Two and a half F5s

Marklo

DCDB5-F66-1-C01-4-A40-9757-B90514-CDC2-DThis is what my stash and my local toy ( not hobby) shop contained. In the interest of not overly confusing myself I’ll build them as a trio. They’ll be pretty much oob except where there’s some obviously wrong that needs correcting and I still haven’t decided on colour schemes yet. 

• Like 8

Decision time.

82316658-2-E0-D-4-BC3-BC26-14-E870-C9-D5
Can’t resist SEA camo plus my B58s going to be in a similar scheme so I can paint them together.

9-EA26419-1383-4-EBB-985-E-42-AAD28-C417
TBH I’m getting tired of aggressor schemes on my modern jets but I like this one.

57-DC0841-F7-C4-4-B1-A-AFB5-A0-AA90-D9-C

I’m thinking of staying with the kit scheme for the tiger shark as it does look pretty good.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

Nice choices of markings Marklo.

Your choice of two seater is different from what you have kit wise though, the picture is an F-5F and your kit is an F-5B and there's quite a lot of difference between them. Not that you can't paint your B in that scheme if you want as WHIF's are allowed but just thought you would like to know.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

the picture is an F-5F and your kit is an F-5B and there's quite a lot of difference between them

I’ll take a look I do like the tail marking on the F but if it’s a big job to make a B into an F I can live with the kit scheme.

46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

the picture is an F-5F and your kit is an F-5B and there's quite a lot of difference between them

I’ll take a look,  I do like the tail marking on the F but if it’s a big job to make a B into an F I can live with the kit scheme.

• Like 1

I’ve now built a few of their kits and although basic they’re not too bad and they’re also pretty cheap.

BAE123A7-1EE5-45B1-BDBE-27583FADDAF6.jpg
Their Sabre in the Swans aerobatic scheme.

A87-F23-B1-8459-469-D-A396-9-A133564-D49

PM su 15 which I re finished in Ukrainian markings.

As with the F5s virtually no interior detail but general shape is ok and the decal sheets are pretty good.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Just looking at the camo choices again on the F5B if you look carefully at the kit scheme the tip tanks are still in SEA camo so I’m presuming it was an ex US airframe that wasn’t completely painted over. A nice little quirk; exactly the kind of thing I love in a build :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Started on the Airfix Tigershark

37-DFD9-B5-E8-C4-42-DB-91-AD-8-F8206842-

Needed a surprising amount of fitting and clamping.

And shock horror the two PM kits have raised panel lines :( 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Good work. I’m sorry to say that airfix kit is about the worst 144 kit out there so don’t be crestfallen if it is a bruising build. I’m sure you’ll work wonders with it. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ajmm said:

I’m sorry to say that airfix kit is about the worst 144 kit out there so don’t be crestfallen if it is a bruising build.

Absolutely. I’m building a Revell strike eagle in the same and it’s superbly engineered by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

6-BA9-C810-AB64-49-DA-8-E87-24-D61-DCAC4

I wouldn’t even call the interior of the PM kits rudimentary, maybe classic :) Need to clear it out and make a stab at a proper office.

03-D0-DECE-E3-B6-4-F43-9-A5-E-06710-DC3-Tipping along. The two PM kits have been sanded and fitted and I’ve made a start on the interiors. The Airfix has been fettled a bit.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Not even sure what they provide can even be called an interior, pretty much anything you do in there is going to be an improvement.

It’s very reminiscent of how kits were in the seventies a seat and or a pilot and that’s about it. 

Actually having now finished four PM kits and having two in progress I strongly suspect they are reboxes of ancient Airfix/Revell/novo/frog or other kits. They also all have nice modern decal sheets and fairly decent camouflage prints ( the instruction sheets are all very basic) hmm.

Still I’d like to think a fairly decent model can be coaxed out of one and they are good value.

0340-D466-4-E0-E-4708-BB81-1-D4-CBF88-B9

My PM Benibato.

4-EC1-A99-C-850-A-4-F93-9-A53-49898250-DMy PM Flagon ( now in Ukrainian markings)

3045-C876-2354-4360-96-E5-79-E95-B47-F69

PM Yak on the right. For those still interested Hasegawa Me109G6 converted to a TL Jaeger on the left a 1943 paper project that got transferred to FW for development but only saw the light of day as various Early MIG and YAK jets.

BAE123A7-1EE5-45B1-BDBE-27583FADDAF6.jpgPM Sabre very nice decal sheet.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

Just now, 81-er said:

According to Scalemates, these both trace their origins back to a Pioneer kit tooled in 1980

Yes that sounds about right. They’re not terrible kits ( I’ve built worse) but they are extremely basic.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the B58, the F100 and the F5A are all in SEA camo, the plan is to progress them all so I can paint them together. Which basically means that the F5A now gets bench priority and I can start painting the camo on all three early next week .

• Like 3