A lot of Corsairs

16 hours ago, gingerbob said:

@Dana Bell have you any information on that question?

14 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Sorry - no luck on that one.  All the mods were done in Philly.  I've tried the contract files, the BuAer Corsair files, and the BuAer radar files with no luck at all.  One day I hope to find the RG72 series that covers all the Naval Aircraft Factory modification reports - so much to do, so little time!

Cheers,

Dana

14 hours ago, noelh said:

As another Corsair fan I  like your collection a lot. Beautifully made.

As for the F4U 2 radar display. I believe from my research that it was situated right below the glareshield and in the  middle of the instrument panel about 15cm diameter. Never saw a photo though. So don't hold me to that statement.

Just a comment on the Bordelon F4U-5N. All the kit instructions and most references and paintings are wrong.

I'm building the Hasegawa kit and came across a couple of  colour  photos which show that radar pod was not black but roughly overpainted with the sea blue over the original off white of the pod, probably at the same time as the markings were oversprayed. Also the anti glare panel was definitely not black but matt sea blue as applied at the factory. Not sure how that myth was started but probably a side view artist misinterpreting a black and white photo.

Keep up the good work. Make  sure you keep  posting pictures.

Gentlemen see my post 2nd up from the bottom of page 1 hopefully this will help ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

17 hours ago, fernandocouto said:

Fantastic!

Oh you dog,It's very fun here!

6 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

好!
Really nice work @FlyingPigg I spoke with my buddy @fernandocouto about the modeling scene, here in China, and he pointed out your work!!! I am totally happy to see some great work!
Best regards from Shanghai,
Milos

Hi Milos,

Thanks for your kind words. I will continue to share previous work and also share some threads under building. I guess you haven't been to the model show in Shanghai. Maybe we can meet there.That is the best model show in China.

Yuebin

21 hours ago, gingerbob said:

@Dana Bell have you any information on that question?

19 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Sorry - no luck on that one.  All the mods were done in Philly.  I've tried the contract files, the BuAer Corsair files, and the BuAer radar files with no luck at all.  One day I hope to find the RG72 series that covers all the Naval Aircraft Factory modification reports - so much to do, so little time!

Cheers,

Dana

19 hours ago, noelh said:

As another Corsair fan I  like your collection a lot. Beautifully made.

As for the F4U 2 radar display. I believe from my research that it was situated right below the glareshield and in the  middle of the instrument panel about 15cm diameter. Never saw a photo though. So don't hold me to that statement.

Just a comment on the Bordelon F4U-5N. All the kit instructions and most references and paintings are wrong.

I'm building the Hasegawa kit and came across a couple of  colour  photos which show that radar pod was not black but roughly overpainted with the sea blue over the original off white of the pod, probably at the same time as the markings were oversprayed. Also the anti glare panel was definitely not black but matt sea blue as applied at the factory. Not sure how that myth was started but probably a side view artist misinterpreting a black and white photo.

Keep up the good work. Make  sure you keep  posting pictures.

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok this is what Ive got on a -2 radar display.

https://www.flightjournal.com/nocturnal-hunter/

From this page I have this. 

The cockpit radarscope, 6 inches around, was located in the center of the instrument panel with the gyro horizon, altimeter, directional gyro and needle ball all clustered around the scope. “The panel was arranged so that at all times you could scan your attitude and altitude indicators,” Lang said. “That was much needed when flying blind.”

From a webpage online a good while ago I found a single photo of a mockup instrument panel. The webpage may have been @Tailspin Turtle’s 

WKbXgVi.png

I hope this helps anyone, and I do hope if this is yours Tailspin you will forgive me for posting the photo ? 

Dennis

I want to say thank you so much, I first noticed BM because I was looking for a photo of Mitchell III. This really helped me and I hope someone working for aftermarket brands can take note of these discussions.

Cheers

Yuebin

20 hours ago, Autle said:

These are real beauties and completed to the highest standards. I especially like the first aircraft it looks amazing. Well done Yuebin.

Thanks,Autle,I've always been a big fan of USMC camouflage.

19 hours ago, Wulfman said:

A superb collection, great builds all !

Wulfman

Thank you,Wulfman

19 hours ago, Toryu said:

That's a very nice collection with some beautiful examples. I admire your persistence since the Corsair is a complex plane (model) with many 'hidden' traps for the modeller. Next one an F4U-4?

Thank you,Toryu,I like the -4, but there doesn't seem to be a great kit out there. 

19 hours ago, TonyW said:

Beautiful models and first class photography. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Tony.

Thank you,Tony

18 hours ago, mouse808 said:

What a great collection, fantastic looking.

Thank you,mouse808

18 hours ago, Luke1199 said:

Thats a very impressive collection you have! I like the kings blue, it definitely looks luxurious

Thank you,Luke.I now feel that I was thinking too much at that time, maybe the real midnight blue is the best looking.

17 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Top quality models Yeubin, as befits a professional modelmaker. 

Thank you,Bertie

16 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Nice, well done

Alain

Thank you,Alain

16 hours ago, Maginot said:

Consistently high-quality work. Is there a collective noun for so many different Corsair models? A crank of Corsair kits?  🤓

Thank you,Maginot,I think that's a good name.

16 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

My word!  You DO like Corsairs don't you!  Superb modelling there, well done!

Thank you,Alpha!

16 hours ago, Patton gunner said:

You got a wonderful collection of Corsairs--all are superbly built !

Thank you,gunner!

15 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

What a wonderful showcase for the Corsair and all its various marks and colour schemes. Hard to pick a favourite as they are all fabulous. I do like the early birdcage, the Jolly Rogers and the Korean night fighter in particular. Great work and thanks for sharing 👍

Thank you,binbrook87!

15 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Beautiful, beautiful work!

Thank you,John

14 hours ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

Those are all absolutely stunning!! 

Thank you,Pantherhawk27263

9 hours ago, David H said:

As Christopher Walken would say...

"Smart Piggy! Oink Oink!"

Seriously, very nice work. You and i could talk about building Corsairs for hours.

-d-

Hahathank you David,I think we could, I recently wanted to build a corsair again, a 1/72 scale midnight blue corsair

8 hours ago, RMCS said:

Outstanding work 

Thank you,sir!

3 hours ago, Tallyho said:

Fantastic modelling and collection of Corsairs! Well done Sir

Thank you,Tallyho

Thanks for your replies guys

Happy modelling

Yuebin

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok this is what Ive got on a -2 radar display.

https://www.flightjournal.com/nocturnal-hunter/

From this page I have this. 

The cockpit radarscope, 6 inches around, was located in the center of the instrument panel with the gyro horizon, altimeter, directional gyro and needle ball all clustered around the scope. “The panel was arranged so that at all times you could scan your attitude and altitude indicators,” Lang said. “That was much needed when flying blind.”

From a webpage online a good while ago I found a single photo of a mockup instrument panel. The webpage may have been @Tailspin Turtle’s 

WKbXgVi.png

I hope this helps anyone, and I do hope if this is yours Tailspin you will forgive me for posting the photo ? 

Dennis

I was sure there must be a photo so after searching a bit. I found  this in  quora:

https://www.quora.com/On-single-seat-fighters-like-the-F6F-Hellcat-and-F4U-Corsair-where-was-the-radar-located-in-the-cockpit-and-how-was-it-operated-by-the-pilot

Scroll  down a bit and there's a  picture. It's not clear if it's an F4U-2. But looks  about right.

Also above that photo is one of a Marine F4U-5N in overall GSB with a very obvious matt blue anti glare panel. Actually  that would make a great kit subject.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, noelh said:

I was sure there must be a photo so after searching a bit. I found  this in  quora:

https://www.quora.com/On-single-seat-fighters-like-the-F6F-Hellcat-and-F4U-Corsair-where-was-the-radar-located-in-the-cockpit-and-how-was-it-operated-by-the-pilot

Scroll  down a bit and there's a  picture. It's not clear if it's an F4U-2. But looks  about right.

Also above that photo is one of a Marine F4U-5N in overall GSB with a very obvious matt blue anti glare panel. Actually  that would make a great kit subject.

The photos are very clear and solved my doubts perfectly. It seems that Tamiya's dashboard really cannot be used directly for -2,thank you,noelh

Yuebin

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

WKbXgVi.png

Dennis

Not a problem but that post also provides other detail on the F4U-2 that might be of interest: https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2013/06/f4u-2-antennas-and-other-stuff.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Not a problem but that post also provides other detail on the F4U-2 that might be of interest: https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2013/06/f4u-2-antennas-and-other-stuff.html

Thanks I was pretty sure it was from that post but could not for the life of me find the link again. Thanks for posting it here so all can see it. 

Now I want a stash full of Corsairs to build! These are all superb jobs.  I love the weathering detail. Agree about the blue on the last one, but it's all good- first of all, it's your model, so finish it the way you want to. Second, it looks great no matter what, nothing to be ashamed of there.