Asymmetric load out in Nam

Late finish from Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB, a dirty F-4E "Spunky VI", Thailand 1969, loadout as parsed from photo by @f111guru, thank you Ron. General grubbiness and two tone tan to match photo.

Details

• Kit FineMolds F-4E (early)
  • FineMolds missiles and bombs sets
  • Quinta studios 3D pit and seat details
  • Master pitot
  • scratched strike camera
  • Xtracolor enamels brush painted (pit acrylic paints - and windscreen blue Tamiya)
  • W&N matt varnish
  • Flory washes
  • errors (multiple) all my own
  • WIP at link:

At bottom my Nam pair; RB-57E from 2020, and then my trio of long-nose Rhinos:

• USAF F-4E (early), Thailand, 1969 - FineMolds - now
  • USAF F-4E, Turkey, Gulf War, 1991 - Hasegawa - early 2021
  • JSDAF F-4EJKai, Japan, 2007- FineMolds - May 2022

Common to all, apart from my cack-handedness, Master pitot.

Open to comments. My observations:

• Struggled with fixing the bombs and the daisycutters' extended fuses are too delicate / not parallel.
  • Quinta studios 3D pit and seat details - really liked this though the canopy latch handles are too small for me to use.
  • I wanted the radome to be shinier than the camo, perhaps too shiny?

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 34

Nice work on the Double Ugly (Uglies)! I'm working on one right now. I'll probably go with 18 Mk.82s or something like that. That is an interesting load out you have! Is that a 'Patricia Lynn' nose on the RB-57E?

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Nice work on the Double Ugly (Uglies)! I'm working on one right now. I'll probably go with 18 Mk.82s or something like that. That is an interesting load out you have! Is that a 'Patricia Lynn' nose on the RB-57E?

Regards,

Jason

Jason, thanks.  Yes Patricia Lynn, Airfix kit with dimple filled in on nose and Blackbird Models B-57E tail faired in. It’s a long way from @canberra kid cross kit accuracy ( no Frog wings, no Italeri cockpit, etc). 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think anyone can match canberra kid when it comes to Canberras! Still, your's looks nice, and if Blackbird Models ever get that nose in again, I'm going to buy it and do an RB-57E for my Vietnam War collection.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very nice Phantom, I like it a lot. I missed the WIP thread and plan to spend some time later looking through it. I have all of the Fine Molda Phantoms and have strated two of them and I am hoping your post will give me the motivation to finish them.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Billy54 said:

Very nice Phantom, I like it a lot. I missed the WIP thread and plan to spend some time later looking through it. I have all of the Fine Molda Phantoms and have strated two of them and I am hoping your post will give me the motivation to finish them.

Thank you. They are very nice kits to build, with a lot of nice features and decals are good. I am probably happier with my build of the EJKai, but this E benefits from the very nice Quinta set, much of which is hard to photo at end. Which ones are you on with?

Chris

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 6:21 AM, Chrisj2003 said:

Jason, thanks.  Yes Patricia Lynn, Airfix kit with dimple filled in on nose and Blackbird Models B-57E tail faired in. It’s a long way from @canberra kid cross kit accuracy ( no Frog wings, no Italeri cockpit, etc). 

Chris

Nothing wrong with your build Chris, the Airfix is the most accurate out of the box B.57, on the subject of asymmetric loads the RB.57E was probably the first combat aircraft in SEA to drop a bomb in anger, they were the first jets in along with the Abel Mabel RF101's 

hx9GEX.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
typo
  • Like 1