1/43 Ecosse C285, Le Mans test weekend 1986

This is my recently completed model of the Ecosse C285 which appeared at the Le Mans test weekend in 1986.  It is the Automany resin kit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The castings were a bit rough in some places, and perilously thin in others.  I had to rebuild the upper parts of the doors and cut replacement windows from 10thou clear sheet.  The air intakes above the cockpit were not cast into the body, so I made some from plastic card, and inserted them into the roof.

spacer.png

The original plan was to build it as the number 79, Rover 4V V6 powered, C286 sister car that raced at Le Mans.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, the decals for the stripes were quite thick and did not want to conform to the shape of the body.  Application of Micro Set resulted in the decals curling up into balls, so the model was consigned to the shelf of doom for a short while. 

I later came across images of the Ford powered number 78 car at the test weekend.  The kit decal sheet had the correct red numbers, so that's what I ended up with.  Not as colourful, but at least I was able to finish the model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another Le Mans contender added to the collection.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 16

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Yes, the C2 class cars are less well known, but I was quite taken by the Ecosse in particular.

Trevor

15 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

That's a lovely little model of another lesser known contender. Very nice.

And Automany, another of these resin makers from days gone, good memories 👍

Thanks very much.  I have a couple more Automany kits to build, Aston Martin Nimrods, but I am concerned about what the decals for those may be like.

Trevor

8 hours ago, JohnE said:

Well done! A superb result after your decal disaster.

Thanks very much.  I was very pleased that I managed to salvage something from the disaster of the decals.

Trevor

1 hour ago, Kitkent said:

And in the correct scale Trevor! Not seen this colour scheme before, a nice looking model there,a one off actually. Have you got the Postman Pat Ecosse in your stash!? Chris.

Yes, I do.  It's a ReStart version of the Automany kit.  Still got the Automany decals though.  However, not so many compound curves to contend with.  I plan to do a few modifications so that it looks like the sprint version that raced at Brands Hatch in 1987, a race which I attended.

Trevor

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Another little gem Trevor, I think it looks really good in its plain test livery - nice job!

Keith

Thanks Keith.  The Le Mans test weekends have always been a source of unusual configurations/colour schemes.  

Trevor

21 minutes ago, Paul D said:

Nice save Trevor. I always like to see what you've corrected on kits - you make it look easy!

Paul

Thank you very much for your kind words.  I only do corrections if they are obvious errors.  I do, sometimes, build them straight from the box (but not that often!).

Trevor