Airfix 1/48 Chipmunk

zebra

Time for me to get cracking on my first Canadian build. I wanted to do something straightforward while there are other builds in the Turning Japanese GB to finish, and the Airfix Chipmunk fits the bill.

The obligatory box shot:

Airfix Chipmunk

I'm giving the Kits World 3D instrument and seat belt decals a go, I've also got some pre-cut masks and decals for 1960s RAF Chipmunks. Not sure exactly which of the decal options I'll go for, but it'll be either silver or light aircraft grey and it'll have dayglo stripes.

I started this on Friday and pretty quickly got the cockpit done:

Chipmunk WIP

The Kits World instrument decals look nice but I'm not convinced this is the way to go for seat belts. They're a bit too stiff and hard to manipulate. I prefer the Eduard steel ones.

Fuselage has gone together quickly:

Chippie WIP

Should have a complete airframe soon.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

18 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

This is such a good looking plane Julian. A very fitting cute name too. 

You're making tidy work of this kit too mate!

Thanks. It's a lovely little thing isn't it? The only problem is choosing which markings to use - there's a huge number of options out there.

17 hours ago, Grandboof said:

On my to buy list so will interested to see how this builds up .

12 hours ago, Viking said:

I'll be interested to see how this goes together and what you think of it, 'coz I'm tempted to get one!

From my experience so far, I don't think either of you will be disappointed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wings, tailplanes, rudder etc are on. No filler needed. Slight misalignment of the wings (I followed advice elsewhere to remove the locating pins) but easily dealt with. All going very smoothly. I'll have a complete airframe pretty soon. Might be time to start thinking about my next Canadian build already!

Chipmunk WIP

more soon

Julian

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Lovely silver finish on it, I await the post-decaling photos with interest!

Well here it is with some of the decals on:

Chipmunk WIP

I love a bit of dayglo. Particularly when I don't have to paint it!

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 10

Very nice indeed, Julian @zebra, Chipmunks deserve dayglo 'n' silver.

Good idea Airfix providing a jig for the clear parts.

How did you find the fit of the engine panels over the engine ? Mine [ representing the RN Historic Flight ] gave me a bit of a fight.

Memories of ATC flights out of Little Rissington and following a cadet who had thrown up and had only half cleaned it out............

Rog

• Thanks 1

I’m enjoying following this build, too!  I’ve always liked the Chipmunk, ever since I built one of the 16 inch Guillows kits as a teen!  ( Long ago..)

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone 

@roginoz I didn’t have any trouble with the engine panels but I anticipated that they might be a bit tricky and that anything less than spot-on alignment of the engine itself might cause problems. So I took care to make sure the engine was properly aligned and it paid off. 

I like the jig for the clear parts - at first I grumbled to myself about the canopy not being provided as a single piece, but the jig works well and I suspect a one -piece canopy wouldn’t have been as nicely moulded as the part we end up with.

As for that flight of yours - 🤢!

• Like 1

I know this is a bit late, but are your spin-recovery strakes on correctly? 

In the photos they look like they are angled upwards, whereas they are flat, in alignment with the tail plane's leading edge

If they are angled upwards you may have put them on the wrong sides

7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I know this is a bit late, but are your spin-recovery strakes on correctly? 

In the photos they look like they are angled upwards, whereas they are flat, in alignment with the tail plane's leading edge

If they are angled upwards you may have put them on the wrong sides

I was hoping nobody would notice that!