A Better 1/48 Spitfire XIVc

Like many others I am, almost by default, building in 1/48 scale a Spitfire collection.  One gap is a decent early Mk.XIVc as the one 1/48 model, from Academy, has an oddly-shaped fuselage which is slightly too short and rather too deep.  Having acquired one of Airfix's beautiful late model XIVe kite and - shock, horror - a SPARE Airfix PR.XIX, I decided to have a go at creating a decent shape early XIV.

By way of comparison, here is the Airfix XIX fuselage above the Academy XIV.  The Academy fuselage is noticeably too 'dumpy'.

52226762471_664d5626d2_b.jpg

Test fitting the XIX fuselage onto the XIV wings, the basic fit was pretty good but not quite perfect.  The main issue was the underwing / fuselage joint where the XIV part was about 10mm too short, thus requiring my cannibalising the unused fuselage from the XIVe.

52227247305_1eee3f36da_c.jpg52225756632_721380faa7_c.jpg

It was also necessary to adapt the bottom cowling to mate with the XIV wing.

52227033289_9903947922_z.jpg

One subtle area for modification was then wings themselves.  The 'E' wing has the cannon (and hence fairing) outboard, whereas the 'C' wing cannon is inboard.  In turn, the 'C' wing has the outboard .303 machine guns and whilst the panels are virtually the same, I did need to cut out the ejector chutes.  For the cannon fairing, I cut out the Airfix part and, with a little filing, succeeded in mounting the fairings from the Academy kit which, very conveniently, come as separate parts.

52226773993_93074a1b32_b.jpg52227246265_9afaf4ebe7_b.jpg

One other change I made was to remove from the XIV fuel tank the windscreen mounting and transplant it to the XIX fuselage.  At first I regretted this, thinking that it might have been better to use the whole component.  However, I am glad I did it because not only did it graft on very well but I shall be reusing the fuel tank for my next conversion, the Mk.III prototype.

52226772083_40a3d0912b_w.jpg

Here are some more views of construction.

52225757702_ea32b99f29_c.jpg

52225756962_416607092a_c.jpg

52226771188_7a81f60bf4_c.jpg

And finally, the finished article, RB159 of 610 Squadron using Xtradecal set X48130.  Lovely they are too.

52227243600_334c10f5b4_h.jpg

52227243795_7607c8b6b2_h.jpg

52226758001_efde097ed3_h.jpg

By way of comparison with other marks:

52226768948_5775f893ab_h.jpg

52225754362_8417740770_h.jpg

52226768888_5f6fa8a454_h.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed these, I have a full album of images here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26690797@N02/albums/72177720300660623

Best wishes,

Neil

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

One gap is a decent early Mk.XIVc as the one 1/48 model, from Academy, has an oddly-shaped fuselage which is slightly too short and rather too deep.

There is the Hobbycraft (later Kitech) XIV,  which is well  shaped, but a bit like a 72nd kit scaled up to 1/48th.   

Not been available for over 10 years,  last was available really cheaply in Kitech box before that.

The Academy kit is not short, but it is too deep (and the wings are too thick) along with a bunch of other faults,   I keep meaning to 'do' the fixes,  as they are fixable fairly easily 'with some modelling skill' , and a new spinner.    Oddly enough, while the Academy kit kit gets panned on a regular basis, the Airfix Mk.XII kits has nearly all the same faults except for the over size nose ring/spinner,  and over thick wing.   

I'd like my Airfix XII to end up as the Mk.IV... still after details of the Fowler flaps.....

Two nitpicky and possibly fiaxable points

AFAIK the Mk XIV, being based on the Mk.VIII has 4 spoke wheels during wartime. the 3 spoke was post war only.

The yellow prop tips are 4 inch full size, which is 1/12th of an inch, or near as damnmit 2mm in 1/48th (some of your models look spot on this BTW so maybe  just a simple misremembering, maybe making them 4mm yellow tips?)

I mention these as you seem like a chap who likes getting things right.

here's a great colour pic, also of note for the paint worn of the leading edge brass sheathing on the blades..

3690539310_9442b4a3b7_b.jpgSpitfire XIVE by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

10 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

the fuel tank for my next conversion, the Mk.III prototype.

Bear in mind there are several variations of the Mk.III,  if you have not seen it, there is a useful thread here where I collated a load of images and a variant time line, along with a other useful observations from the usual suspects ;) 

Also this post 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58779-spitfire-mk-iii/#elControls_633096_menu

I quite fancy the Mk.III family as well.   Most is pretty simple, but I'm still pondering on how to do the very first windscreen with the straight lower edges,  and they cowl look to be different on the upper part.

be a great one to do as WIP on here. 

Anyway, very neat work on the conversion, looks great!

:goodjob:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 19/07/2022 at 19:37, Troy Smith said:

There is the Hobbycraft (later Kitech) XIV,  which is well  shaped, but a bit like a 72nd kit scaled up to 1/48th.   

Not been available for over 10 years,  last was available really cheaply in Kitech box before that.

The Academy kit is not short, but it is too deep (and the wings are too thick) along with a bunch of other faults,   I keep meaning to 'do' the fixes,  as they are fixable fairly easily 'with some modelling skill' , and a new spinner.    Oddly enough, while the Academy kit kit gets panned on a regular basis, the Airfix Mk.XII kits has nearly all the same faults except for the over size nose ring/spinner,  and over thick wing.   

I'd like my Airfix XII to end up as the Mk.IV... still after details of the Fowler flaps.....

Two nitpicky and possibly fiaxable points

AFAIK the Mk XIV, being based on the Mk.VIII has 4 spoke wheels during wartime. the 3 spoke was post war only.

The yellow prop tips are 4 inch full size, which is 1/12th of an inch, or near as damnmit 2mm in 1/48th (some of your models look spot on this BTW so maybe  just a simple misremembering, maybe making them 4mm yellow tips?)

I mention these as you seem like a chap who likes getting things right.

here's a great colour pic, also of note for the paint worn of the leading edge brass sheathing on the blades..

3690539310_9442b4a3b7_b.jpgSpitfire XIVE by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Bear in mind there are several variations of the Mk.III,  if you have not seen it, there is a useful thread here where I collated a load of images and a variant time line, along with a other useful observations from the usual suspects ;) 

Also this post 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58779-spitfire-mk-iii/#elControls_633096_menu

I quite fancy the Mk.III family as well.   Most is pretty simple, but I'm still pondering on how to do the very first windscreen with the straight lower edges,  and they cowl look to be different on the upper part.

be a great one to do as WIP on here. 

Anyway, very neat work on the conversion, looks great!

:goodjob:

@Troy Smith thank you very much indeed!  You have made some lovely comments and observations and I've tried to respond below.

I didn't know about the Hobbycraft kit and I'm rather grateful I didn't!

I used the back end of the Academy kit to make a F.21 and it did feel a tad portly, while I'd swear the engine area looks a bit inflated too.  I used the Special Hobby VII to make a model of DP845 in its later - XX / VII prototype phase and do fancy a bash at the Mk.IV but, again, those bloody mystery flaps!!

Yes, you're spot-on about the wheels.  I used the XIX wheels and immediately regretted them.  I might raid the spares box!

Those tips!  Yes, I got the yellow tips wrong and the Old Humbrol 33 will be coming out shortly!

That's a lovely pic!

Thanks also for the links on the Mk.III: I'm going to start a thread shortly and shall add the link once it's up.

Thanks again for your really nice response!

Best wishes,

Neil

On 19/07/2022 at 21:15, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful Mk XIV! The only possible nit pick would concern the yellow prop blade tips, that look much too deep.

A most excellent display of modelling skills!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you very much indeed!  Yes, I'll get the black paint out and fix those props!

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/07/2022 at 22:51, ilj said:

Great work!  You nailed it.

I'm working on a couple of XIVs, a c and an e, by combining Eduard and Airfix plastic.  WIP images are over on the other side...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/spit-xivc-spit-xive-wip-t531512.html

ilj

That's a brilliant job there!  I too thought of using a Mk.VIII - how did you get on with the tail fin?

Cheers,

Neil

22 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

That's a brilliant job there!  I too thought of using a Mk.VIII - how did you get on with the tail fin?

Cheers,

Neil

I followed the suggestions in Paul Budzik's video, working slowly, and it worked out pretty good...

• 9 months later...

Update.

I wasn't entirely happy with the finished result.  I had received some genuinely helpful criticism concerning the propellor tips (waaaaaay to much yellow), undercarriage (the three-spoke wheels would not be right for a first-batch Mk.XIV), while I had messed-up the weathering and the finish was too glossy.  Therefore, I set about to fix these errors: the poor weathering was removed using isopropyl alcohol, extra black was added to the propellor blades and I very carefully removed the wheels and replaced them with a lovely pair of four-spoke wheels from the original Academy kit.

Finished product below.

52917051825_d98f0511be_h.jpg

Best wishes,

Neil

• Like 1