1/48 F-15E, 494th Fighter Squadron, 'Inherent Resolve', 2018. Finished 14/10.

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB (another may follow, I'll see how I get on :lol:) - Great Wall Hobby's 1/48 F-15E, which will be marked as 00-3003 of the 494th Fighter Squadron 'Panthers' during their Operation 'Inherent Resolve' deployment in 2018.

Kit:

52225241169_a37ed73f12_b.jpg

52225452535_4c9328fec7_b.jpg

Lots of plastic in there!

Extras:

52225241654_7d63223333_b.jpg

I'll be using a Quinta cockpit set, BAM update set, Pavla seats, Caracal decals, KA models exhausts, resin FOD inserts and a New Ware mask set. One thing I find odd is that GWH do not provide you with a centre line pylon, but luckily @redcap sorted me out a while ago with a spare and some GBU-38s. I've studied quite a few images of F-15E OIR deployments and have decided to load this one with 2x AIM-120, 1x AIM-9x, 1x AIM-9M, 6x GBU-38 and 4x GBU-39 Small Diameter bombs along with 2x fuel tanks.

Scheme:

52225452080_c88207d9db_b.jpg

Real thing post deployment:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9203130

Essential reference:

52224984178_8b8e5f2e85_b.jpg

Some good shots of a 494th jet:

The 492nd make a better video though :lol:

Cheers 

Dave

• Like 8

Looks great - was tempted by the GWH kit but have an Academy on the shelf so couldn't really justify it!....But I may still!

I build '00-3003' for the last STGB but as per 2006...those Caracal decals are hard to get now!

xZvkjot.jpg

Will watch along.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Hey Dave

21 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Unbelievable Dave...you're all over the place 😂😂

I agree. You‘re a machine. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Got your build here locked on my radar 😎

On 7/20/2022 at 1:08 PM, Sam said:

Hey Dave

I agree. You‘re a machine. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Got your build here locked on my radar 😎

Thanks Sam!

Was doing a little more research and found the below image from the 494th's 2021 deployment:

1000w_q95.jpg

3x GBU-38 on the port CFT, 4x SDB on the centre and 1x GBU-31 on the starboard CFT. Think I'll go for that as a load out!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

3x GBU-38 on the port CFT, 4x SDB on the centre and 1x GBU-31 on the starboard CFT. Think I'll go for that as a load out!

Great choice, you can't beat an asymmetric loadout on an Eagle.

Mike

On 7/21/2022 at 7:58 PM, FortyEighter said:

Great choice, you can't beat an asymmetric loadout on an Eagle.

Mike

I hadn't seen much of the GBU-31/38/39 combo so I'm sold!

On 7/21/2022 at 11:46 PM, trickyrich said:

look at all that lovely AM!!!!!  🥰

I knew you would approve :lol:

26 minutes ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

No, not at all. I just felt tempted to drop that remark, given that the GWH kit is a rather expensive one.

I have 5 that I got for less than £70 each so I'm happy to add a few bits and pieces to the kit.

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 F-15E, 494th Fighter Squadron, 'Inherent Resolve', 2018. Update 18/08.

Made a brief start on this, just to remind myself that I need to get a move on! All the ordnance was built up:

52294575773_cd92d38cc9_b.jpg

The GBU-31 is from a Tamiya F-14, the GBU-38s and AIM-120s are from an Academy F-15, the AIM-9M is from a Tamiya F-16 and the -9x is from Hasegawa Weapons set E. The GBU-39s from the kit are nicely detailed and fit well; the same can't be said for the pods and fuel tanks which are a bit 'meh'. A seam line to sort on the fuel tanks of course 😠. Bane of my (modelling) life!!

Not much but at least it's off the line. Will try and get a little more done alongside the F-5 that is on the bench.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 6

On 7/28/2022 at 11:57 PM, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Lucky you, I got just 1 for about £87 plus shipping. Bought mine at the wrong time...

£87 for an 1/48 kit, that's nothing. I have spent £60 for a set of decals' sheet!

Irrespective of the price range - which by the way, shouldn't be so high but, that's another story - and the fact that I like the GWH kit, I still prefer my Hasegawa and Revell Eagles. Nice kits, overall accurate and with adequate ordnance. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

£87 for an 1/48 kit, that's nothing. I have spent £60 for a set of decals' sheet!

Irrespective of the price range - which by the way, shouldn't be so high but, that's another story - and the fact that I like the GWH kit, I still prefer my Hasegawa and Revell Eagles. Nice kits, overall accurate and with adequate ordnance. 

The Revell Strike Eagles are very nice indeed, built a few over the years. They just need a bit of work to bring them up to modern spec. I hope the GWH kit builds well, the details are very nice from what I've seen so far.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Not to be obnoxious but was it printed using gold leaf ? 

No worries mate!

It was this sheet: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fightertown-decals-48051-desert-bogeys-f-18a-b-f-5e-f-vfc-13-vfa-127--239876

It was an American seller on eBay. I paid the dude, and then he played the French "je ne sais quoi" and didn't reply to my emails, so I asked eBay to refund me, which they did.

After a couple of weeks and while discussing the specific sheet with a fellow scale modeller from arc forums, he told me he got the sheet and that he could give it to me free of charge!!!!! He only kept the decals for the Mig-28, which I didn't want anyway!

Talking about being lucky!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveJL said:

That was quite an expensive decal sheet!

Yeap! But eventually I got it for free Dave. Now, I'm in the process of building the two-seat Legacy Hornet from VFC-13. Not an easy task because the more you research a subject and particularly the FS colours, the more you get confused.

I used to follow a method called "triangulation" to confirm for instance an information or detail, but now due to lack of free time I tend to build kits without any prior research.

Edited by Shalako