Jump to content

Glow2B 1/200 Yamato


Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone

I’ve always wanted a 1/200 scale Yamato to motorise believing that the 1/350 is a little too small for our choppy local duck pond. Imagine my surprise when the Glow2B model was released a few weeks ago, well I just had to get one. There are a few websites and videos showing the contents of the box but I wanted to show visitors to this site what the two scales look like next to each other. The aircraft is a 1/48 p-38F for comparison.

I’ve also photographed the excellent newer Tamiya 1/350 version next to the massive 1/200 Glow2B version to show the size comparison, please note the Tamiya version looks a little odd because I’ve just used the lower half of the hull (below the waterline part).

If you are a Yamato nut like me you will find all my photo’s of the 1/10 scale Yamato at the museum in Kure Japan, just open the links to these photo’s in a separate window and it should take you to my Flickr pages.

I’ve done the right thing and given my Dad the Tamiya kit and I’m going to tackle the Glow2B version, it’s going to be a slow build due to the 2800 parts but I’ll attempt to show it’s progress as often as I can.

Both kits look incredible in the box and I’ve dry fitted a few parts on the 1/200 version and haven’t encountered any fit issues so far which is doubly amazing given the size of some of the deck sections.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

This photo shows a 1/35 scale Tiger tank turret next to a Yamato turret.

 

spacer.png

 

Hopefully these pictures may help those still deciding if the 1/200 version is just too big to hide from the missus. Anyway, that’s all for now.

 

Regards

Trace

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday Trace, this'll keep you going for a couple of week-ends at least. 🙂 She was certainly an impressive ship. I'd like one myself, but in 1/600 scale. I don't like my chances. Oh well, I'll just have to follow yours.     Regards, Jeff.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday again, further to my post above, if you had three of those tank turrets it would make an interesting whiff. 🤪 50cm guns. She could probably handle two guns per turret if you could get and fit them. Regards again, Jeff.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting, I am really interested in seeing this come together.

Can I ask you where you bought the kit from?

I'm struggling to find a seller in the  UK that has them in stock.

 

Best Regards 

Keith.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2022 at 2:53 PM, Mpfiend said:

Very interesting, I am really interested in seeing this come together.

Can I ask you where you bought the kit from?

I'm struggling to find a seller in the  UK that has them in stock.

 

Best Regards 

Keith.

 

If I may jump in here - as of this morning, Amazon UK has it in stock.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know Facebook is not everybody's favourite place but there is specilized group for this kit over there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/698412331462044/?notif_id=1658491350537754&notif_t=group_r2j_approved&ref=notif

There is a guy from Pontos regularly posting updates on an upcoming upgrade set and another chap that posted an almost 100 page document listing innacuracies.

Hope this helps!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just applied to join the group so looking forward to see what the 100 pages of errors are especially on a ship for which so much original documentation doesn't exist anymore...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone 

 

First of all many thanks for the comments so far. I've noticed on a few reviews that the reviewers think the decking is continuous but my decking shows that the Glow2B Yamato is planked. It is really difficult to see so I can understand why they think this is the case.

 

spacer.png

 

Hope this helps in any decision making, Regards 

 

Trace

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you see the size of this kit at just under  £400 you wonder how Tamiya get the price of their new one to over £200

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2022 at 14:53, Mpfiend said:

Very interesting, I am really interested in seeing this come together.

Can I ask you where you bought the kit from?

I'm struggling to find a seller in the  UK that has them in stock.

 

Best Regards 

Keith.

 

I got mine from Dave Coley Emporium and I was really impressed with the price and service also unlike Amazon it came in the outer protective cardboard box

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, colin said:

When you see the size of this kit at just under  £400 you wonder how Tamiya get the price of their new one to over £200

I have to agree to some extent given the size differences the Tamiya kit is a gem though and if your stuck for space it's still the best option by a long way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2022 at 13:51, armored76 said:

I know Facebook is not everybody's favourite place but there is specilized group for this kit over there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/698412331462044/?notif_id=1658491350537754&notif_t=group_r2j_approved&ref=notif

There is a guy from Pontos regularly posting updates on an upcoming upgrade set and another chap that posted an almost 100 page document listing innacuracies.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this I'll no doubt check it out. Wìth 2800 parts this build will most likely be an out of the box experience with a few minor tweeks, it looks good enough compared to what was available in 1/200 and I'm happy with what the team at Trumpeter have come up with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can totally understand not wanting to mix and steer too much on a build of this size and extent :thumbsup2: But I can still not stop thinking about the work this guy put in documenting all those details...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Autle said:

I got mine from Dave Coley Emporium and I was really impressed with the price and service also unlike Amazon it came in the outer protective cardboard box

Thanks very much. 

 

Keith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 6:21 PM, Autle said:

Hi Everyone 

 

First of all many thanks for the comments so far. I've noticed on a few reviews that the reviewers think the decking is continuous but my decking shows that the Glow2B Yamato is planked. It is really difficult to see so I can understand why they think this is the case.

 

spacer.png

 

Hope this helps in any decision making, Regards 

 

Trace

 

That would look really good if you base coated the lot and then brushed thinned acrylic ink in ochres, umbers and siennas on individual planks. Just enough to modify the hue slightly. Might take a while though. 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very impressive indeed. Not a fan of post- WWI ships visually, but I have no doubt this will be an inspiring build. Also, the box cover illustration on this is incredible, such a beautiful painting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2022 at 1:51 PM, armored76 said:

I know Facebook is not everybody's favourite place but there is specilized group for this kit over there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/698412331462044/?notif_id=1658491350537754&notif_t=group_r2j_approved&ref=notif

There is a guy from Pontos regularly posting updates on an upcoming upgrade set and another chap that posted an almost 100 page document listing innacuracies.

Hope this helps!

 

Well, it's now three weeks since I applied to join the group and, unfortunately, I've heard nothing back...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, johndon said:

 

Well, it's now three weeks since I applied to join the group and, unfortunately, I've heard nothing back...

That's disappointing, can you contact then at all? If not is there a special interest group on ipms that might be an alternative?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

That's disappointing, can you contact then at all? If not is there a special interest group on ipms that might be an alternative?


Oddly I’ve just this second had a message from Facebook accepting my request so I’m now a member. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 97 page document of issues with the kit from the FB group is a very interesting read even if you plan on building the kit out of the box.  Comparisons are made to photos of the Yamato and to previously published drawings and to the 1/10 model of the ship in Kure.

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...