F-5E Força Aérea Brasileira

81-er

I hadn’t planned on joining this GB, but a cheap kit came my way. I’m using the Swiss Air Force boxing of the Italeri 1/72 kit along with some FCM decals to build a model serving with the Força Aérea Brasileira. I’ve also got the Eduard cockpit PE set (because it was dirt cheap), though I’m not sure if I’ll actually use much of it. So, this is what I’ve got:

mCQdKnE.jpg

This is the scheme I’ve chosen, a four-colour blue & grey camouflage:

m6ti2Kt.jpg

Sprues to prove it’s unstarted:

yNEZNwY.jpg

And finally, some AK Real Colour paints in the appropriate shades. This will be my first time using Real Colour paints:

vq5ctTe.jpg

Expect a start at some point either after I’ve cleared the decks of the current projects, or when I get impatient.

James

• Like 14

Thanks chaps.

The kit schemes looked a bit bland, so I went hunting for something more interesting. I liked the look of this scheme, and it'll tie in nicely with the Meteor I'll be building later this year in that GB, which is also going to be a Brazilian machine with FCM decals, albeit in 1/48.

James

• Like 2

Something to note if you're a real stickler for accuracy: the later boxings of Italeri's F-5E like yours have the extended LERX and 'chisel' nose featured on upgraded airframes. I'm not sure Brazil's Tigers had these features until the refit that also updated their camouflage to a wraparound gray/green scheme (which doesn't seem to be included on your sheet).  Backdating the LERX would be simple, the nose might take some putty work to round out but "no hill for a stepper."

Detailed article on Brazil's F-5 fleet here: https://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/AirForces/BrazilAF.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the GB James, great to see a Brazilian aircraft in the mix.

The points made above are correct so it just depends on if you want to alter your kit or scheme if you are bothered by them, nobody will complain whichever way you decide to go, certainly not me.

I am looking forward to your build mate.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Something to note if you're a real stickler for accuracy: the later boxings of Italeri's F-5E like yours have the extended LERX and 'chisel' nose featured on upgraded airframes. I'm not sure Brazil's Tigers had these features until the refit that also updated their camouflage to a wraparound gray/green scheme (which doesn't seem to be included on your sheet).  Backdating the LERX would be simple, the nose might take some putty work to round out but "no hill for a stepper."

Detailed article on Brazil's F-5 fleet here: https://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/AirForces/BrazilAF.html

I had already clocked the nose was a different shape, but I'm not intending this one to be a slavishly accurate build, so I can live with it being different. I'll have a look at the LERX though, I hadn't noticed that was different until you mentioned it, but it doesn't look like it'll be too bad to sort. Thanks for the link on the Brazilian F-5's too.

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome to the GB James, great to see a Brazilian aircraft in the mix.

The points made above are correct so it just depends on if you want to alter your kit or scheme if you are bothered by them, nobody will complain whichever way you decide to go, certainly not me.

I am looking forward to your build mate.

🇺🇦

It's nice to be hear Craig, even if unexpected! I'm hoping this one will be a fairly quick build, as the Sabre has been proving to be as well. ETA on the building jig is tomorrow, so hopefully I can get the Do 217 straightened out soon as well :)

James

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been plugging away on bits of this in the background, so I guess I should update on progress.

As a few others have noticed, there’s an awkward seam to deal with in the seat backrest, which I got around by cutting a rectangle of plasticard to fit over the seam. I then got the seat and the cockpit painted up (far from my best work on the details, but so little of it will be visible under the canopy it’ll do):

rDEb2mg.jpg

Vnte89u.jpg

The cockpit then found its way into its final resting place:

Rf2ZJur.jpg

I then dealt with the nose weight by using a combination of a wheel balancing weight (which only just fits) and some Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity, which was secured in layers by a very liberal application of thin superglue:

Q4aomIl.jpg

I should be getting the fuselage buttoned up soon. I’ll be following @Courageous's lead and sanding off the raised panel lines as well.

James

• Like 7

Hmmm, nose weight, eh?  No mention of this in my kit's instructions, and jets aren't my area of experience....  Unlike your build, James, mine might be a tail-sitter unless I can get some lead shot in there somehow.  Cracking progress - the detail on the controls looks great.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. The instructions called for 10g, but I wasn't taking any chances.

39 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Hmmm, nose weight, eh?  No mention of this in my kit's instructions, and jets aren't my area of experience....  Unlike your build, James, mine might be a tail-sitter unless I can get some lead shot in there somehow.  Cracking progress - the detail on the controls looks great.

Good luck with getting some weight in there, Jack. Otherwise you could try a bit of clear sprue under the back end to prop it.

James

On 18/08/2022 at 18:36, 81-er said:

far from my best work on the details, but so little of it will be visible under the canopy it’ll do

Looks pretty decent to me! I must say I’m impressed with the kit’s level of detail for the instrument and side panels. I picked up the Eduard etch set too but it seems a shame, and probably unnecessary, given your result to scrape of the detailing to use the etch.

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.

The first big bit of progress is that like some of the other builders of this kit, I’ve decided to sand off the raised panel lines. I’ll not be reinstating them either. Fuselage halves have been joined, and the intake scoops added. Like many others, mine needed “some” filler to blend seamlessly:

m2XDIAO.jpg

DRmX2hJ.jpg

Ipjt1Gl.jpg

It did sand back pretty well though:

tKIA8Ac.jpg

533RZCs.jpg

As I’m working from home today, I “accidentally” sat down 3ft further to the right earlier and got the canopy on:

WtJnEm5.jpg

Next step will be some interior colour on the canopy, then primer for the whole model. Holes have been drilled previously to relace the kit guns & pitot with some brass tube too.

James

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Oops :lol:

I know, it was a terrible tradgedy 🤣

49 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work James, you may have needed filler (what kit doesn't) but you have tidied the joints up very well indeed.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig 👍 While the detail is basic, the general fit of the kit as a whole isn't bad. Those intakes however, are b****y awful! Interior grey wafted over the canopy with the excess in the airbrush sprayed over the intakes to check the filler work. I'll be hitting the filler again when the paint's dried

James

• Like 2