Carro Armato M13/40 - Tamiya - 1/35

7 hours ago, nheather said:

Hi,

Question about the link and length tracks.

Did you build them around the wheels or did you build them flat first and then when the glue was still a little soft, formed them round the wheels.

I’m assuming the latter because I imagine that tracks would get stuck to the wheels using the first method.

Hi,

I build them flat first. Actually not flat, rather to the shape more or less similar to what they should look like once attached. Then, I waited for 5-10 minutes, and then attached them to the wheels. They were soft enough to accommodate to the wheels, but glue was dry enough not to stick to the wheels. I am using this method with the indy links as well, with only difference that I assemble them completely flat, on the double sided duct tape, glue them, wait for 5-10 minutes, remove them from the tape and accommodate them to the wheels.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Hi,

I build them flat first. Actually not flat, rather to the shape more or less similar to what they should look like once attached. Then, I waited for 5-10 minutes, and then attached them to the wheels. They were soft enough to accommodate to the wheels, but glue was dry enough not to stick to the wheels. I am using this method with the indy links as well, with only difference that I assemble them completely flat, on the double sided duct tape, glue them, wait for 5-10 minutes, remove them from the tape and accommodate them to the wheels.

Cheers,

Nenad

Nice tip on the double sided!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, hope you are all well.

I'm back from vacation and ready to do some modelling.

Primed everything with grey Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500. And noticed that I forgot antenna holder 😕

It's not included in the kit, so I scratched something with PE.

IMG_20220813_162230

I was not able to find any reference photos of the particular vehicle I have decals for, which is the one with the registration number RE 3088. So I decided to finish this one as the vehicle that participated in the Battle at Bir el Gubi, in November 1941. This was one of the opening battles of Operation Crusader and the first battle in the Western Desert campaign where Italians, and in particular Ariete division, under the command of General Mario Balotta, performed successfully and valiantly. Timewise, it makes sense to place Series 3 tank in this period. This is one of the photos that I will be using as an inspiration, but I will combined it with few other photos from the same period.

images

These tanks (post March 1941) were factory finished in Khaki Saharaiana, and it seams that most tanks were left like that, without any disruptive paint. I'll go with that option. Finished painting with Hataka Khaki Saharaiana as base paint and combination of Gunze, Vallejo and Tamiya for detail painting.

IMG_20220819_124615

I was never happy with my technique regarding the tracks, so I am always experimenting with new approaches. This time, they are painted with the mix of Tamiya Dark Iron and Flat Brown. Then, Mr. Metal Color Stainless Steel was dry brushed, which is buffable. And at the end, I added just a little bit of truck rust pigments. 

IMG_20220819_124738

And here are some tools, exhausts. stowage, etc,

IMG_20220819_125413

IMG_20220819_125439

And finally, everything (mostly) put together. Some chipping applied as well. I'll still have to decide where to put jerrycans, to tie down stowage where necessary, and few other details.

IMG_20220820_215949

As I was planning to hang jerrycans on the right side handle, I noticed that it's missing. I completely forgot it :facepalm:

Scratched something quickly with wire and PE. Hope paint will stick to it.

That is it for now. One or two more sessions and I can call it done.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 8

Evening everyone,

Everything put together and ready for some dusting:

img_20220822_130655

img_20220822_130711

Before spraying pigments, I like to mask the tracks and apply dry pigments with the brush later. That way, the shining areas are being preserved.

img_20220822_131141

First, I airbrushed North Africa Dust nature effects (AMIG1404). Thicker in the lower part of the model.

img_20220822_150159

Removed the excess from the areas exposed to wear with the brush dump in enamel spirits. After leaving the model to dry for a day or so, I added some dry pigments (combination of pale and yellow sand) to make some variety. I moistened them with enamel spirit and after letting them dry, rub off the excess with the sponge.

img_20220823_195201

img_20220823_195219

Almost there I think. Not sure if attaching MG makes sense with close turret lids?

Aerial is yet to be added. Not sure about the dimensions. Does anybody know what should be the thickness and length?

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 10

Hello @Nenad Ilijic, just saw your completed build, looks great.  

About the marking question you had posted in your build log, the solid colour is likely a company HQ vehicle, while the number above it must mean it contained more than one vehicle.   So it could be either red, blue, yellow, or green if there was a fourth company.  

Battalion HQ used black for their markings, but the commander himself used the multi-coloured symbol based on the number of companies under his command.

https://www.zimmerit.com/zimmeritpedia/ITALIA_sez_2.html

simboli_tab_5.gif

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Thanks 1