Kinetic 1/48 Mirage IIIO RAAF

Thanks folks. Finishing this kit really was an after thought and it literally sat in the bin for a day or two. Required a huge amount of work inserting shims in the wing/fuselage joint on both sides and shims along the spine too. Not a good kit. 

On 7/20/2022 at 3:17 AM, Red Dog said:

Carn the Pies.

Nicely done Drum Bum

Thanks mate. Melbourne lad I am guessing….

19 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!!

:)

Did Australia usw the 1700 Liter Tanks?

Cheers

They did but im not sure how often. 

On 7/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, Maginot said:

Great work, Cobber. Mate I sat next to at school ended up flying one of these.

Cheers mate. Yes I have worked with several Mirage pilots over the years, some great stories. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 3:09 AM, DrumBum said:

Thanks mate. Melbourne lad I am guessing….

They did but im not sure how often. 

Yes they did for ferry flights and Fleet Support tasking (long over water sorties). Though the style of 1700lt tank you have used is not the type the RAAF used,

52237553136_e024b129e8_c.jpg

Nice work BTW!  🏆

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 7:26 AM, DrumBum said:

724a49f3-b62a-4c07-b6c0-0492d067b35d.jpe

This is the reference photo I used but now you mention it, Im not sure its the same style as the one that came with the kit? 

The 1700lt tank that comes in the kit is not the same style used by the RAAF, you can see the one on the aircraft in your picture has a longer pylon and different tail fin group.

• Like 1

Hi

The Tanks in the kit are not for the Mirage III a/c they are the RP30 1700 tanks and Pylons for the Mirage 2000 and are from the Kinetic 2000 D/N kits in fact the hole sprue is from the 2000 mirage kit. This is why there is a fit problem and the fins and pylons are wrong for the Mirage III a/c a lot of work is need to make them ok for the Mirage III.

The tanks are not also fitted square on to the wing they were angled outward so that the do not touch the u/c doors and they have a  2° Nose down angle.

I have a Mirage IIIEA on the go at this time aim using the tanks from the Esci - Italeri the later boxing of the Mirage III kit in place of the Kit ones.

Hope this helps.

Paul

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

The Tanks in the kit are not for the Mirage III a/c they are the RP30 1700 tanks and Pylons for the Mirage 2000 and are from the Kinetic 2000 D/N kits in fact the hole sprue is from the 2000 mirage kit. This is why there is a fit problem and the fins and pylons are wrong for the Mirage III a/c a lot of work is need to make them ok for the Mirage III.

That seems basically correct.... but!

Other airforces seem to have used those large 1700 L (Dasssult?) tanks with this very, pointy and short in height pylon. The fin design was indeed slightly different though  *can be easily modified 

See here e.g 

5263d71bde55863c092d72561d146ba2.jpg

Compared to those 1300 liter ones.

e055da6339ad28b6d37c006f1dfa226d.jpg

Both  SAAF of course...

The 1700 l ones have trapezoidal  and canted fins. The 1300 l ones have straight  ones, with endplates (at times)

Now what puzzles me is that the RAAF seems to have uses again another design :wall:

maybe similar to the finned, jettisonable 500 l super sonic tanks Israel came up with?