1/350 tug boat speed build

So this is my third concurrent ship build..but this ones really tiny, a 60' harbour tug. I thought about buying a kit but I'm going to try scratch build this out of whatever I've got lying around. If it's terrible I can always buy one later to go into the final diorama.

My only reference.
saturn-steam-tug-hobby-scale-model.jpg

Quick hull form to use as template to cut the foam core that will bulk the hull.

unknown.png

four rough pieces of foam core

unknown.png

the foam core layered together and covered over with milliput. Smoothed out to close to the hull shape, currently drying on the windowsill.

unknown.png

Should be dry enough to sand down and smooth the hull in a few hours.

As always, I build messy and tidy up later :P
Plan is to smooth out the hull, use some more putty to build up the hull curve above the waterline. I'll use bits and pieces of PE I dont need from the other kits and raid my bits box for the rest.

Hoping I can get this done (excepting painting, too hot to airbrush atm) in two to three days.

• Like 6

Milliput dried so fast on the windowsill it bubbled, never seen that before but better than waiting 24 hours before sanding.
unknown.png

Literally junk from the bottom of my bits box I'll use for this build
unknown.png

Start of the deckhouse, used some spare PE from the Liberty Ship, Door's will get covered over with some greebling.
unknown.png

• Like 1

6 hours in and pausing for tonight.

unknown.png

bridge more or less done, there is still the windows/roof to go on the bridge tower itself but I'm going to have the interior visible and a couple of crew in there.

Edited by TomTango
  • Like 4

most of the detailing on now, just bollards, lines and fenders to go on.

The roof and windows for the wheelhouse will go on half way through painting, rigging will of course be done after painting.

unknown.png

• Like 2

yeah, she's definitely a bit portly, and has far too much draught as well for the reference.

I think the problem is I increased the length to 70mm as I wanted something about  25m long, but also increased the beam to 23mm. Kind of wish I'd kept the beam to something more like 18mm. 

Once I've painted the base coats I'll see how I feel about using the model in my diorama. I'm hoping that the draught wont matter as the waterline will be just below the Gunwale and that the over large beam won't really be too apparent when she's in the scene with the other two, far larger, models.

• Like 1

That's it for tonight. 

A bit of filling to do around the bottom of the deck house, bollards and fenders to attach then ready to undercoat.

Current build time about 10 hours.

unknown.png

Edit : Notice the tiny PE deck hatch that I thought I'd lost, but apparently got rolled into my Milliput :D

Edited by TomTango
  • Like 2

ooh that would be interesting to do. in WW1 before she got her second flight deck and still had an X turret. 
I think I'm already forming a nightmare about making a load of 1/350 sopwith camels though.

45 minutes ago, TomTango said:

ooh that would be interesting to do. in WW1 before she got her second flight deck and still had an X turret. 
I think I'm already forming a nightmare about making a load of 1/350 sopwith camels though.

Gidday Tom, I actually want to do HMS Glorious as built and as converted to a carrier, but in 1/600 though. 1/350 Camels? Piece of cake, although I'll forgive you if you omit the wire rigging between the wings. I've done a couple of trial aircraft in 1/600 for carrier air groups in the future, but they're a bit basic.

Regards, Jeff.

So, realised I made a bit of an error when lining this little boat up along side the others. I'd made the draught so deep that it would sit too high in the water next to them so I've had to cut away about 5mm from the bottom of the hull. Not much progress tonight due to that.

unknown.png

Pretty much all I've done other than cut the hull is add the fenders, bollards and the towing winch on the stern.

Really am learning a lot on this that I'm hoping will improve the result on the other two ships. It's a lot of fun as well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TomTango said:

Pretty much all I've done other than cut the hull is add the fenders, bollards and the towing winch on the stern.

Really am learning a lot on this that I'm hoping will improve the result on the other two ships. It's a lot of fun as well.

Gidday Tom, it's little things like these that can enhance a model considerably. And the fun bit - looks like you've got rule #1 covered.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I saw the plans, but I'm definitely not trying to replicate Saturn. I was just using that image as a rough guide of what a tug should look like :D

I've been working on the Sunderland Steamer today, so no real progress on this one except a base coat. She's ready for painting but I'm waiting on some paints to arrive before I can get on with that.

• Like 1