Italeri 1/72 Phantom FG.1 (Fujimi) to FGR.2?

Smudge

Just a quick question. I know you guy's will save me several hours of trawling through the internet 😬

Can a RAF Phantom FGR.2 be made out of this kit issue? or will I need to seek out an old Fujimi FGR.2 issue?

Scalemates is 'down' at the mo, or I'd post a link to the kit. But I'm sure you guy's know it. Italeri released it a couple of years ago. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scalemates back up now. This one

http://scalemates.com/kits/italeri-1434-f-4m-phantom-fg1--1194243

Edited by Smudge

• Smudge changed the title to Italeri 1/72 Phantom FG.1 (Fujimi) to FGR.2?

You will probably be close, but the main issue will be the Horizontal Stabs.

FG-1 (F-4K) have "Slotted" Stabs, which means they have an additional Aerofoil Section fixed to their leading edge.  The FGR2 Doesn't have these, and have plain leading edges (although I recall at least one photo of one Phantom that is the exception that proves the rule, but this was late on in the Phantom's RAF service, and they were not about to buy a new set of stabs.)

My Guess is that only the FG-1 set of Stabs will be in the box, 

All of the other stuff- Non-extending Nose Leg and fairings for the under-fuselage Catapult Bridle Hooks should be in the box. 

I'll try and find a Sprue Map for clarification. 

Can't have too many Phantoms 🙂 

UPDATE:

Have a look at Paul's thread here:  

Fujimi FG-1 Sprues

Looks like Slotted (FG1) Stabs are on the Sprue with the Left Hand Side of the fuselage, and the Gap in the Top Right of the R/H Fuselage Sprue is were the Unslotted stabs would be- depending on how the Italeri re-pop was done, they may or may not be in the kit.

I can also only see Hooked Fairings for the catapult bridles- they fit to the lower wing part - so they will need filling in. 

The short Nose Leg is the un-extended version of the Navy extended leg, with two oleos and two scissor links. Not perfect for an FGR2 but close enough for Jazz. Just leave the aft Scissor link off. (your milage may vary 🙂 )

Have fun!

Troffa, in COVID lockdown. 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Airfix re-boxing of their FG.1 with RAF schemes rather than the original RN kit has all the parts for the FGR.2 including the stabs. Someone may have a spare set. Will take a bit of fettling to get them to fit but they should do the job if you can find some.

Stuart

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cherisy said:

Like Troffa said above plus the FGR2 didn't have the 3 landing lights on the nose wheel door.

The FGR 2 had a single landing light in the nosewheel door. Look at photos of FGR 2's and you'll see what I mean.. HTH :cheers:

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies and the info, guys. I have one of these kit's and was just wondering if it would be an idea to get a couple more to do as FGR.2's. I think it's such a great kit. 

22 hours ago, Troffa said:

Can't have too many Phantoms 🙂 

Nope, you certainly can't :)

22 hours ago, Troffa said:

My Guess is that only the FG-1 set of Stabs will be in the box, 

Yes, just had a look, only the FG.1 Stabs. I couldn't remember about the different Stabs, thanks for helping out with that. 

5 hours ago, cherisy said:

Like Troffa said above plus the FGR2 didn't have the 3 landing lights on the nose wheel door.

Interestingly, this FG.1 kit has the three lights as moulded detail (small raised circles) but the instructions say to remove these. I guess that is an error? they seem to be on all the FG.1's that I can find pictures of (on Google).

We'll I guess I won't be doing any FGR.2's from this particular issue of the Fujimi British Phantom. I'll still probably get a few more though. The decal sheet is nice and all three options are tempting :coolio:

Thanks for the help, Guys.

• Like 1

Those three lights on the Nose wheel Door are remnants of the Catapult Launch System- and are on all FG-1's-  I never saw them operated on our jets, but they remained installed.  I believe they were a kind of "traffic Light" signal to Fleet Air Arm Deck crew to let them know the Jet was ready to launch. Our Senior Service colleagues may know more...

Cheers,

Troffa

14 minutes ago, Troffa said:

I believe they were a kind of "traffic Light" signal to Fleet Air Arm Deck crew to let them know the Jet was ready to launch.

These lights were for the benefits of the LSO, to check for the correct landing approach. See this post:

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1