1:72 Short Sunderland Mk.III 'N-Nuts'

That is a simply stunning build Roger, absolutely lovely work, your paint and weathering are superb!

It brings back many happy memories for me too - although a later mark the Hendon Sunderland was for a long time kept at Pembroke Dock. As a boy my late dad delivered bread all round Pembrokeshire with one of the first stops being RAF Pembroke Dock, and I'd go with him every Saturday. Being ex-RAF he'd go off for breakfast in the Sergeants Mess while they let me in the Sunderland! Sitting in the pilots seat attacking and sinking a U-boat every week was the stuff of a 10 year olds dreams....!! :)

Absolutely beautiful model! 

Keith

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That is a simply stunning build Roger, absolutely lovely work, your paint and weathering are superb!

It brings back many happy memories for me too - although a later mark the Hendon Sunderland was for a long time kept at Pembroke Dock. As a boy my late dad delivered bread all round Pembrokeshire with one of the first stops being RAF Pembroke Dock, and I'd go with him every Saturday. Being ex-RAF he'd o off for breakfast in the Sergeants Mess while they let me in the Sunderland! Sitting in the pilots seat attacking and sinking a U-boat every week was the stuff of a 10 year olds dreams....!! :)

Absolutely beautiful model! 

Keith

Thanks very much for the kind words Keith - much appreciated. The Sunderland is clearly a well-loved type, and I understand much more why now!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

Very nicely done, lovely pair of shorts in the last pics!

Who doesn't love a pair of Shorts?! Appreciate the kind words...

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi All,

My latest completion is Special Hobby's Short Sunderland Mk.III, modelled as EJ134 'N-Nuts' of 461 Sqn RAAF, based at RAF Pembroke Dock, Wales, 1943, and captained by Flt Lt C B Walker. The Sunderland was known as The Flying Porcupine for its extensive defensive armament and ability to fight off enemy aircraft. 'N-Nuts' very much lived up to this name on 2nd June 1943, whilst on patrol over the Bay of Biscay she was attacked by no less than 8 Ju88s of KG40. During this protracted engagement the crew of EJ134 destroyed 3 of the Ju88s, severely damaging another 2. EJ134 also sustained significant damage as well as several of the crew being severely injured, and Sgt E C B Miles sadly succumbing to his mortal wounds. However, the crew nursed the damaged aircraft back to the Cornish coast without incident and eventually beached the aircraft on Praa Sands. There is an extensive account of the battle on the 'Aircrew Remembered' website - it is compelling reading:

http://aircrewremembered.com/walker-colin.html

I have found two photos of EJ134 - both of these photos are copyright Poole Flying Boat Celebration, and will be removed on request. Here's their website, which again is well worth a look:

http://www.pooleflyingboats.com/archive/04 Changes-at-Poole-with-RAF-Hamworthy.pdf

461 Sqn were stationed at RAF Harmworthy near Poole before relocating to Pembroke Dock, and the website contains a wealth of evocative period detail. The first photo shows the ground crew in front of EJ134:

Screenshot-2022-05-10-195855.jpg

The second shows 'N-Nuts' after ditching at Praa Sands:

Screenshot-2022-05-10-195759.jpg

You can see the distinctive wavy camouflage demarcation on the rear fuselage in this photo. Here's a couple more very evocative shots showing Sunderlands at Pembroke Dock:

8108123793efc8e5abd903a909f69afc.jpg

download.jpg

I suspect these are newly-delivered aircraft, as there are no squadron codes applied. 

Right - to the build! Here's a link to the WIP if anybody is interested:

Here's a couple of shots in progress to show the lovely interior detail:

20220501-135952.jpg

20220501-140943.jpg

20220507-163042.jpg

Finally, here's the finished article, which was mostly OOB save a set of Montex masks:

20220716_152007.jpg

20220716_152050.jpg

20220716_152130.jpg

20220716_152150.jpg

20220716_152210.jpg

20220716_152228.jpg

20220716_152246.jpg

20220716_152312.jpg

20220716_152317.jpg

20220716_152339.jpg

20220716_152615.jpg

20220716_152627.jpg

20220716_152704.jpg

20220716_152712.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist a couple of shots with another large Short Brothers aircraft - the Stirling Mk.I of PO Rawdon 'Ron' H Middleton VC RAAF, which has its own extraordinary story of Aussie bravery:

20220716_152427.jpg

20220716_152506.jpg

A pretty imposing pair of aircraft, even in gentleman's scale! I've very much enjoyed the challenge of this build - the kit has the usual Special Hobby foibles but I believe it builds up into a pretty accurate Mk.III. I must thank @LDSModeller who was a valuable source of advice on Sunderland detail throughout the build, and @AliGauld whose parallel Mk.V build provided much inspiration along the way. Thanks also to all those who added words of encouragement throughout the build - as ever it is sincerely appreciated,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Super. Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Super. Well done.

Alain

Thanks for the kind words Alain!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aerotechi said:

Stunning build and always interesting when you find some back story and actual pics.

Thanks for the kind words - it's those stories which, for me, make this hobby worthwhile. Glad you enjoyed it!

Marvellous modelling, the finish is absolutely superb on both, you should be rightly proud of them, you must also have a large display area because they look big even in 1/72!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Marvellous modelling, the finish is absolutely superb on both, you should be rightly proud of them, you must also have a large display area because they look big even in 1/72!

Thanks very much! They will be stored away like most others - with models this size one will always be Short of space. 🤣

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, M.T.Dolby said:

An absolutely beautiful couple of models there, bravo!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words M.T. - much appreciated!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

Superb Sunderland beautifully finished. Well done!

Miguel

Thanks for the kind words Miguel - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

17 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Wonderful Sunderland Roger. When I was a boy I went on the one at Pembroke docks which now resides in the RAF museum. Great Stirling too.

Pete

Thanks very much Pete - clearly everybody loves a Sunderland!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amos brierley said:

You must be ‘N’ nuts for building such a big model (pair (Stirling)), but very ‘N’ nice to see.      😉

Thanks for the kind words Amos - they were both trials but I think worth the perseverance!

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

8108123793efc8e5abd903a909f69afc.jpg

I bet:

the one at the back will be needed for the early take-off in the morning.

the day shift will pretend not to know that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's a very good piece of work there, Dunny. Well dun indeed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1