Avro Manchester Bomber Instrument Panel 1:1

Evening BM's

Once again guys, thanks for the support and help with this build, much appreciated.

I managed to get a little painting done today and here's how the Fire Button looks post red paint:

52530565008_f7d5b7cd12_z.jpg

They will look good once I make the decals for them (Fire Extinguisher):

52530019466_a49ef1113a_z.jpg

Ive also started the container jettison switch 5D/608 which looks like this in the real:

52530303364_c26953810c_w.jpg

Again its an item I don't have to hand but thanks to some searching on the web I came up with measurements 55mm x57mm. This fits perfectly on my panel drawing so off I went in fusion:

The first print came out spot on and the ref number etc printed off just right with a .4mm nozzle:

52529554647_48b72038ed_z.jpg

I painted the base satin black which came out like this:

52530497260_9914d5d8f6_z.jpg

The lift cover came next of the press:

52529553637_1ae3b14b90_z.jpg

It fit first time and only required a little clean up:

52530019116_112cb33943_z.jpg

The spring return is just some solder wrapped round a piece of 1.5mm wire with evergreen for end stops:

52530303574_0539ccbc72_z.jpg

I noticed there was a rounded end on the end of the lift catch which I added. A little clean up required before final paint in the morning:

52530496970_1823cab56d_z.jpg

More to come tomorrow, cheers guys

• Like 10

Evening BM's

Cees, correct, they are the early smooth push buttons. I have later types for sizes of the base but, the push button itself Ive guessed at:

Here's the design:

52532738238_7e5a1cf4d5_z.jpg

Not too long to print off 2 items which look really good:

52531716877_dc800ae794_z.jpg

I made them in 2 parts, simple build. Ill paint them gloss black tomorrow:

52531716732_4693c2cdd3_z.jpg

I had some good news today. One of the items Im having difficulty obtaining good dims and pictures of is an Identification Lamp Morse Key No2 Mk3 105C/90.  Mr John Lathwell from the Stirling Bomber Project has said he will loan me one of two he has at the Project for the Manchester panel build. It looks like this item below found on sale from RAF Surplus.

DSCF5914.JPG.opt428x449o0,0s428x449.JPG

Enjoy

Edited by alzictorini
  • Like 9

Afternoon BM's

Once again thanks for the support from the readers and also for the help and info Im getting from others.

More news, Mr Phil Wallis, one of the guys restoring the Lancaster "Just Jane" at East Kirkby informs me that the triple brake unit gauge I made is the wrong type!!! Good gen. He has pointed me in the right direction so ill make a new one in a bit.

I painted the Feather Buttons this morning:

20221130-151426.jpg

Next on the list to design is the Indicator change over switch which looks like this:

Screenshot-20221130-132142-Dropbox.jpg

And I found this drawing in AP1095

20221130-131829.jpg

Back soon..............

Edited by alzictorini
  • Like 9

Evening BM's

Back to the fire extinguisher switches. I received some white decal paper from amazon, MDP to be precise:

20221204-223254.jpg

I made a reproduction of the design I found on the switches from the pics I obtained (see above) last week:

graphic.jpg

They printed of perfectly and after 3 layers of varnish I cut them out, water dipped them and attached them, they are very fiddly!:

20221204-223231.jpg

As they are on white card I had to cut them as close to the black outer line as possible (or you would see an outer white line:

20221204-221522.jpg

Looks the part though and i am happy with the finish:

20221204-221452.jpg

Enjoy

• Like 7

Good morning, Al. I have completed reading your posts for the second time on the Avro Manchester Bomber Instrument Panel 1:1. I also looked at your Hampden Panel and Spitfire Panel projects, although I have not read them in depth.

I have decided to gear up for silicon mould making and resin casting using my FN-64 ventral turret as the plug and your process for creating a resin copy.

To avoid co-mingling my Avro Lancaster build with your Avro Manchester project I would like to ask a few questions about your process on this thread that may be of value to other readers and then ask you to look at my application of your process on my project thread when you have time.

Questions about your process:

1. You indicated that your silicone moulds are made with a 5/100 mix of CS25 Catayst / CS25 Condensation Cure Silicone. However, I could not find in your posts the two-part resin product you mention? I know there are a lot of resin products on the market, but I would like to use the one that has worked well for you.

2. You also mention weighing the components to get the correct mix. Could you describe the type of scale you use to do the weighing?

3. You mention adding black to the resin, but I don’t know if that is a certain type of paint or a resin colour product?

4. I do not plan to invest the amount of time and resources you have, but I would like to understand your process better. The following flow-chart is what I think you are doing.

5. Fusion 360 > STL File > Cura > G-Code > 3D Printer. I am familiar with Fusion 360. I was a structural building designer before I retired and trained in Autodesk AutoCAD, Revit BIM software and Fusion 360 solid modeling software.

6. I would also like to understand the process you use for creating and printing graphics. Serif Draw Plus version 8 > Inkjet Printer. You mentioned printing on water-slide decal paper, so I conclude that you are using an Inkjet printer on special paper for other graphics, is that correct?

7. The last question I have should have been my first; what kind of paper are you using when you layout your Lego wall? Is it part of the mould making process, in other words does the paper stick to the silicone?

Harold

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant

Morning Harold on this very frosty morning here in Lincolnshire (bomber county).

Outstanding questions buddy and questions I will answer tonight. I’ll also try and put together a little demo cast for you which would best fit your mini project. Back soon (post work!) buddy.

• Like 1

Afternoon BMs

Answers to the Questions about my process:

1. You indicated that your silicone moulds are made with a 5/100 mix of CS25 Catayst / CS25 Condensation Cure Silicone. However, I could not find in your posts the two-part resin product you mention? I know there are a lot of resin products on the market, but I would like to use the one that has worked well for you. The resin I use is from MB Fibre Glass in the UK. They have a number of resin and casting kits, all of which I have used. There are some good kits at this link LINK .  Search your local stores for Paintable Fast Cast Polyurethane Liquid Plastic Casting Resins.  It may be easier to try one of the all in one kits such as Alumlite Mini casting kits , these kits have everything in them from mixing jars and containers to resin and silicon. Worth the price as you can mould and cast straight away.

2. You also mention weighing the components to get the correct mix. Could you describe the type of scale you use to do the weighing? I use Salter digital mini scales. I don’t use a tray as I mix my resin and silicone in clear plastic cups.

3. You mention adding black to the resin, but I don’t know if that is a certain type of paint or a resin colour product? I have a number of pigmented colouring for the resins. You don’t have to use these as you can paint the resin instead once cured. As the majority of my casts are black, I cast them with black pigment and they tend to dry almost identical to original gauges.

4. I do not plan to invest the amount of time and resources you have, but I would like to understand your process better. The following flow-chart is what I think you are doing.

5. Fusion 360 > STL File > Cura > G-Code > 3D Printer. I am familiar with Fusion 360. I was a structural building designer before I retired and trained in Autodesk AutoCAD, Revit BIM software and Fusion 360 solid modelling software. Spot on - correct

6. I would also like to understand the process you use for creating and printing graphics. Serif Draw Plus version 8 > Inkjet Printer. You mentioned printing on water-slide decal paper, so I conclude that you are using an Inkjet printer on special paper for other graphics, is that correct? I do use an inkjet printer, currently a HP smart tank plus 555 as it has a huge ink store and at the best price I have found for refills. For my gauge faces I use matte sticking paper. I let the faces dry for 1 hour then apply Loxley fixative spray. The spray prevents smudge and protects it from UV. I have used gloss paper previously, but it will dull in direct sunlight even with fixative so matt it is.

7. The last question I have should have been my first; what kind of paper are you using when you layout your Lego wall? Is it part of the mould making process, in other words does the paper stick to the silicone? This is interesting. I Don’t use paper at all as the silicone will stick to it like sugar!! For the base I use evergreen sheet (nice and flat). I then make my lego wall and pritstick it to the evergreen base (washes off with water post). When Ive poured my silicone into the lego I put weight on the lego wall so nothing squeezes through it. I get a little bit of bleed out but its residual.

Check out this guy for some good mould making advice Robert Tolone

For your turret I would make a one-piece cutaway mould like he does this one!

Ill see if I can make a small mould for a turret similar to yours. Keep an eye on this thread and ill put something together buddy.

Hope this answered your questions, the links I've inserted are all in the UK but I'm sure you'll find them in the US or equivalent.

Edited by alzictorini
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you, Al for your time to answer my questions. I will check out all the links you recommend and I'm following your topic for update posts.

By the way, you mentioned that you see an Avro Lancaster almost every day "I get to see a Lancaster just about every day here at RAF Coningsby". Are you in the RAF or work for the RAF Coningsby Heritage Centre? With your skills and knowledge of aircraft I get the impression that is your field of work.

I am only familiar with the RAF BBMF at the Coningsby Heritage Centre and the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirkby Airfield which I understand is about 9-miles from east other.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant

Morning Harold

I left the RAF last year (36 years) being a Mechanical Engineer. I'm now a civil servant working on base. I'm also a member of the RAF Coningsby heritage centre which is separate to the BBMF visitors centre.

• Like 4

I am pleased to know you were in the RAF. I received a Christmas card from my cousin in Missouri today and she reminded me that no one in our family knew what Uncle Harold did in the RAF. It was not until I began researching his service during the war that we found out he was a Lancaster pilot and flew 11 missions over Germany in 153 Squadron. We knew that his aircraft had crashed, but did not know the circumstances.

I am also a veteran, of the Vietnam War (1963 - 1975) and while I didn’t talk about it for 50-years I believe now that it’s important to share our experience so others understand what we did first-hand. I know many veterans in the American Legion who have served like you did most of their adult life and it means to me that you are something special to give that much time in service to your Country’s defense.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 4

Afternoon BM's

Thank you for those words Harold and thank you for your service in Vietnam, I can imaging you've seen some things.

By any chance was your uncle Harold as mentioned by your cousin, Flying Officer Harry H Schopp, who served in the RCAF? Possibly flew out of RAF Kirmington (just up the road from me) which is now Humberside airport.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 7:33 AM, alzictorini said:

Afternoon BM's

Thank you for those words Harold and thank you for your service in Vietnam, I can imaging you've seen some things.

By any chance was your uncle Harold as mentioned by your cousin, Flying Officer Harry H Schopp, who served in the RCAF? Possibly flew out of RAF Kirmington (just up the road from me) which is now Humberside airport.

Good evening, Al. Yes, Harry H Schopp is my uncle. His legal name was Harold Harrison Schopp and he was 26 when he died. I don't know how long he was in the RCAF or RAF 153 Bomber Squadron. The report below is one of four documents we have from the Air Ministry. I believe in October 1944 his part of the squadron moved to Scampton and that is where he departed on the evening of 17 December 1944 for Ulm, Germany.

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Bless them all :poppy:

And a thank you for your service from me too, Harold. I'm also ex RAF.

Thank you, Pete. I have a little side story: My wife gave me a vest to wear at American Legion functions that has Uncle Harold's Squadron badge on it and many times American veterans ask me about 153 Bomber Squadron. You should see their faces when I tell them my uncle flew Lancaster bombers in the RAF. A lot of people in American today don't know what happened in the Second World War and that is my mission, I want everyone to remember the sacrifice our parents and grandparents generation made for our freedom.

Harold

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 5

I like the vest and the reason that you proudly wear those badges.

Where I live now was an Officers Home (built in the fifties for Thor Missiles) at a satellite base to Scampton. RAF Hemswell. It was closed down in the sixties.

Scampton is just seven miles South of here and I served there in the early nineties and a little later as a Civilian on the same Aircraft.

I pass Scampton five days a week on my way to work. The other side of Lincoln. On land where they built up/repaired Lancasters for RAF Waddington.

Humberside Airport (Kirmington) is about half an hour away.  We are surrounded by history here. Only a fool would forget.

Regards and, Al, please ignore the thread drift) Pete

• Like 2

Hi Pete

Wouldn't you know it, living in Lincs you would probs be an ex RAFy. The drift is not a problem, im loving it :)

Harold - I notice in 153s history book uncle Harry appears 19 times. It gives a good account of what aircraft he flew etc - 153 History For those reading, click the link to the left, then hit Ctrl F and type in Schopp. You should see him 19 times.

The media officer at Coningsby is going to look through the archive their as he believes he has 153s Operational Record Log on file. Lets see what comes up.

• Like 3

Thank you, Al. That means a lot to me. I’m looking forward to checking out the link you posted below.

Harold

7 minutes ago, alzictorini said:

Hi Pete

Wouldn't you know it, living in Lincs you would probs be an ex RAFy. The drift is not a problem, im loving it :)

Harold - I notice in 153s history book uncle Harry appears 19 times. It gives a good account of what aircraft he flew etc - 153 History For those reading, click the link to the left, then hit Ctrl F and type in Schopp. You should see him 19 times.

The media officer at Coningsby is going to look through the archive their as he believes he has 153s Operational Record Log on file. Lets see what comes up.

• Like 2

Morning BM's

Harold, Just been over to my media friend and he has some fascinating info on your uncle Harry. I would suggest we take this from here as a Private Message and ill put you in direct contact with him so he can share the info privately. I have a picture of your uncle in front of me. here is a small portion of the info we have on Harold H Schopp:

Enlisted – Hamilton Ontario 14 March 1942

AC – 2    14 Mar 1942  (Aircraftsman)

LAC   26 Sep 1942  (Leading Aircraftsman)

T/Sgt   1 Oct 1943  (Temporary Sgt)

TFS  1 July 1944   (Temporary Flight Sgt)

Acting flying officer   5 Nov 1944

Looks like he joined as airman aircrew but as he progressed through training as a pilot he became commissioned.

Out of interest Harold, is there a Mexico in Missouri?

Check your personal messages

Enjoy

Edited by alzictorini
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2022 at 5:38 AM, alzictorini said:

Morning BM's

Harold, Just been over to my media friend and he has some fascinating info on your uncle Harry. I would suggest we take this from here as a Private Message and ill put you in direct contact with him so he can share the info privately. I have a picture of your uncle in front of me. here is a small portion of the info we have on Harold H Schopp:

Enlisted – Hamilton Ontario 14 March 1942

AC – 2    14 Mar 1942  (Aircraftsman)

LAC   26 Sep 1942  (Leading Aircraftsman)

T/Sgt   1 Oct 1943  (Temporary Sgt)

TFS  1 July 1944   (Temporary Flight Sgt)

Acting flying officer   5 Nov 1944

Looks like he joined as airman aircrew but as he progressed through training as a pilot he became commissioned.

Out of interest Harold, is there a Mexico in Missouri?

Check your personal messages

Enjoy

Yes, Mexico is a farm community in central Missouri about 100-miles west of Saint Louis. The dairy farm Harold's family owned was establish in the 1830's about the time Missouri became a State. Mexico was founded (1836) by the Reverend Robert C. Mansfield and James H. Smith, it was named for a tavern sign reading “Mexico that-a-way”.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 3

Evening BM's

An update on the fire switches and the covers. I didn't like the solid state items and so Ive made them operable. On the Manchester  the covers for the starter switches are the same but painted black, here's the new batch with a few fitted to some replica switches I cast from originals:

20221220-211734.jpg

They look much better and work!

• Like 4

BM's

Next on the list is the Indicator Lamp/Change Over switch. I found an exact item for sale on ebay (for £95 currently and rising), this is the first time ive seen a real item and not just a diagram from a book so these pics have helped a lot. I obtained the measurements from the instrument panel layout diagram and so went ahead and designed what I saw in fusion (with a few measuremnts):

360ind.jpg

This was converted into Cura for my printer to process as a G-Code:

cura.jpg

These are the items printed off:

20221220-211541.jpg

I test fitted the items and they fit perfectly:

20221220-211606.jpg

All they need now is a good clean up and paint:

20221220-211636.jpg

Enjoy

Edited by alzictorini
  • Like 6