Revell Hawker Typhoon MK 1b 1/32 circa 1973 OOBish

After a run of more complex builds over the past 2 years this seems like the ideal opportunity to travel back in time to the year of 1973 when i was 13 years old .

I would have purchased this kit using saved up school dinner money , pocket money and earnings from my gardening jobs .(probably at a hourly rate of 25p )

The place of purchase would have been Eddys in Helston Cornwall .

Eddy Toy Shop Neon Sign Meneage Street, Helston, Cornwall 5 July 2012

IMG_20220717_162750863

Looking very much like the two train drivers have made a poor decision to abandon their train on the left hand side  :)

IMG_20220717_162839247_HDR

I shall be following the instructions to the letter to avoid mistakes . where it says be careful ,i will be careful .

IMG_20220717_162949171 - Copy

IMG_20220717_162954350_HDR

This build dedicated to Donald Eddy

• Like 18

14 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Looking very much like the two train drivers have made a poor decision to abandon their train on the left hand side

Yep! I remember this box, never able to conserve my pocket money enough to look inside it though!

14 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I shall be following the instructions to the letter

Well, you could but increasingly I'm finding that classic kit instructions are indicative at best 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Well, you could but increasingly I'm finding that classic kit instructions are indicative at best 😉

Gone off piste already as instructions dictate that " If you wish to stop at any point during the construction of your model do so at the end of an assembly sterp "  this i didnt do as i stoped for lunch halfway through step 1 Engine Assembly . Hope this doesnt prove disastrous 😯

• Haha 9

Great to see this one here MM (Hurricane would be nice too),these were way out of the price range back then I got the Seafire in 72 and Warhawk the following

year but only as Birthday pressies! I still think the Typhoon kit is  impressive even after all this years.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great to see this one here MM (Hurricane would be nice too),these were way out of the price range back then I got the Seafire in 72 and Warhawk the following

year but only as Birthday pressies! I still think the Typhoon kit is  impressive even after all this years.

Thanks Steve

My father , a keen scale modeler ,would often give me a completed kit for my birthday to hang on my bedroom ceiling .  I will always remember the 1/32 Fw 190d and Mosquito he made . He was a superb model maker ,probably from his meticulous work methods  In RN as sheet metal engineer at HMS Seahawk

• Like 3

Thank you for including this one.

Always liked these 1/32 Revell kits.  May not be the most accurate but they were affordable.  Always wanted the Typhoon but when I had the pocket money I could never find it.  I had the Mosquito, Me109 and Spitfire.  Spitfire was my first and as a schoolboy,  after so many 1/72  scale kits, I couldn't get over the number of parts, size and detail.  OK they are quite crude by todays kits but at the time they were another world.

• Like 2

Way cool! I remember having a Revell catalog in the late 1980s that showed that box art. I always wanted the kit but never ever saw it at my local shops in Chicago. I did end up getting the FW-190D from the series once. One of the first models I never finished. I distinctly recall my friend Jack being over and we both used it as a missile to smash open forts we built from legos. It was a game. He'd throw it at mine, then I'd throw it at his. Somehow this led to fists, and since he was a much better fighter than I, I do believe I ended up getting the snot beaten out of me in my own home. All very embarassing. He was a psychopath as a child. He flies airliners now. Probably less of a psychopath these days. Remember that the next time you fly the friendly skies. 

The memories a classic model can elicit, eh? ;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled build thread. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Jeepboy said:

Thank you for including this one.

Always liked these 1/32 Revell kits.  May not be the most accurate but they were affordable.  Always wanted the Typhoon but when I had the pocket money I could never find it.  I had the Mosquito, Me109 and Spitfire.  Spitfire was my first and as a schoolboy,  after so many 1/72  scale kits, I couldn't get over the number of parts, size and detail.  OK they are quite crude by todays kits but at the time they were another world.

14 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Way cool! I remember having a Revell catalog in the late 1980s that showed that box art. I always wanted the kit but never ever saw it at my local shops in Chicago. I did end up getting the FW-190D from the series once. One of the first models I never finished. I distinctly recall my friend Jack being over and we both used it as a missile to smash open forts we built from legos. It was a game. He'd throw it at mine, then I'd throw it at his. Somehow this led to fists, and since he was a much better fighter than I, I do believe I ended up getting the snot beaten out of me in my own home. All very embarassing. He was a psychopath as a child. He flies airliners now. Probably less of a psychopath these days. Remember that the next time you fly the friendly skies. 

The memories a classic model can elicit, eh? ;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled build thread. 

Thank you Jeepboy . It seems that this kit was the Wingnut wings Avro Lancaster of its day ,you all wanted one but couldn't afford one . 😢

Soft science,  ii hope you have made up with your friend by now. A school friend of mine who was my main fighting partner from when we were around 12 years old still reminds me how he forced me to eat grass on school playing field. We are still best friends 50 years later . I Will get my revenge on him and my lawn is far grassier than his :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 20/07/2022 at 21:31, John Ballman said:

Excellent choice, hope you have some fun with this kit.

JB

Thanks JB .yes its providing the fun .Can highly recommend it .

Stage 1 Engine Assembly.

started well before 5mins in i realized that both exhaust parts are missing . I bought this kit second hand off ebay many years ago so no chance to ask seller :(

Found a nice set of resin replacements though complete with nice weld detail ,

IMG_20220725_131629389_HDR

Loads of dry fitting to ensure it would fit nice and square in the fuselage halfs .

Stage 2 Cockpit

Went together easily .feels nice and strong , not sure about colour combination . Spent an hour checking out the build logs of the Airfix 1/24 typhoon and there seems to be a variable mix of black , silver and green .

IMG_20220725_131641566_HDR

the belts have been left on as they wont be seen This bird is going to have a pilot .

Not the kit pilot as he did not pass the medical .

I have invested in a set of ICM Allied pilots

IMG_20220722_152424482

Guess which one is the kit original

IMG_20220725_131712918

Yep the pilot is in tropical kit so the decals to match

IMG_20220722_152534374_HDR

Going North African with this kit will contrast well with my Airfix 1/24 bubble top with some invasion stripes . This if i ever get around to building it .

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Mottlemaster said:

Yep the pilot is in tropical kit so the decals to match

IMG_20220722_152534374_HDR

Going North African with this kit will contrast well with my Airfix 1/24 bubble top with some invasion stripes . This if i ever get around to building it .

Oooh Nice choice its one Ive always wanted to do, my goal would be 1/32 or 1/48 as car door types aren't exactly bountiful in 1/72. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As the previous photo of the Revell pilot shows , he is somewhere between the incredible hulk and Morph . After some research on the MOD Air Ministry restricted use website i came across this 1974 experimental experimental desert ,disco camouflage

IMG_20220728_110759127 - Copy

The pilot who got the job below

IMG_20220728_160202176

None of the ICM  Allied pilots come with an oxygen mask which is a shame . The pilots in the British Pilots in Tropical Uniform set all have masks . No life jacket but then in land ground attack missions were they needed .  I would think that if you were to use this pilot in anything Malta related the pilot would have wanted a life jacket .

IMG_20220728_160333739_HDR

Disco pilot on top of 20mm incendiary  cannon round 

IMG_20220728_160726844

dated 1943 , which is the year in which this Typhoon participated

IMG_20220728_160843370

Next job is to close the fuselage sides . I hope to do a dryfit with wings to see if any fuselage width adjustments need to be made .

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

One of my favourite subjects, the Typhoon and the old Revellkit builds up well, I have built two, the last one with the help of some MDC parts, the canopy is a bit of a struggle to fit, well I struggled, others may not.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Thanks stevej60 and Spitfire

16 hours ago, spitfire said:

One of my favourite subjects, the Typhoon and the old Revellkit builds up well, I have built two, the last one with the help of some MDC parts, the canopy is a bit of a struggle to fit, well I struggled, others may not.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Steve and Dennis

I too are useing a few MDC parts . Have used the exhausts as my 2nd hand kit is missing them as is the instrument panel decal . The MDC panel took a bit of frtling to sit square but looks gourgeous  . I am adapting the Revell wings to acept the MDC resin canon shrouds as they are a key feature of the Typhoon .

I do have a MDC prop but it is too small so i would need to reprofile the Revell nose which im not going to do as i dont want to loose all that lovely raised rivet detail :)

Thanks for the Canopy fit warning . i shall do a dry fit soon to look for problems that can be fixed.

Cheers Alistair

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Thanks stevej60 and Spitfire

Thanks Steve and Dennis

I too are useing a few MDC parts . Have used the exhausts as my 2nd hand kit is missing them as is the instrument panel decal . The MDC panel took a bit of frtling to sit square but looks gourgeous  . I am adapting the Revell wings to acept the MDC resin canon shrouds as they are a key feature of the Typhoon .

I do have a MDC prop but it is too small so i would need to reprofile the Revell nose which im not going to do as i dont want to loose all that lovely raised rivet detail :)

Thanks for the Canopy fit warning . i shall do a dry fit soon to look for problems that can be fixed.

Cheers Alistair

I'd forgotten about the prop business, I also bought an MDC one but the kit one fitted and looked better.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Who knew that Elton John could fly a Typhoon !

Good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat . I'm at a music festival in Hampshire for older folk.There are plenty of people in far wayerouter  clothes than my Elton. A weekend of Desmond Morris people watching is fun

Cheers Alistair

Just a small update to cover the point where the wings are ready to be attached to fuselage . I have done over a dozen dry fits and after a wee bit of sanding im satisfied that the fit is good .

Just hope that when glue is applied i can repeat the fit .

IMG_20220813_085552924_HDR

I only just remembered to paint the wing center section as it hadn't occurred to me that this area would be seen through cockpit and engine bay 

Got to get the RAF tropical paints as never done a tropical RAF aircraft .  Has anyone any good recommendations please

Cheers Alistair

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Can't help with paints question, but that is looking like a real brute of an aeroplane. Lovely.

Thanks Jinxman . I'm certainly getting loads of fun from this kit .

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Thank you Dennis for your info and links . I am more than happy to use enamels , and think that in this very hot and humid weather , enamels may be more forgiving .

Looking at the Colourcoats web shop ,the RAF tropical set seems an easy option to go for . Problem is they seem to have no option on the address drop down menu to enter a UK address . I will phone on Monday .

I have used White Ensign enamels in the past and cant help thinking .is there a connection ?

Cheers Alistair

Hi Alistair White Ensign became Sovereign Colourcoats, a member on here (Jamie) took over and has been doing great things with the line of paints, plus he is very friendly and helpful. Just looked at the website and they are closed until tomorrow (15th)

Here is their page on Britmodeller

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/549-sovereign-hobbies/

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1