Posting pics of models bearing Swastikas

Ηello,

I recently joined this great group of builders annd, although I don't know if this is the right place to ask, I have the following question: Is there a rule or guidance not to show the german emblem of "Swastiga"?

I remember when I got my first kit at the age of 9, but when I restarted when I was 30, after 20 years if "silence" that emblem was included in the decals.

Now it is not, and in posts I have seen it "wioed out"

Could anyone tell me why?

Thanks in advance.

Be Well!

Igkor

1 minute ago, IGKOR said:

Ηello,

I recently joined this great group of builders annd, although I don't know if this is the right place to ask, I have the following question: Is there a rule or guidance not to show the german emblem of "Swastiga"?

I remember when I got my first kit at the age of 9, but when I restarted when I was 30, after 20 years if "silence" that emblem was included in the decals.

Thanks in advance.

Be Well!

Igkor

Sorry for mispelling, I got older, my fingers are fatter and my eyes are weaker than the old good days! 🤓

27 minutes ago, IGKOR said:

I have the following question: Is there a rule or guidance not to show the german emblem of "Swastiga"?

On here, no, you can display models with a swastika if the real thing had that  marking, or a 'what if' with a suitable back story.   

Also, not a problem if you do not wish to use a swastika on your model. 

As to why it is and isn't shown,  in most of Europe it's not allowed to be shown in public,   and it can get post pulled on Facebook for example, so you find some people will blank them out.

There are exceptions,  historical photos and artefacts, museums.   It depends on where, and what context.

Example, the Finnish used a pale blue swastika for the aircraft marking until 1944, as this was the family crest of the Swedish Von Rosen family who helped fund the newly independent Finnish state air force.  The interwar Latvian airforce used a used Swastika, the fire cross.

This causes problems, as it is taken to be a purely nazi symbol,  where it is a very ancient symbol, used by many cultures, that was  co-opted by the Nazi regime.

Co-incidentally I have a couple of UK made Revell models from the mid 60's, one just has no swastika, the other replaces it with a cross and a note on the instructions about it being against the spirit of democracy. 

Not  quite sure if this is quite where to ask this,  @Mike may wish to move this elsewhere.  

HTH

• Thanks 1

Troy has pretty much summed it up.  It's historically correct, so we're not going to ban it.  If your conscience dictates you don't show it on your models, or you want to blur it out in your photos, then that's perfectly OK by us, especially if you live in one of those territories where it's banned.  We hate the Nazi ideology as much as most right-thinking people, but if you forget the past, you're condemned to repeat it.  Not keen on that idea :owww:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

For modelers,realism is usually the goal not to glorify the ideology.

Absolutely.  With just a hint of artistry if we're lucky ;)

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

On here, no, you can display models with a swastika if the real thing had that  marking, or a 'what if' with a suitable back story.   

Also, not a problem if you do not wish to use a swastika on your model. 

As to why it is and isn't shown,  in most of Europe it's not allowed to be shown in public,   and it can get post pulled on Facebook for example, so you find some people will blank them out.

There are exceptions,  historical photos and artefacts, museums.   It depends on where, and what context.

Example, the Finnish used a pale blue swastika for the aircraft marking until 1944, as this was the family crest of the Swedish Von Rosen family who helped fund the newly independent Finnish state air force.  The interwar Latvian airforce used a used Swastika, the fire cross.

This causes problems, as it is taken to be a purely nazi symbol,  where it is a very ancient symbol, used by many cultures, that was  co-opted by the Nazi regime.

Co-incidentally I have a couple of UK made Revell models from the mid 60's, one just has no swastika, the other replaces it with a cross and a note on the instructions about it being against the spirit of democracy. 

Not  quite sure if this is quite where to ask this,  @Mike may wish to move this elsewhere.  

HTH

Τhank you Troy!

Really helpful.

Be Well

Igkor

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Troy has pretty much summed it up.  It's historically correct, so we're not going to ban it.  If your conscience dictates you don't show it on your models, or you want to blur it out in your photos, then that's perfectly OK by us, especially if you live in one of those territories where it's banned.  We hate the Nazi ideology as much as most right-thinking people, but if you forget the past, you're condemned to repeat it.  Not keen on that idea :owww:

I totally agree with u Mike, regarding forgeting the past leads us to the same, or even worse, mistakes.

On tge other hand I also understand that some people might be trulky offended, so I guess I have to respect that also.

In my oppinion symbols are not the issue, its our way of thinking.

But as said..."Let it be, let it be....there will be an answer, let it be".

Thanks!

Be well

Igkor

• Like 1