1/48 Hasegawa RNZAF A-4K Kahu, NZ6202.

Very nice lizard scheme on the scooter!

Just a shame we no longer have them in NZ as they were a superbly capable a/c.

Also, if we had managed to get AIM-120's for them, they would have been even more capable.

Just an observation: the antenna on the lower part of the ventral fin. I've only seen it mounted at 90deg from the fin and not vertical. I still don't know why this happened, but presumably there was a reason.

I used the Hase kit for my all-dark-green Kahu version. They are a great kitset and go together very well indeed.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:51 PM, kiwitrogg said:

spacer.png

Edited by hairystick
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Maginot said:

Very nice modelling. Camo scheme looks great. Lucky enough to see these scooting across the sky on a diving trip to Jervis Bay in... oh... can it be that long ago?

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks magic Gaz, the scheme they wore for the Kiwi Red display team, long been a favourite of mine, having seen them twice, 1988 at Richmond & 1990 above the Whitbread boats departure from AKL. About 1/2 a lifetime ago now.   :(

Steve.

Hi Maginot and Steve.....thanks 🙂

Yeah, 21 years.  Seems like yesterday........I work with guys who weren't even born when we operated them. I feel old.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hairystick said:

Very nice lizard scheme on the scooter!

Just a shame we no longer have them in NZ as they were a superbly capable a/c.

Also, if we had managed to get AIM-120's for them, they would have been even more capable.

Just an observation: the antenna on the lower part of the ventral fin. I've only seen it mounted at 90deg from the fin and not vertical. I still don't know why this happened, but presumably there was a reason.

I used the Hase kit for my all-dark-green Kahu version. They are a great kitset and go together very well indeed.

Thanks Hairystick. 

Indeed, they've proved far from being the 'clapped out' aircraft that someone once proclaimed. It would have been good to have had the F-16s though, and seen how they coped with our flying conditions.

And well spotted that man.......I'll sort that antenna out next week. I missed that. :doh:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

• kiwitrogg changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa RNZAF A-4K Kahu, NZ6202.
10 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

It would have been good to have had the F-16s though, and seen how they coped with our flying conditions.

There's a very good talk online about this (possibly a NZ warbirds assn. talk?).

The Vipers were equipped with the larger tailplanes since they were earlier models, BUT had massive updates elsewhere & the big engines. The pilots were singing the praises of what we would have got.

... Then they discuss the financial aspects of the procurement. Essentially we were being "given" them after selling the scooters to another country.

All to be ruined by Heilen...

• Like 1