Tim's F-15E Strike Eagle - COMPLETED

Photos of my previous Eagles are in the Inspiration Gallery, but whilst waiting here are any previous GB links resulting in those models.

Airfix F-15A

Academy F-15C

Academy F-15I Ra'am

Hasegawa F-15A

Previous Eagles preceeded GBs.

This Hasegawa kit differs from my previous kits in front fuselage side half pieces, rather than top and bottom pieces, and engraved detail.

• Like 3

I've just removed the parts from their bags - and I'm impressed!

03-Out-Of-Bags.jpg

Engraved detail, very little flash, intake ramps - deffo a step up from Hasegawa's previous Eagle.

I've assembled the cockpit tub, this version has the digital instrument display - different parts for the previous version.

Hopefully the fit will match my expectations.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dansk said:

isn't the gb start date 27th july?

21 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Oops.  Too used to GBs starting at weekends.

Just now, theplasticsurgeon said:

I'll hang-fire until at least the weekend, as a time penalty for my start line infringement.

How does that sound?

Yes even I forgot that and Im the blooming host ! At least no ones in the official gallery yet which is a plus. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Interesting. Those CFTs look a lot different in my kit. And they fit a lot better. I'm beginning to wonder if Hasegawa did two seperate toolings of the F-15E?

Two F-15 tools is confirmed.  I built this previous tool, during the Gulf war, which has a lot of commonality with my previous Hasegawa Eagles.

Hasegawa-F15-Eagle-Lizard.jpg

Differences that I've noticed are: left-right front fuselage split, rather than top-bottom of the previous tool.  Intake ramps and detailed jetpipes on this tool.

Your F-15 is the same more modern tool as mine, but your CFTs do look different.

• Like 4

On 8/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Two F-15 tools is confirmed.  I built this previous tool, during the Gulf war, which has a lot of commonality with my previous Hasegawa Eagles.

Hasegawa-F15-Eagle-Lizard.jpg

Differences that I've noticed are: left-right front fuselage split, rather than top-bottom of the previous tool.  Intake ramps and detailed jetpipes on this tool.

Your F-15 is the same more modern tool as mine, but your CFTs do look different.

Technically there are (at least) 2.5 toolings of Hasegawa Strike Eagle in 1:72: the early version (c. 1984), based on the original raised panel line tooling and representing the demonstrator 71-291; the initial "new tooling" with recessed panel lines and enhanced details but still not 100% accurate for a Strike Eagle (basically an F-15B/D with CFTs actually borrowed from the initial Strike boxing); and "version 2.5" (circa 2012) which is an update to the new tool kit, adding corrected CFTs, LANTIRN pods, and other details which made for the first (mostly) accurate F-15E out of the box, a few years before Academy and GWH released all-new toolings that reflected the Strike variant's unique features.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting choice for tailpipe holders, would they be crossbow bolts or arrows ? 

Shortened arrows.  Deffo NOT crossbow bolts.

Crossbow is a dirty word at the archery clubs I visited and had membership of.

1,  Historic:  All those clubs had a longbow fraternity, and English longbows defeated French crossbows from Hastings to Agincourt - they're all precious of that history and reputation.  Think more King Harold that William Tell.

2,  Practical:  Crossbow is more accurate and powerful that the compound class of bow and shooting a thicker projectile.  Bosses for compounds had to be double thickness in the centre - to avoid arrows going right through.  An even bigger problem with more localised wear if crossbows were allowed.   

All that wear on the target reduces it's life.  Typically managed by one compound bow only per boss at a tournament.  More than that and your new unused boss could have a very worn out centre by the end of a tournament.  Certainty if you let crossbows in.

3,  Legal:  There's no category for crossbow in ArcheryGB, to which most clubs are affiliated. Thus no definition of safety margins, for training or competition.

Resulting from previous points, there's no real expertise in crossbow as any foundation for training.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Technically there are (at least) 2.5 toolings of Hasegawa Strike Eagle in 1:72: the early version (c. 1984), based on the original raised panel line tooling and representing the demonstrator 71-291; the initial "new tooling" with recessed panel lines and enhanced details but still not 100% accurate for a Strike Eagle (basically an F-15B/D with CFTs actually borrowed from the initial Strike boxing); and "version 2.5" (circa 2012) which is an update to the new tool kit, adding corrected CFTs, LANTIRN pods, and other details which made for the first (mostly) accurate F-15E out of the box, a few years before Academy and GWH released all-new toolings that reflected the Strike variant's unique features.

You said it a lot better than I was able to. The 2012 update is the kit I have and seeing the difference between mine and what Tim has here, is want surprised me. I didn't know there was this intermediate version

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

You said it a lot better than I was able to. The 2012 update is the kit I have and seeing the difference between mine and what Tim has here, is want surprised me. I didn't know there was this intermediate version

Interesting. 

I built what was either the first or maybe second boxing of the original Hasegawa F-15A back in the late 1970's having previously built the Revell version in around 1975(if not earlier in spite of what Scalemates say), and subsequently replaced it with the F-15C released in about 1982. That I think was a reworking of the F-15 two seater issued in about 1980 and still had the old style early exhaust cans with a full set of "feathers", and I think that the original F-15E of 1984 was essentially the same two seater with a few extras such as the CFT, Rockeyes and maybe targeting/navigation pods. This was modified again in 1988 into the boxing both Tim and I have with the later style of "cans" and continued in production with different boxes and decs until about 10 years ago when more "new parts" were added, as they were again a couple of years later. It seems that the revisions on the latter two were mostly modifications to the CFT, pylons and pods though I may be wrong, and the latest one also added a stand I believe. Hasegawa have certainly issued an awful lot of versions of the F-15 and got their money back on the moulds!

Incidentally, does anybody know if the Rockeyes were OD or white - my book on US armaments in the first Gulf war says white though I had got it into my head that was primarily the colour used on USN aircraft, not USAF?

Sorry for the intrusion Tim - back to you!

Pete

Edited by PeterB