Color scheme for this MiG-23MLD?

Boman

That's going to be real challenge. I may have seen and photographed it during the single time I saw flight operations of the Juterbog-Altes Lager regiment, but that would give you the same view as in the linked photo, from the woods on the east side of the airfield. Nearly all other MLDs from the regiment had light brown colour too, this green one was probably an exception.

I know that a lot of spotters (mostly Dutch) were present on the airfield during the day that the regiment pulled back to Russia, so I'm pretty sure many photos were taken. But finding them is the challenge. And they will probably show just one side (the sun side).

If you're extremely lucky, a shelter offered a higher vantage point, so some of the top view camouflage pattern would be visible. And I'm pretty sure none of these spotters carried an FS595B fan deck to match the colours..

All in all, a very long list of ifs! Nearly a mission impossible..

Rob

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

And I'm pretty sure none of these spotters carried an FS595B fan deck to match the colours..

We were too busy dodging the VoPos :P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

We were too busy dodging the VoPos :P

What? There were no VoPos after East and West were reunited, and the former GDR became aircraft spotting territory. And I was never ever bothered by police in the former GDR while aircraft spotting. Or on the highway, or anywhere..

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

We went East in the short period between the tumbling of the wall and reunification, maybe we crossed into territory we weren't supposed to? 

• Like 1

In East-Germany, 1990-1994 period? I do not remember that. Security was generally lax, they did not care.

One exception I remember was Mahlwinkel, where paratroopers were stationed. A few people were taken 'prisoner', one spent the night in jail awaiting a translator. But he found out he could bribe the guard to get vodka during the evening and night, and got very drunk. The translator came in vain :-)

On another occasion, same place, we faced the same problem, but we saw the truckload coming, and *just* outran them. They fired some warning shots, but we were more motivated 🙂 A few months later, we got a tour over the Mi24 parking area, in the back of a truck, for a few DMarks. Interesting times..

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

#42 is also seen on the same date with the same color scheme, while other # shows the 3-tone colors, but find the green-green scheme most appealing and subject for upcoming MiG-23MLD build, hence the question 

2 hours ago, Moggy said:

I remember a spotter being shot by a Soviet airbase guard AFTER reunion...

That was a member of the Militärische Verbindungsmission in Potsdam in the early eighties that was shot at a Russian base at Parchim.The British,French and American drove through the DDR in big Mercedes G-Klasse,Range Rover MkI,Opel and Mercedes Limousines to observe Russian and NVA troups.

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boman said:

#42 is also seen on the same date with the same color scheme, while other # shows the 3-tone colors, but find the green-green scheme most appealing and subject for upcoming MiG-23MLD build, hence the question

I agree it looks great, that green-green scheme. You would have to ask around on Dutch spotters' forums to find more photos.

Rob

12 hours ago, drake122 said:

I also saw a walkaround video on YouTube, of a US private owned Mig-23 in a green-green scheme. Perhaps this is the scheme people here are looking for? I will try to find the video link...

Is it this one of an ex Czech MiG-23UB?.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Boman,

that photo does not show the true colors as it has a severe colourshift. If you want to see the correct colours look here (page 3):

http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-23mld/imgcol/index.html

Or the direct picture link:

http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-23mld/MiG-23MLD/47.MiG-23MLD '51'.jpg

If you compare the borders of the camo you'll see it is the same machine. If looking closely you can make out the borders of the sand coloured areas in your original picture.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1

Here are a couple of pictures found on the internet of Mig-23MLDs based at Jüterbog at the same time.On airliners.net you can find a picture of "red 52" with the green,brown and sand camouflage scheme.

Saluti

Giampiero

mig-23120j8j.jpg

mig-23mkkpf.jpg

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri

15 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi @Boman,

that photo does not show the true colors as it has a severe colourshift. If you want to see the correct colours look here (page 3):

http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-23mld/imgcol/index.html

Or the direct picture link:

http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-23mld/MiG-23MLD/47.MiG-23MLD '51'.jpg

If you compare the borders of the camo you'll see it is the same machine. If looking closely you can make out the borders of the sand coloured areas in your original picture.

Markus, excellent finds! It's quite amazing how the reproduction of the brownish colour can differ so much. A very interesting lesson in photo reliability. Or possibly scanner reliability: I once saw a scanner leaving out the red colours / colour components. It had to be restarted to get it working properly.

The 16va.be site is the best regarding the Soviets/Russians in East Germany. 13 May 1992 must have been the day that the unit was pulled back. Notice three tanks on each aircraft, i.e. ferry configuration. I looked it up, and the unit moved to Totskoye, 2800 km away as the crow flies.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Thanks 2

The photo has a lot of cyan-green on it. For what I remember of the photos of both Soviet and East Germany photos of that time, there was a four shades camouflage with sand (or tan), light green, very dark brown, very dark green that was common at that age on many MiGs and Sukhois.