F-15C/J Dead not to be resurrected.

Hello everyone … My build will be using the 1/72 Hasegawa F-15J. At this time Ive discovered my preferred choice of markings are incorrect, seems they're all for two seaters.

OuTJ7Ge.jpg

So this leaves me some choices to make, either cheat and use the decals to make the green one. ⬆️ Or use the decals to do this F-15J. 

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/793300/92-8908-japan-air-self-defence-force-mitsubishi-f-15j/

If not I will fall back and do a Montana ANG airplane. My sprue shots and decal options as required. XdfGx2t.jpg

ExE1xCV.jpg

nwH21OJ.jpg

naHe5n3.jpg

0AdRzM3.jpg

0rsqHbO.jpg

9k9uGpm.jpg

Alaska would be a distant 3rd. IcqX8Ik.jpg

3Qp6u0c.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

I'm pretty certain that most, maybe all of the JASDF aggressor schemes maintained the same basic squadron markings and stencils (with the latter masked out and the original ghost gray scheme visible surrounding each stencil).  So unless your DXM sheet includes the camo colors integral with the decals, I think by mixing and matching some serials you should have what you need for any scheme you can find for a single-seater.

• Like 1

Dito what @CT7567 said: I used the exact same DXM sheet (plus parts from Hasegawa’s JASDF Eagle sheet) to backdate my F-15DJ to an early 2000’s aggressor:

Be prepared for a lot of very small decals with the DXM sheet; I believe even various fuselage panel numbers are on the sheet!

Best of luck with your choice and build!!

Regards,

Patrick

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone … I must sadly call this build dead. My hatred for Hasegawa has struck again. I started work on this tonight and was able to get the first several steps completed. However nothing lined up and as usual Hasegawa’s love for making there kits over fiddely has made me hate them even more. I was getting to the point where nothing staying glued ? Neither old fashioned tube glue or even Cyano seemed to work ? Both glues did melt the plastic and yet it still wouldn't join it. It came time to mount the forward half with the rest of the fuselage. After twenty minutes of holding it with as much force as I could muster and It just slipped off. The glue actually would not make a dent in the plastic and it was slippery like oil. So I have consigned this kit to the great bin of hades. I will still enjoy watching everyone else's builds but cannot build anything as I wont have any budget until December. 

Dennis

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

This is a shame Dennis, but for sure the 1/72 Hasegawa F-15 is not a great kit. Maybe try an Academy or something else to use those nice decals you have. 

Thanks When I have the budget and Im in a bit better frame of mind I will attack an Eagle kit. Im done with Hasegawa jets to be honest. They're so over designed and over-fiddely  that they just arent worth it anymore. This is now the fourth one on my 💩list. Top of the list is their Harrier, followed by their Hornets, Eagles and Phantom's. The only WW2 kit Ive had issues with is their 1/48 P-51D and I wont ever build another one of those again either. Nothing in the darn kit lined up evenly which caused it to be a filler monster. Not good for a plane thats supposed to be NMF

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Dennis,

Over the years I have built both the Hasegawa A and C and I agree the fit can be "challenging" but I don't remember having trouble with the gluing - perhaps yours is a rogue batch of plastic. Hopefully I will not have the same problem with my E if and when I get round to building it! I did however have a similar problem with a T-59 tank  by Ace so it seems some types of plastic can be problematic.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Dennis,

Over the years I have built both the Hasegawa A and C and I agree the fit can be "challenging" but I don't remember having trouble with the gluing - perhaps yours is a rogue batch of plastic. Hopefully I will not have the same problem with my E if and when I get round to building it! I did however have a similar problem with a T-59 tank  by Ace so it seems some types of plastic can be problematic.

Pete

Thank you Pete, I truly hope you don't as Im quite frustrated. Ive had the kit in the stash since the group build got approved. I was really looking forward to my first F-15 since 1988. The glues definitely worked as the plastic melted but for some odd reason just would not weld together ? Maybe I should have tried Tamiya extra thin first but that always leaves a fragile weld. Sadly that has popped on me more times than I can count. Then I thought Id go old school as this was a butt joint so used old fashioned Testor’s tube cement. It looked like it was working but I went horizontal with the fuselage to check. Thats when the forward half just flopped off.
    So i scraped sanded and washed that glue off and went to Cyano thinking that should work. After 20 minutes of smashing the two halves together with all my strength. Same results the forward half slid off just as if it were bathed in oil. So I called it quits and junked it, as it was the last if many frustrations that kit caused. I still have all the parts and can use them on my next F-15 which will likely be an Academy as I wont ever be able to afford a Great Wall kit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Assuming the "Entropy GB" gets through the bunfight I may build the T-59 for that as it does not matter if it is a bit "messy" perhaps. Unfortunately I doubt that would be an option in your case. Even if I could afford a GWH kit I would not buy one as any imperfection would be most annoying at that price!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1