and pulled the rigging thread through them. The thread stayed flexible but also had a bit of rigidity, also I read that it helps repel dust.

Jon

some say that shellac has a similar effect but I’ve never tried that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Faraway said:

Jon

One good thing by using the glue for plastics is that if something is not "catchie" to my eye (e.d. a horizontal shroud is not parallel to the others)  it is easy to remove that part, and glue in the new postion.

Be Well!

Igkor

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

a bit of rigging work done...

Found a rigging drawing to be based upon

Cutty%20Sark%2028.jpg

so I started to work on it about 3 days ago, working at first on the foremast

Cutty%20Sark%2029.jpg  Cutty%20Sark%2030.jpg

I must admit it is not as easy as I thought nad a lot of patience is needed.

On the third day (yesterday afternoon) I went on with the center mast. Naturally, since its a bit warm (35 degC) I decided to work sitting on my balcony, since there was a light sense of air floating around, so I could get cooled a bit.

Bad decision! (ha) A sudden stroke of air broke the mast!!!

Cutty%20Sark%2031.jpg

Tried to glue it but I the plastic glue does not provide a stable result. Think I have to try either a stronger glue or think of another solution to get stability. But right now I got upset, so I will take a break to relax and gain peace of mind to go on.

Any recommendation from anyone?

Be Well!

Igkor

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, IGKOR said:

Any recommendation from anyone?

I guess this demonstrates the power of the wind to break a mast that isn't braced by rigging. Bad luck, Igkor.

One possibility for a strong repair is to drill holes into the broken ends of the mast and insert a metal pin before gluing it back together.

42 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

One possibility for a strong repair is to drill holes into the broken ends of the mast and insert a metal pin before gluing it back together.

Gidday @IGKOR, sorry to hear of your misfortune with the model. I would recommend the same as Bertie, drilling into both ends of the mast and inserting a pin. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

7 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I guess this demonstrates the power of the wind to break a mast that isn't braced by rigging. Bad luck, Igkor.

Thanks Bertie, i will do that.

Be Well!

Igkor

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @IGKOR, sorry to hear of your misfortune with the model. I would recommend the same as Bertie, drilling into both ends of the mast and inserting a pin. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Thank you Jeff, will do so.

Be Well!

Igkor

• Like 1

Using a metal pin is a good way to go IGKOR, I did it with the mizzen mast on the Endeavour when I found it was badly bent and would not bend back. Good luck with your repair.

Ray

2 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Using a metal pin is a good way to go IGKOR, I did it with the mizzen mast on the Endeavour when I found it was badly bent and would not bend back. Good luck with your repair.

Ray

Thanks Ray!

Keep u updated...

Be Well!

Igkor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1