T-90 Conversion To T-72 In 1/72 Scale

Mark Cassidy

Folks,

I was wondering if anyone might help me work out how much work would be involved in converting Zvedas T-90 to represent a late model T-72  something like a T-72MB2 or  3 such as is being used by both sides at the moment.  I've looked around for T-72s in 1/72 and cant find any on ebay ect a lot of model collect stuff is like hens teeth, so it got me wondering if it would be a major job to backwards convert Zvedas T-90 to represent a T-72? I know the T-90 grew out of the late model T-72 essentially to compliment the T-80 family by in a lot of ways grafting on the kit from a T-80s fire control system to a T-72, 

I'm not a huge armour builder , am on my third kit but have the bug for it , so any advice is welcome 😀

Butch

I've been looking for a model collect T-72B3 for months, Zvezda have one coming but who knows when we will see it.

There is a multi listing of modelcollect kits on ebay, with a couple of earlier t-72s, one of which is a fairly eye watering £36.95 for a t-72AV.

As well as Revell there are also Ace kits which both come up fairly regularly on ebay.

Also scalemates have the instructions for the modelcollect T-72B3/B3M, I'd take a look and compare it to the Zvezda parts.

• Like 1

Aside from the hull issues with the Zvezda kit there is not a lot of it you can use to make a B3, you would have to source a turret and everything that fits on it. The Revell T 72 is also a bad starting place, as there are so many changes to be made to the turret and hull. A better starting point might be the Revell T 90 (not 90A)which although has problems with the turret will include most of the parts you need. The reality is you would need bits from all 3 Revell kits to get near to a B3. Who knows when we will see the Zvezda B3M .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Due to the long delay on the Zvezda kit ( if they ever start releasing again) I have begun converting the T 90MS to a T 72B3M, the MS hull will nearly give you a hull, of course you have to change the glacis armour and remove the aux generator but all the side armour and bar armour are there, you have to find a new turret or convert a Revell T 72 turret, a good spares box is also helpful.

So if you want to convert, the MS is the better starting point!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi there

Well I normally don't go around this armor pages but I did it today so to my surprise after reading all was that the Modelcollet kits are out of Evilbay bidings still as those kits are actually the best ones in 1/72 scale

So only option is to go to ModelCollect main webpage and buy them directly

Regards

Armando

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Hi there

Well I normally don't go around this armor pages but I did it today so to my surprise after reading all was that the Modelcollet kits are out of Evilbay bidings still as those kits are actually the best ones in 1/72 scale

So only option is to go to ModelCollect main webpage and buy them directly

Regards

Armando

No, as far as I am aware, there are some problems at Modelcollect, due to problems some workers made off with the T 72/64 & T 80 moulds and are now selling them as ready made models called Artisan at extortionate prices, also buying direct from Modelcollect you never know when you are going to get it (if ever) as a lot are pre pay for non existent (or not made yet) models, but still they don’t have the T 72 range anymore.

As for being the best! That is subjective, if you want something that looks like a T 72, then all models do that, if you are after a specific variant, that is a whole new can of worms, each model has it’s good and bad points and mixing and matching you can get to where you want to be. There are also aftermarket items that will improve models from wheels and tracks to turrets but that can get expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old pro said:

No, as far as I am aware, there are some problems at Modelcollect, due to problems some workers made off with the T 72/64 & T 80 moulds and are now selling them as ready made models called Artisan at extortionate prices, also buying direct from Modelcollect you never know when you are going to get it (if ever) as a lot are pre pay for non existent (or not made yet) models, but still they don’t have the T 72 range anymore.

As for being the best! That is subjective, if you want something that looks like a T 72, then all models do that, if you are after a specific variant, that is a whole new can of worms, each model has it’s good and bad points and mixing and matching you can get to where you want to be. There are also aftermarket items that will improve models from wheels and tracks to turrets but that can get expensive.

Modelling world have became nuts (you can also add the price not only of plastic models but even old used books and don't forget about the mail wages) crazy world specially we btw before forgetting the Pandemia still goes on