Is Tamiya talking about discontinuing their paint lines?

Tzulscha

Seems incredibly unlikely, but there is a rumour going around here in the States that Tamiya is going to discontinue all of their paints?

I can't find anything to this effect on t'intrwebs, so I thought I'd reach out to youse guys.

Have any of you guys heard anything about this?

Any of our Japanese modelers heard anything?

Personally, I am dubious.

Tamiya is a world-wide best seller, why would they even consider doing this?

Thanx guys!

Q

25 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Seems incredibly unlikely, but there is a rumour going around here in the States that Tamiya is going to discontinue all of their paints?

I can't find anything to this effect on t'intrwebs, so I thought I'd reach out to youse guys.

Have any of you guys heard anything about this?

Any of our Japanese modelers heard anything?

Personally, I am dubious.

Tamiya is a world-wide best seller, why would they even consider doing this?

Thanx guys!

Q

What is your source?

• Like 1

First I've heard of this.

I do know Japan itself is in a form of covid lockdown, so not much is leaving the country in the way of air or sea under their management.  Instead, they are relying on outside courier service, DHL and FedEx.  This is what I found out when inquiring at PlazaJapan and their shipping rates.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could it be that some of their paints include MEKO (like the Humbrol/Revell paints that are reformulated/ being reformulated)?

(Edit - the acrylics weren't affected by this, so maybe the lacquer paints or something)

Edited by IT_Man
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

What is your source?

One of my customers with a "friend said" source.

I'm in the business and I certainly hadn't heard anything to that effect.

Just thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else had heard anything about this.

I think I can safely quash the rumour for him.

Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

That would be bad,I mean I would probably move on,AK-Real acts just like Tamiya,but just the thought of them not being there seems bad for the hobby.

Edited by Tojo72

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

One of my customers with a "friend said" source.

Does he do his own COVID research, too?

1 hour ago, Tojo72 said:

That would be bad,I mean I would probably move on,AK-Real acts just like Tamiya,but justvthe thought of them not being there.

It wouldn't be the cataclysm that losing Model Master was. Tamiya paint has never appealed to me due to the lack of FS595 matches out of the jar. I've got a lot of it because it was  available locally, but I don't see ever buying more. Over the last year I've started using AK-RC and have some Hataka Orange due in this week. MRP is my spray of choice.

• Like 3

In every single Tamiya model kit there's a advertisement for Tamiya's own paints - the paint guide chart.

In every model shop that carries Tamiya products there's a rack of Tamiya paints. Tamiya Lacquer paints have been around for a few years in Japan, but just started being sold in American model shops last year.

Tamiya paints aren't going anywhere.

A short time ago, there was the pearl clutching and hair on fire boys, lighting up the webs that California had banned Tamiya glue!:drunk::rain:

Yet I can still buy it at Burbank House of Hobbies and Brookhurst Hobbies, if it's in stock, because it sells out fast!  :drink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Masinissa said:

In every single Tamiya model kit there's a advertisement for Tamiya's own paints - the paint guide chart.

In every model shop that carries Tamiya products there's a rack of Tamiya paints. Tamiya Lacquer paints have been around for a few years in Japan, but just started being sold in American model shops last year.

Tamiya paints aren't going anywhere.

A short time ago, there was the pearl clutching and hair on fire boys, lighting up the webs that California had banned Tamiya glue!:drunk::rain:

Yet I can still buy it at Burbank House of Hobbies and Brookhurst Hobbies, if it's in stock, because it sells out fast!  :drink:

Exactly, I know for several years some parts of the States has had limited stock of the paint, so the rumor likely started then. Up here in Canada we have had plenty of stock.

• Like 3

We're still having difficulties here in Michigan filling our orders for the Tamiya acrylic line of colours.

I suspect some paranoia over that after the Testors discontinuation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

I suspect some paranoia over that after the Testors discontinuation.

May Rust-Oleum be cast into the Ninth Level of Hell for that. Yes, I know it's all about what sells, but the loss of Model Master enamels has not made my life any easier. I'll sooner cut off one of my legs than buy any Rust-Oleum product, ever.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 7

If they were cutting back on the paint, it would probably be the thin end of the wedge with more cut backs to come in other area's. Highly doubt it myself, they did change over to smaller paint jars many years ago though ... at least for the UK.

Perhaps they have cut back on new tool 1/32 Aircraft kits, they will never tell us if they have though.

We'll see, no sleep lost over this here so far, just over the heatwave !!

Out of interest, what is the most popular paint choice for modellers here? For me its always been Tamiya with a smattering of other types too.

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

Out of interest, what is the most popular paint choice for modellers here? For me its always been Tamiya with a smattering of other types too.

Same here!

Primarily Tamiya, with some Revell, Vallejo, Humbrol (all acrylics) and K-Color for metallic paints.

• Like 1

It might be they are discontinuing a number of colours. For example the 3 basic colours  for German  afvs has been superseded  withe 3 new ones so it makes sense to stop producing  the old ones 

Dick

It may be more of an issue with US guidelines, but as scooby said, it’s readily available in Canada. Possibly it’s their lacquer enamels, but If it is, then what are they going to do about nail polish, which is also lacquer based! There would be a huge uproar if the US banned lacquers outright! My wife complains about glue and paint smells, but I either use it in my hobby room or outside, weather permitting. When Tamiya’s acrylic line became available here, my wife bought me the whole line for Christmas 1981, most are still good, but they do have a much stronger odour than the current line.  She has no problem using her nail polish in the lounge room however, go figure.
I use any paint that I can thin and brush, or airbrush. Doesn’t have to be model paint as long as it’s not a “hot” lacquer that melts plastic.

I collect vintage model paints and dopes as well as glues, I have some that are now more than 60 years old and they’re still good (even a FROG glue capsule that is still very liquid!). I’ve probably used just about every type of paint in my career both in 1/1 and modelling, and I am set for life with my collection. I have been exposed to so many isocyanates and carsinogens,  I am banned from the state of California! Hahaha 

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MrB17 said:

It may be more of an issue with US guidelines, but as scooby said, it’s readily available in Canada. Possibly it’s their lacquer enamels, but If it is, then what are they going to do about nail polish, which is also lacquer based! There would be a huge uproar if the US banned lacquers outright! My wife complains about glue and paint smells, but I either use it in my hobby room or outside, weather permitting. When Tamiya’s acrylic line became available here, my wife bought me the whole line for Christmas 1981, most are still good, but they do have a much stronger odour than the current line.  She has no problem using her nail polish in the lounge room however, go figure.
I use any paint that I can thin and brush, or airbrush. Doesn’t have to be model paint as long as it’s not a “hot” lacquer that melts plastic.

I collect vintage model paints and dopes as well as glues, I have some that are now more than 60 years old and they’re still good (even a FROG glue capsule that is still very liquid!). I’ve probably used just about every type of paint in my career both in 1/1 and modelling, and I am set for life with my collection. I have been exposed to so many isocyanates and carsinogens,  I am banned from the state of California! Hahaha 

Cheers

Jeff

I though Tamiya paint are acrylic lacquers, not enamel ones?

The whole lacquers being band thing obviously was talked about years ago when lots of people ple seemed to think aqueous acrylics were the only paint in our future, then along came all these acrylic lacquers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, One 48 said:

Vallejo - I have a few pots of Tamiya but rarely use them, they do not produce the colours I use OOTJ (out of the jar)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

I though Tamiya paint are acrylic lacquers, not enamel ones?

They are, just typing too fast… I first found some at Hearn’s in Melbourne of all places, it’s really nice but definitely requires good ventilation!

The price is quite reasonable compared to the equivalent amount in nail polish! The acrylic lacquers do brush very nice with no trace of a brush stroke, however I have done the same with Testors enamels and original Humbrol enamels, it all comes down to proper reduction and a quality brush. I pinstriped (squirrel hair dagger strippers) a great many vehicles with Humbrol, even a Cessna 185! Currently I use 1 Shot. Current Humbrol is not nearly as good as the original, and fades incredibly quickly outdoors. The original Humbrol Metalcote was lacquer based and was incredibly shiny once buffed. Current Metalcote works ok but is much more cantankerous.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 10:11 AM, Steve McArthur said:

It wouldn't be the cataclysm that losing Model Master was. Tamiya paint has never appealed to me due to the lack of FS595 matches out of the jar

I used to think that way but now I almost exclusively use Tamiya paints. The mixing issue was the problem that held me back but now I kind of enjoy making the mixes and sharing what Ive learned. The New LP series has more dedicated matches Iv e got the Dark and Lt ghost greys and a couple of variations on US Olive drab. BTW I think the rumor may be connected to the plant fire in 2020. It delayed multiple paints from being restocked locally here in Chicago for about a year. Though it mostly seemed to effect the X-20 and Lacquer thinners. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, colin said:

Their LP paints are one of the best I used for spraying, pity they don't do more colours 

They're up to like 60 colors now, my one local just started carrying them about 3 months ago. Its almost the same size rack as the standard Tamiya paints. Going there Thursday I can take a photo of the rack if you’d like ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1