1/48 Hasegawa RNZAF A-4K Kahu, NZ6202.

Evening All

I keep saying I need to start posting more RFIs again.......here's a start.

Here's one built between Dec 20 and June 21; I had a few things on the go at the time which unfortunately ate into my modelling time.

This represents NZ6202 based out of Nowra in the late 80s.  I used Gekko Graphics' RNZAF Skyhawk sheet Part 1 for this build and chose this subject because of it's scheme and also the fact that it wears both 2 and 75 Sqn markings.  I have another 2 subjects planned which will each wear either 2 or 75 Sqn markings, and each will be in a different scheme, so this one keeps the balance nice and even.

The kit is the Hasegawa PT21 07221 A-4E/F, and the Kahu modifications were scratched from plasticard and tube referencing various internet resources including our own Hamfisted Modeller. Airscale's Modern Cockpit Instrument decals helped with MFDs for the now invisible cockpit.

I Hope you like it.

Cheers :bye:

Gaz

I took it out of the cabinet today, gave it a bit of a dust off and glued some bits back on before taking some more photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's now sitting in a display cabinet at work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This one's for Silver Fox.  I always appreciated seeing your avatar. RIP mate.

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
  • Like 54
  • Thanks 2

• kiwitrogg changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa RNZAF A-4K Kahu, NZ6202, Nowra NAS.
4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Kiwi Magic! 👍👍👍

Thanks Bandsaw......them were the days.

17 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

Superb, one of if not the best scheme the Skyhawk ever wore imo 

Thanks, I agree with you.  They were changing to the overall (bland) green about the time I got here in '98. I'll do a Macchi in these colours as well one day.

Chur  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FlyingPigg said:

This's looking good,I like the scheme of RNZAF Skyhawk very much, but it is difficult to buy Hasegawa kits (09441) in China, and it is not easy to buy aftermarket decals

Yuebin

I see quite a bit of Tamiya and Hasegawa in TaoBao.

44 minutes ago, Cklasse said:

I see quite a bit of Tamiya and Hasegawa in TaoBao.

Yes, Tamiya and Hasegawa in mainland China are not only many but also the cheapest in the world. But I'm talking about the 1/48 RNZAF Skyhawk that Hasegawa released in 2002, which is simply not available in China.

Yuebin

A great looking Kiwi A4. They used to put on some terrific displays at Nowra.
It was always a sore point that the RAN had to give them up then bring them back until they were sold out again.

• Thanks 1

That's a very nice result,

am ashamed to say I have one of the Hasegawa NZ kit's  that is another one of the part started category but keep being diverted by new releases.

If only the kit manufactures would stop for say 30 years I might catch up...... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• kiwitrogg changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa RNZAF A-4K Kahu, NZ6202, *New Photos Added*
22 hours ago, FlyingPigg said:

Yes, Tamiya and Hasegawa in mainland China are not only many but also the cheapest in the world. But I'm talking about the 1/48 RNZAF Skyhawk that Hasegawa released in 2002, which is simply not available in China.

Yuebin

If you can get hold of an A-4E/F kit then maybe Oldmodelsdecals can supply the decals.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's a stunning hooter! I love the pseudo euro 1 scheme that the NZ adopted towards the end...suits the A4 really well. Great work! 👍👍

Thanks Binbrook87.  FYI, I've got post pis of my XS452 sometime soon.

22 hours ago, luis pacheco said:

I love the Kahu.

I´m waiting for the conversion by Phase Hangar.

https://phasehangarresin.com/?utm_campaign=shopify_cart_reminder&utm_medium=email&utm_source=abandoned_cart

Thanks Luis. And thanks for the link, might make my next ones a little easier.

15 hours ago, Paulaero said:

That's a very nice result,

am ashamed to say I have one of the Hasegawa NZ kit's  that is another one of the part started category but keep being diverted by new releases.

If only the kit manufactures would stop for say 30 years I might catch up...... 🤣

Thanks Paulaero...........and I feel your pain 🙂

13 hours ago, DrumBum said:

Great looking build of a great looking plane. 

As flown by Kiwi legend “Easty”.

Thanks DrumBum. 

Yeah I think they did pretty well with what they had, and many (like Easty) went on to bigger and better things overseas.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Cheers

Gaz

Very nice modelling. Camo scheme looks great. Lucky enough to see these scooting across the sky on a diving trip to Jervis Bay in... oh... can it be that long ago?

• Like 1

That looks magic Gaz, the scheme they wore for the Kiwi Red display team, long been a favourite of mine, having seen them twice, 1988 at Richmond & 1990 above the Whitbread boats departure from AKL. About 1/2 a lifetime ago now.   :(

Steve.

• Like 1