Su-27K vs. Su-33 Sea Flanker

dov

Hallo 

Can anyone tell me the difference or distinction between the two versions? Or types. 

Is it not actually a renaming process only?

The Minibase kits in detail. 

Where is the difference in airframe or wings? Or cockpit or engine?

Let me know. 

For a fuller explanation......

At first ALL Flankers were 'Su-27' - followed by a role suffix... so you had.......

Su-27 - Single seat fighter

Su-27UB - 'Uchebno Boyevoy / Combat Trainer'

Su-27K - 'Korabl / Shipborne'

Su-27IB - 'Istrebitel Bombardirovchik / Fighter Bomber'

Su-27KUB - 'Korabl Uchebno Boyevoy / Shipborne Combat Trainer'

Theses were the designations given by the Soviet Air Force (VVS) / Navy (AVMF).

But Sukhoi wanted to use different designations in their PR brochures - to better highlight the drastically changed roles... and they had the political clout at the time..

So they started by changing Su-27K to Su-33, Su27IB to Su-34 and Su-27KUB to Su-33UB.

There are other examples - but the above were the main ones.

So Su-27K and Su-33 are one and the same aircraft.

Ken

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dov said:

To resume: the Minibase kits for Su-33 and Su-27K are the same.

Just the weapons in resin.

Minibase kit #1 and #2 are the same?

Happy modelling 

Yes, 8001 and 8002 have the same plastic parts for the actual aircraft kit, however 8002 has the additional Kh-41 Moskit and different decal options. The instructions have been reprinted but are still as vague as the original in some places.

Duncan B 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Modelling News has just done a description and some photos of different styles of stuff in the box, I was drawn to it as it was calling the boxing with the Kh-41 Moskit a Su-27K , just saying, check out their in box review.      😉

While the planes are the same, the kits are different in that the later Su-27K boxing appeqrently has some reworked parts and details added. I saw a comparison review on YouTube by a modeller from Asia, he listed the differences quite well. So it is probably best to buy the 27K kit and use aftermarket Su-33 decals for best results.

• 2 months later...

Su-27K is pre-production batch, Su-33 is serial production.

There are few differences. Front instrument panel (MINIBASE kit has both) and side panels are little different as well (here I am not sure if MINIBASE has both).

Another difference is tail boom scribing, again, MINIBASE kits contains both (shape looks the same, just different panel lines)

So, if somebody has Su-27K kit and wants to build Su-33 with an aftermarket decals, he or she should use respective dashboard and tailboom.

Reference for both can be found in Yefim Gordon excellent book (https://www.amazon.com/Sukhoi-27-30-33-34/dp/1910809187/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_1_2/140-5051363-8529122?pd_rd_w=FMWPW&content-id=amzn1.sym.3676f086-9496-4fd7-8490-77cf7f43f846&pf_rd_p=3676f086-9496-4fd7-8490-77cf7f43f846&pf_rd_r=H7SRD53TA2DWVP7EVBXZ&pd_rd_wg=qpg6Z&pd_rd_r=9faa7835-627a-45e5-84bf-b7afed99c508&pd_rd_i=1910809187&psc=1)

And even aftermarket decals instructions respects the naming convention 🙂

http://www.begemotdecals.ru/doc/48-007 Su-33.pdf

Edited by Petr
  • Thanks 1