Grumman Martlet Mk. IV; Airfix 1/72 - FINISHED

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great with the Matt on that really does tie it all together, love those walkways too.  Great work and all good experience. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'd pull them back a bit if I wasn't so lazy but I've reached a bit of  KUTA mentality, what with the new year and my wildly optimistic GB diary requiring me to complete stuff every few weeks!

23 hours ago, Dunny said:

Andy,

Coming along nicely! I'm currently researching a 1:48 version, and at least some FAA Martlets had the propeller 'cuffs' in aluminium (painted?). Might be worth a check for this subject?

Cheers,

Roger

Ahh that's a nice detail. Martlets are firmly in the 'like but don't love' category so my 'research' hasn't extended beyond the decal sheet and a the odd Google image search. I'll look into it though. One of your masterpieces on a 48th martlet is something to look forward to though. New eduard tool? If they release a Martlet boxing I'll be hard pressed to say no I must say.

17 hours ago, mark.au said:

I like it, and I like your approach just as much.  

Thanks Mark. It's a bit of a mule this one, fortunately it has got to the point that I've made a closeout list, which usually brings final bitter end up just a little faster. 😄

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nearly there now, that matte coat is NICE!

It's actually a bit too 'nails on a chalkboard' for me, I was aiming for a slight sheen if only to avoid the fuzzy '12 year old me sloshing on the neat humbrol' look. Actually I used a good 2/3 bottle of the stuff (gunze GX113), on an older model, each time infuriatingly making the subject glossier and glossier. Turns out I just didn't stir it first! The remainder is now a potent distillation of ULTRAMATTE that turns anything into a rusted old shipwreck at the merest glance. Looking forward to the next bottle to be honest but perhaps I should keep this one aside for a rainy day.

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

I have to agree with the above, the matte coat looks fantastic!  Personally, I think this has turned out to be a terrific looking build, but I think everyone is their own worst critic! ;)

Hehe thanks. This one stated off as  light relief, to be competed quickly with the simplest nastiest paint job, hopefully to look vaguely serviceable at the back of the shelf. That last part has remained, but the circuitous path to it is a tad beyond brief! Ah well, I've been  having fun!

Cheers for comments all. Actually don't feel this one is that far away from being finally put out of its misery thankfully. 😅

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

One of your masterpieces on a 48th martlet is something to look forward to though.

Andy,

You flatter me - thanks for the kind words! It is the Eduard new tool, which looks exceptional. I'm thinking about a desert scheme, which should be fun...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This poor little fella has been basically done for a while, but I made so many mistakes that I kinda fell out of love with it sadly. As predicted, the bottom windows popped out the very millisecond I looked at them, so the model now has a pleasant rattle. It sat waiting for when I had some oily black in the airbrush, which when it finally arrived was dutifully sprayed with a hilarious banana curve to one side.🤣

The matte was a bit heavy for me as well, and then in sticking the wings on, I lost both retaining struts and the pitot to the carpet monster within several seconds (who incidentally still thrives despite lacking carpet to live in). I couldn't square the length of the strut with the carefully displayed wing fold angle and just stuck them on anyway  before realising too late that I had a degree of freedom in allowing the tips to splay out from the fuselage a little. Oh well! I guess it's CA so possibly I can pry them off and do it again..

A bit more modelling gumption wouldn't have gone amiss either, as if you're going to pose it folded, you'd better do a good job on the upper wings (as I discovered when trying to find >any< angle to photo that wasnt just wing) and not waste all your time on the walkways and wing undersides. Which is of course the polar opposite to how this one progressed😅🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway, I had fun, tried out a lot of new stuff with varying degrees of success, and am happy in the knowledge that there being so many good kits of the F4F nowadays, (and another airfix one in the stash that I'd picked up before finding the older Martlet boxing) that I have a good excuse to make another one! It still looks fine on the shelf.

Anyway, in the spirit of end-of-year KUTA, here's the final model. Thanks little mule, sorry you got so mangled, I'll spare you the RFI.:bye:

Thanks everyone for following along. The help and cheery comments have been greatly appreciated!

20221216_162949

20221216_163031

20221216_162813 20221216_162628 20221216_162541

20221216_162757

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 12

Looks fine to me (I rather like the Martlet).  I think we are all guilty of being critical of our own work so you need to balance you view.

My 1/48 MkIV is hacked together from a Tamiya F4F-4 and I can tell you that it looks really rough..  Especially under close up photos..

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

From this angle she's a thing of beauty!

Objective Quack.

9 hours ago, opus999 said:

I still like it!

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

All I see is a nicely made, well painted and finished 1/48 scale Marlet.

…that’s actually 72nd scale.

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks damp fine to me too.  The last photo shows the walkways look fantastic and the weathering on the wings looks great, you are being too hard on yourself Andy.

Great work 

Chris

Ach you're all very kind. I must admit that I have a tendency for bitter aftertastes to form after bad modelling sessions, and was actually pleasantly surprised when taking it out to take a few photos that it wasn't quite as bad as the mental picture I'd retained. A lot of that weathering was entirely accidental of course! But's been nice for the contrast, building something that I'm actively trying to beat up, in parallel with a couple of builds that I'm trying to make 'as new'. Thanks very much though for the kind comments. Being Airfix, 72nd, British/commonweath and a few years ago, there are a plethora of really stunning renditions of this kit on the boards (shout out to @bigbadbadge's one which got me into this in the first place!) as well, so it's as much that fact that there's no great need for another one!

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Looks fine to me (I rather like the Martlet).  I think we are all guilty of being critical of our own work so you need to balance you view.

My 1/48 MkIV is hacked together from a Tamiya F4F-4 and I can tell you that it looks really rough..  Especially under close up photos..

Thanks I love your version. Photos of this particular aircraft (from the Xtradecals scheme) are as a writeoff, but others in the squadron all look very well cleaned and maintained. For that reason, (since I wanted to smash it up a bit more than was real) I had your (dirtier) Hellcat in particular up all the time as inspiration, I really like how you mimiced the beaten up effect. I had at the walkways with brown oil on sponge actually, which the strong matte gripped in a slightly more permanent fashion than I was comfortable with. But thanks so much for the guidance and inspiration. The weathering you're able to achieve is really something else.

55 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That looks to be a well executed and finished Martlet from this part of the world.

One to be proud of.

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers Alistair, I probably go overboard with the histrionics in forum posts. For myself, I'm very happy with the little thing as it sits on the wall, there are just a lot of silly errors when viewed through the camera lens. Thanks very much for your kind words!

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Ngantek changed the title to Grumman Martlet Mk. IV; Airfix 1/72 - FINISHED
3 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

I must admit that I have a tendency for bitter aftertastes

3 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

I probably go overboard with the histrionics in forum posts

Our major problem. We are always our harshest critics and have the ability to hold on to stuff that doesn't go quite the way we want it.

This always colours my own view of my finished builds.

6 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

A lot of that weathering was entirely accidental

That is usually the best kind, where it surprises you and looks good.

5 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

shout out to @bigbadbadge's one which got me into this in the first place!

He really is a bad influence isn't he.:wicked:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Our major problem. We are always our harshest critics and have the ability to hold on to stuff that doesn't go quite the way we want it.

This always colours my own view of my finished builds.

Yep true. To be honest I haven't found that I really dwell on the 'major catastrophes' once the model is onto the shelf. I guess is shows how out of perspective these things are when you're building them!

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

He really is a bad influence isn't he.:wicked:

Yes... a terrible influence. Always making beautiful models and shamelessly posting pictures all over the place for those of us with poor impulse control to gawp at... :whistle:

20221217_135149

😆

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Great, you completed the set for the year. It doesn't look too bad to me. Jolly fine in fact. 

What's next then?

Thanks for stopping by Bertie, yep in a bit of a 'clean house for 2023 GBpocalypse' frenzy right now. Thanks for your kind comments!

Next... erm.. trying to get a breather before my entirely unrealistic kit-every-2-weeks GB plan, maybe RS's Ki-87 as a bit of a mule to practice metal finishes. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1