Hello Chaps,

This is my first post in this section, not technically space or Sci Fi but at the same time it is... 

As you can probably tell from my name, I really like ELO, the first album I bought was a little known masterpiece called 'ZOOM' when released in 2001, I think it is one of the best relatively unknown albums ever produced. What I was drawn too was the fantastic album cover as a 12 year old it was great and I've been hooked ever since.

Zoom

I am going to attempt to model this particular beautifully grungy version as a display, modelled in Fusion 360 and printed on the elegoo mars resin printer, I have spent around 2 hours fiddling and I have the basic shape set, still a lot of surface details and greebles to add but it's a good start, as you can see I am having to add a little bit of artistic licence to the engine area. I will attempt to print the blue glass in blue resin and ad some illumination. I am printing one of at 1/4 of the intended size as a test. 

chitizoom 5

Zoom Spaceship v3

chitizoom 2

chitizoom

Lets see how this goes :)

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

with a complete interior no less!

There will be an interior on this, I plan on the final ship being 200mm in diameter for extra texture.

6 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

I've loved ELO since Face the Music

Your lucky you were there in their heyday, that album was the acorn at the start of very big things to come.

Andy.

• Like 2

Zoom’s not my favourite album, that belongs to Time, but I’ll certainly tag along with this.

Looking good so far. 👍👍👍

Graham

• Like 3

Hi Andy,

cool idea for your project! :clap:

BTW, this is also a great album by Jeff Lynne's ELO - In line with this topic. up035091.gif

Ae4gUw.jpg 

All the best and lots of fun! up040577.gif 

• Like 5

On 7/24/2022 at 6:28 AM, GrahamS said:

Zoom’s not my favourite album, that belongs to Time

No argument here, Time is absolutely excellent, I love em' all... except the first album with Roy Wood, it's crap, best thing he ever did was form wizard and leave Jeff to it.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, roma847 said:

BTW, this is also a great album by Jeff Lynne's ELO - In line with this topic. up035091.gif

Indeed, I got to see a private first ever live performance of when I was a boy and also living thing for TFI Friday (trade secret... it's not all live at the same time) I was stood about 6ft from him and Richard playing 😎  was the closest you could get to seeing them play a small club.

As I'm enjoying doing this, I may well do a few of the different versions, maybe even the ELO2 album cover.

Cheers,

Andy.

Edited by ElectricLightAndy
  • Like 1

Oh, haven't noticed for a while, but if I may follow?

Funny, that I re-discovered ELO only some years ago, being a huge ELO fan in my youth in the seventies and eighties.  And we ALL dreamed of the Out of the Blue Starship, so will follow. To celebrate this I will listen to, well, what could fit; I think TIME. Todays a good fit for remembering the good old 1980ies, where things where so uncomplicated.... 

• Like 4

I haven't listened to any ELO for the last few months, must spin some up on Spottify...

Cheers,

Alan.

P.S. I think the first ELO single I bought was "Roll over Beethoven", about 1972/3? (Where do the years go?)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First test prints for the upper Hull.

Test

Test

This is half the size it'll end up,  it'll make it easier to route the electronics, I'm very happy with this, slight tweak needed on the tolerances.

I will make all the greeblies separately once the main ship is done. I'm looking forward to trying the clear blue resin 😁

Cheers 🍻 

• Like 5

Thanks chaps, I was at the Wembley gig, amaaaaaazing! 

I might do a few versions if this comes out OK, I actually think this could be the trickier one to do, as it'll be paint work dependent on how good it looks, the other colourful ones would be easier to disguise the shoddy work 😅

I'm going to do some cut outs for the electronics in CAD, maybe a bit more surface work and some assembly location points, then I think I can make a start on building the proper one 🤔 

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 1